RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/)
-   -   Engine I.D. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/2391149-engine-i-d.html)

Tired Old Man 11-30-2004 10:33 PM

Engine I.D.

1 Attachment(s)
I'm going to try and post pics this time. Nobody has nbeen able to positively ID this motor yet from written descriptions. TKG has had it in his hands when Ch did the ignition and came up with either Sachs or Husky, but nothing definitive.

Hopefully the pisc will come through and someone will know this beast. It was on an Ace 30% Extra 230 when I got ahold of it.

Tired Old Man 11-30-2004 10:43 PM

RE: Engine I.D.

Wow! It took 8 trys to get one up load with dial up. I have more, but I'm already 52 and may not live long enough to get more posted.

DERF-54 11-30-2004 11:19 PM

I would have to sat that is a SACHS 3.2. That is much closer to a SACHS than a HUSQVARNA . The cylinder is the same as a BRISON 3.2 that is mounted in a plane I am seting up for someone right now.
Hope this helps
Fred

Antique 11-30-2004 11:24 PM

4.4 Husky..It has a Tillotson carb and the same 4 bolt hub used by Precision Eagle..Precision Eagles were Sachs, the Husky 4.4 was most likey made by Russel Stoltz at Challenge Tool..I think Russ made the Precision Eagles for Don Kanak, Precision Eagle...The Husky Challenger engines were Husky cylinders with Challenge cases...Looks like the case is from the chainsaw, maybe an early version of the Challenger...
Look for 52 ZN 22 W5 cast on the base of the Mahle cylinder...4.4 Husky....:D

excaliber 12-01-2004 12:52 AM

rcign, damn you're smart. I t is a Husky Challenger 4.4 just like you said
wt 5.4lb. 8.5 hp(yeah right) rpm 22x12(7200) 20x14(7400) the one in the picture has an ignition on it to.made in Elk Grove Village Il.
Just had to add .02 cents

Tired Old Man 12-01-2004 08:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm going to try and add a pic of the base flange numbers. I can only hope that it will make it.

Pat

Tired Old Man 12-01-2004 08:47 PM

I really didn't want to throw a wrench into all the good work, but the base numbers differ considerably, and the carb has a Walbro plate on it.

Ralph, this is the engine that I described about a month ago without the pics, and you were looking to see if you had one laying around to match the numbers with. I was running it with a 22-10 prop since it didn't seem to like a 24 inch. It's head is quite a bit larger than any of the 3.2's I've seen.

Thanks for all the help and light you can shed on the subject. I am going to have to send it out for repair/check up/ or a re-build soon to put some life back into it. It does run pretty smooth, even with the age. Whatever the age may be. A little short on compression, though.

Antique 12-01-2004 09:10 PM

Sure enough, it's s very old Walbro...If you can find the number of the carb I can cross reference it to the original saw..The orange carb insulator looks like a Husky for sure, and the rounded off cylinder fins also....the K S symblol is Kolbenschmidt, the company that makes the cylinders for Husky and a few models of Sachs..

Tired Old Man 12-02-2004 08:55 PM

Ralph,

I removed the carb from the engine in the attempt to find any exterior designations, and are listed as follows.

On one side of the carb, in a depressed circle, is the number "40", on the same side of the carb, in double overlapping depressed circles, is "J3"

On the butterfly face of the carb, on opposite sides in depressed circles, is the number "1" in each circle.

On the intake face of the carb, stamped in the shape of an arc or in a near circle, are the letters "spore"

On both carb plates are the letters "SDC"

There are no other numbers or letters anywhere on the exterior of the carb.

Thanks for the help! At least we have it narrowed down to a 4 something. That's more for certain than I had before.

Pat

excaliber 12-02-2004 10:07 PM

Pat, the carb is probably a SDC 80 a common replacement fot the Tillotson.
The numbers are Husqvarna the 501 is part of their part numbering system. Its been around awhileI still am convinced as I said, it is a Husky Challenger 4.4cu.in

Tired Old Man 12-02-2004 10:30 PM

Thank you very much. You and Ralph come to the rescue of so many of us.

Regarding the engine, would you know if parts are still available for it anywhere? It's low on compression and in the time I had it it never impressed me much on a 23 pound plane. It flew it ok, but lacked quite a bit in any extended verticals.

I had been using a standard Zinger 22-10 and a 22-6/10, and could never get much more than about 6,800 or so static out of it. Thinking back, the Zinger could have been as much of the problem as anything else, but it was still low in rpm count considering it's small diameter.

Thanks again,
Pat

hargreaves3788 12-29-2011 09:05 AM

Hi i know its a old post but i have a good pot and piston same as your.