RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/)
-   -   DLE222 setup questions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/11672155-dle222-setup-questions.html)

DHC6 11-21-2019 08:04 AM

DLE222 setup questions

Hello guys, I have a few questions regarding setting up/installing my 222. I apologize if this has been covered but I couldn't find the answers.

1st on is regarding the battery, do I need 2? I'd like to use just one larger capacity battery like pulse 5000 2s pack.

2nd is regarding the ignition switches. I plan to use 2 PowerBox spark switches for each ignition module, but just curious, do I need to use 2 or can I just use 1? of course there isn't a reason to have one on, and one off, so is it necessary to have 2 independent switches?

speedracerntrixie 11-21-2019 08:33 PM

I would say come into the current century. You can run both ignitions off a single Tech Aero IBEC. They have a HV unit that would be great for the new RCEXL ignitions.

DHC6 11-22-2019 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie (Post 12565399)
I would say come into the current century. You can run both ignitions off a single Tech Aero IBEC. They have a HV unit that would be great for the new RCEXL ignitions.

Sorry for not being in this century, but it’s my first 4 cylinder and wasn’t sure how to set it up. I could have used your advise without the sarcasm, sorry for not being as “up on this century” as you are.

However last I checked, the PowerBox Pro ignition switches is FAR more advanced then your IBEC. So I guess I am the one in this century.... All I needed to know if that it’s acceptable to setup both ignition modules on one battery and one switch.

speedracerntrixie 11-22-2019 03:09 PM

My apologies, attempt was humor not sarcasm.

DHC6 11-25-2019 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie (Post 12565533)
My apologies, attempt was humor not sarcasm.

No problem, sometimes it's hard to convey humor online. However you still gave me the information I was looking for. Essentially it's acceptable to set up a 4 cylinder on one ignition kill system/battery. The PowerBox spark pro is a regulated (user defined) switch with some pretty cool telemetry features. It will give me ignition battery information, RPM, and Temperature (I will need a telemetry hub to have temp info from all jugs). I think that's the route I will take then, unless anyone else has any set up advise.

BarracudaHockey 11-25-2019 07:28 AM

Spark Switch Pro is an awesome gadget

speedracerntrixie 11-25-2019 03:43 PM

The only other thing I would say about a 4 cylinder install is well designed baffling is important. I like to baffle the cowl in a manner that creates an upper and lower chamber with the intake on the upper camber. A large enough cutout on the bottom with a lip that will create a low pressure area. The air then gets pulled through the cylinder fins and out the bottom.