RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/)
-   -   Fema on-board starters (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/1536103-fema-board-starters.html)

Discharger 02-17-2004 03:06 AM

Fema on-board starters

Anyone using these? I was thinking of getting a compact version to start a Zenoah G23 and was wondering just how successful they are? Thanks

GeraldRosebery 02-17-2004 09:41 AM

RE: Fema on-board starters

These engines often don't start that easily unless wet and warm. I'd say it was not worth the weight and hassle. Is this for in-air restarts or to look "cool" on the ground where you will have to fuss with choke etc.

Discharger 02-17-2004 09:47 PM

Thanks Gerald for your reply, this is actually the glow version of the G23, it was being jobbed out at a good price and the Walbro carb with pump was an attractive item! I guess the idea of starting from the Tx seems rather cool and I could always try to justify my indulgence by going on about extra safety issues! I've no idea how this engine will perform and not seen one before. The extra weight issues of the start unit and batteries are acknowleged.

GeraldRosebery 02-18-2004 03:49 PM

The glow version should start if you get it wet. Of course I assume you have on-board glow? But I still really don't think it's worth the investment in money or weight.

Geistware 02-19-2004 06:48 AM

I have seen one plane with an on-board starter. The guy hooked up the APU and flipped a couple of switches and the engine started..... looked cool... instead of added weight to the nose of a warbird, this may be a good alternative.

......and it is cool!

Jemo 02-19-2004 07:08 AM

There is a guy who sometimes uses these forums goes by, phil1

If you can get his attention, I know he has experience with on board starters.

bdtsr 02-19-2004 06:19 PM

A friend of mine just maidened his GP Christen Eagle with a Fuji 50 and onbaord starter. The Fuji unit is really neat and works well. As for the G23, mine (gas version) hand starts very easily. I also have thought of this, but the weight in the plane (Midwest Stearman) may be an issue. If I can keep it light enough, I might try it. For a Cub-like plane, it would be pretty cool.

sloflyer15 10-15-2005 11:51 PM

hi!
i look @ the fema on-board starter and i have the same oppinion... ITS COOL! Would something like this go to waist if i put it in a tower hobbies Kaos w/ a os .46 fx? or my h-9 mustang pts that has a .40 evolution?
thanks

Forgues Research 10-18-2005 09:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is my setup on a ZDZ 210 with a custom made onboard starter

Roger

GeraldRosebery 10-19-2005 04:17 PM

I know it's ironic, but about now FEMA could do with an on-board starter!

Forgues Research 10-19-2005 06:19 PM

ORIGINAL: GeraldRosebery

I know it's ironic, but about now FEMA could do with an on-board start!
Good one,

Roger

Paul White 12-21-2005 06:13 AM

I power a 1/4 scale (100" span) Piper Cub with a Zenoah 23 petrol engine and use the FEMA compact starter. The starter is powered by an onboard Lithium power pack (11.1v 2500mAh) and speed controller. The system works reliably and safely and the aircraft is very easy to fly even with the added weight. I have not tried restarting the engine in flight and hope I will never need to! The FEMA unit is very well produced and the instructions clear.

I can fill up the tank and take the aircraft and tx to the flying field and fly, no hassle!

I use a separate NiCad to power the radio.

Paul
[email protected]

mike early 02-20-2009 09:51 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZoH_P5Z7HE

srt10 03-10-2010 04:15 PM

old thread, but very cool to start a plane without fear of loosing a finger ;)