RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/)
-   -   Using The OS GG5 Plug on an RCGF 15 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/11630779-using-os-gg5-plug-rcgf-15-a.html)

Bullseye52 07-04-2016 02:20 PM

Using The OS GG5 Plug on an RCGF 15

Hi Guys & Gals,
I'm not too wordy but I thought you might want to know that I put a plug adapter (that I got from Valley View RC) on a new out of the box RCGF 15 gas engine. I mounted a new OS GG5 plug and using a fresh mix of 32:1 fuel gave it a go. I have to admit I was skeptical about this from the start but figured what the heck, the adapter was under $15 and the plugs I got off of EBay where a seller was offering 4 of them for $35. Anyway, I used a starter motor to spin the engine and it started very easily. I did not adjust the needles from what the manufacturer set them from the factory. I started and stopped the engine several times and took it through what I considered to be a standard break in. Again, it started every time and in my opinion ran better than an engine on electronic ignition. The prop I used was an APC 15x8. Maybe one of you guys can do a video of what you experienced on this type of set up. The plane its on is a Seagull "Aviat Husky", which is probably an ideal airframe for this experiment.

Happy Flying!
Loopman :p

Bullseye52 07-10-2016 03:02 PM

Re: Using The OS GG5 Plug on an RCGF 15

Well my test flight was a success! The engine ran flawlessly and had plenty of power for the Husky. I had three flights and each time the engine fired up without issue. Not sure if this would work on larger displacements though.

Happy Flying!

Bullseye52 :cool:

bcchi 07-11-2016 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Bullseye52 (Post 12233275)
Well my test flight was a success! The engine ran flawlessly and had plenty of power for the Husky. I had three flights and each time the engine fired up without issue. Not sure if this would work on larger displacements though.

Happy Flying!

Bullseye52 :cool:

I have flown the OS-5 Glo plug in the DLE 30,DLE 20 and the valley view 20.All run better then I expected.The 30 run better then the 20.I have put Ign back on all of them seems to start and run better and idle much better.Only have one flight on the VV 20 and it ran OK.
I remember the Glo plug days.
You can not find your glo igniter.
Glo igniter is dead.
You loaned it to a friend.
Friend took it home by mistake.
Can not find your spare igniter.
When you find it is dead.
GG may be the way to go for some fliers.Some fliers just cannot use the ignition systems.
May try the VV 40 twin on glo gas some day when I am board.
BCCHI Tired old CH guy.

captinjohn 07-11-2016 07:34 PM

bcchi, it is good to hear from you. I am about ready to try flying again after my hand surgery. I was wondering if you ever hear from Antique? Wishing you both a great 2016 & have fun. Best Regards, John

spaceworm 07-12-2016 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by captinjohn (Post 12233818)
bcchi, it is good to hear from you. I am about ready to try flying again after my hand surgery. I was wondering if you ever hear from Antique? Wishing you both a great 2016 & have fun. Best Regards, John

Hi captinjohn. Do you think the OS-5 Glo plug would work in the Echo 16cc conversion engine I got from you a few years back? It had a glow plug adapter in it, and no flywheel etc. Thanks. BTW, I am recovering from appendix, gall bladder,and terminal ilium removal. Hope to be back building and flying soon.

Sincerely, Richard

MTK 07-13-2016 12:29 PM

The OS 5 plugs for gas/glow are a lot less expensive purchased at RCJapan. I think they cost about 7.50$. In fact most any part for Japanese engines is often 40-50% less from RCJapan compared to any local source. Mufflers and headers are even less than that typically

Shipping is reasonable and delivery is typically one week.

captinjohn 07-13-2016 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by spaceworm (Post 12233912)
Hi captinjohn. Do you think the OS-5 Glo plug would work in the Echo 16cc conversion engine I got from you a few years back? It had a glow plug adapter in it, and no flywheel etc. Thanks. BTW, I am recovering from appendix, gall bladder,and terminal ilium removal. Hope to be back building and flying soon.

Sincerely, Richard

I would think it would work fine. Was that one a brand new short block engine? One guy bought 2 from me to build a twin. It was AV8TOR I think. We shared a lot on gas-glow engine conversions. Best Regards, John

bcchi 07-18-2016 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by captinjohn (Post 12233818)

Yes,I talk to Ralph often.
BCCHI