RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/)
-   -   DLE 20 trouble (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/11662658-dle-20-trouble.html)

Stick 40 03-26-2019 03:11 PM

DLE 20 trouble

I am working on a used DLE 20 . I got it running on the ground , but on every take of it would sputter and die out. I put in new fuel line and that did not help. I am now putting in a new tank and line.
I have looked at the links for posable solutions and found that I should have a felt clunk in it. I will get one.

But I had a thought, not sure what size fuel lines the different size Gas engines need. I am putting 3/32 I.D. for this DLE 20. is that big enough for fuel flow?

thanks for any help.

sticks

Truckracer 03-26-2019 06:18 PM

A 3/32" fuel line will more than handle that engine and much larger engines. Line size is not your problem. How old is that 20? Maybe it is time to install a rebuild kit. At minimum I'd disassemble the carb and inspect the diaphragms to make sure they are soft and pliable. More than likely that is your problem. Another area to check while the carb is open is the small strainer screen under the pump diaphragm. It can be removed, cleaned and reinstalled but replacement is better. They are notorious for getting a sort of slime, clear coating on that screen that dries and restricts fuel flow. Once hardened, that coating is very hard to detect and remove. A screen is included in every rebuild kit and kits are only about $10. Valley View RC among other places is a good source for the kit.

Stick 40 03-27-2019 04:42 AM

Hi,
Thanks, I am just trying to sort it out. I don't mind a problem, kind of a challenge. I bought the Ultra Stick Lite used and the problem came with it. Don't know how old, but it will run good on the bench and I think that hints at being fixable.
I will stay with the fuel line, but I read I need the felt filter in the tank. I will get that today.
If the new line, gas tank, felt filter does not help. I plan to order the rebuild kit anyway and may put it in.
my buddy wants to do glider towing with it , he has a big one . We want to try that , if I can get this to run. If not, I have another 20 cc to put on it.
I did not think it was the screen, because it runs on the bench. But is tilting it up 45 degrees , makes it try and draw more fuel. It might be the carb. or screen!

yes I have bought from Valley View RC before , good company.

anyway, good info. I will try and repost when/if I fix it or trash it. LOL

sticks

BarracudaHockey 03-27-2019 04:52 AM

I run felt or ceramic clunks but that isn't your problem.

It doesn't draw more fuel when you tilt it up, these are pulse pump carbs, they really don't run differently in different orientations.

ahicks 03-27-2019 04:58 AM

Geez, don't trash it. I've never seen one that would run that couldn't be fixed to run right! Absolute worst case is it might force you to buy a new carb for it. Those are cheap and easy to find.

If you're setting it up lean, that could also be the source of your evil. If you have to, start out kind of rich so it won't stall on you, then sneak up on the optimal settings. Rich engines don't quit!

That in mind, and a felt clunk installed, holler back if it doesn't put a grin on your face. They're great little engines that are still making a lot of new friends.....

Stick 40 03-27-2019 05:22 AM

Hi,
just kidding about the trashing. I just ordered a new carb from my LHS. I want to get this running, its spring need to get flying. Not like I don't have about 40 other planes! LOL
I agree , not having the felt is not the problem. But I need to get using them and will pick up about 4 today.

I think its in the carb, the new one should do it. I will go ahead and get a new screen for the next time.