RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/)
-   -   Newbee needs help (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/11647513-newbee-needs-help.html)

TAUMULLER 04-22-2018 06:25 PM

Newbee needs help

So I am trying to get my 60cc evolution engine to start and run consistently. Have had a few problems first gas plane so all new to me.

It's a evolution 62gx 60cc gas .engine. I have had it running but it seems to flood really easy.

Here is a senario cold start choke on ignition on hand prop 4to 5 flips she will pop. Choke off 4to 5 flips and bingo starts.

Let it run a little warm it up and it's idling around 1800 rpm.

Should mention brand new engine plane has not been flown yet.

So I ran it 5to7minutes up and down on throttle seems good strong good response.

Shut off and restart hot 2flips no choke .

Let it go cold same sequence choke on 4 to 5 flips popsp choke off 4to 5 flips starts.

3rd trycold start after 5 flips no pop and now I smell fuel won't start....pull plug soaked fuel Poor's out of cylinder.

This has happened 3times were it just floods after it has been running. Then I have to dry out plug and engine . Then have a hard time starting . Unless it's a new plug.

One thing did notice is the spark plugs are coming out black on the electrode. Maybe running to rich how do I tell.

Don't see a lot of smoke or excessive oil or gas from exhaust.. am running a hotter ngk plug.

At first I could not get fuel to the carb now I get to much.
It seems that I might be close since it starts pretty easy and is almost consistent with the number of flips.

Then again I am new and don't have a base line on were it should be on idle or if it's rich or lean.

Seems like it fowls the plug. If I use a new plug it will start up a couple of times but then after running it a couple of times it floods. Iwas going to try starting it tommorow with the cleaned plug will see how that goes. I have a feeling it won't start and will flood.

I hope somebody can give me some pointers or direction on this. All my flying buddies are flying electric they are no help.

T

w8ye 04-23-2018 10:11 AM

The needle is not fully seating in ZDR regulator side of the carburetor.

TAUMULLER 04-23-2018 06:50 PM

Can you be a little more specific... what do you mean by zdr regulator side of the carb. I got it to start cold ..no go with choke on after 5 flips no start... choke off about 10 flips some life .. and about 2 more it started. With choke on smelled fuel after 3 flips.

nothing in the manual about zdr regulator.. just low and high jets setting. The carburetor is recessed in the front of the fuselage kinda behind the firewall. Its a hangar 9 p3 biplane so i cannot access the carb intake area with out removing the engine . Im trying to avoid that. So what ever carb settings have to be done engine mounted. Leaned something tonight after 4 or 5 flips and no start choke off and then flip 10 to 12 will start.

thanks ... cut finger institute hope it wasnt bad.. my friend needed 50 stiches last year in his fore arm electric plane bit him while he was carrying it. hope you are kidding about the mangled hand ... i am getting more comfortable hand propping this bird,, but am still intimidated. I bought a chicken stick and a electric starter.. still using my hand. Once i get this dialed in will use the starter. Dont want to think what would happen if you caught this prop in the hand or finger. .

any more info would be great thanks. todd

w8ye 04-24-2018 03:24 PM

There's two sides to your carburetor, the pump side which includes a diaphragm and two check valves. Then there is the regulator side that includes a diaphragm that operates a needle and its seat valve. The needle is not completely shutting the valve off and fuel is leaking into your engine.

CK1 04-24-2018 04:02 PM

On the inlet needle side of the carb be sure the gasket goes against the carb body and the diaphragm goes on top of the gasket then the cover is over the diaphragm . If the diaphragm is against the carb body it can prevent the needle from seating correctly and can cause rich running , hard starting and flooding .

TAUMULLER 04-24-2018 06:28 PM

Thanks for the info ..this is a brand new engine i suppose it could have been assembled wrong. Like i said i have to remove the engine to get to the carb.

Is there any thing else i need to know or do . Doesnt sound correct that i have to disasemble a brand new engine/ carb . But then again evolution engine is supplied thru horizon hobby and i am not to pleased with them.

Had to get a custom made muffler horizon hobby sold the engine but had no mufflers for it... that was nice after i spent 1500.00 on the plane engine prop etc .. there customer service is not like it used to be.

enough rambling... if anybody else has any tips of pointers im listening. am i doing the correct start procedure ... ignition on choke on throttle 1 click up flip 4-5 times till it pops .. choke off flip it 5-6 times till it starts. Thats what the guys at the field do and on you tube.

or should i do something different.
mt friend says gas is a pain in the ass stick with electric.... nah go big or go home.

CK1 04-25-2018 12:35 AM

While I don't have the same engine that you have I feel the start procedure you are using is correct. I have used that same starting procedure for 20+ years on all of my engines . I think the carb is the issue at hand . It's time to pull things apart and inspect .

kmeyers 04-25-2018 05:39 AM

Are you at the Shoefactory RD field? I fly there and me and my buddies are mostly gas. Are you in Trivillage or Northwest clubs?

tailskid 04-25-2018 05:49 PM

The only difference from what I do that when choke is on, I put the throttle at full open.

TAUMULLER 04-25-2018 06:04 PM

I fly at busse rd and over at pratt wayne woods. I have not maidened this bird yet. Been flying all kinds of electric for 12 yrs. This is my first big gasser a little assistance on my maiden flight might not hurt.

Maybe i can hook up with you guys at shoe factory rd in the next month or so. Getting close to maiden time just a few odds and ends... and get this thing to start consistently .