RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/)
-   -   Nebee to Gas looking for help (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/2972726-nebee-gas-looking-help.html)

s_laclair 05-13-2005 08:47 PM

Nebee to Gas looking for help

I have a Great Planes Pitts that I want to run a gas engine on it and have never flown a gasser. Many have recommended a zdz, da, 3w and I am sure that these three make great engines. The Pitts manual calls for 6.5 inches or 165mm from the engine mount to the back of the spinner and it does not appear that any of the three above mentioned manufactures has an engine that would fit unless I bore a hole through the firewall for the rear mounted carbs.

BME, First Place, Fuji and US all make engines in the 41 to 50 cc model that appear to be better fit for the Great Planes Pitts but none of the modeler in my area would recommend them.

Some who has flown any of these combos will you give me some input.

I would appreciate any help.

Scott.

You can e-mail to me [email protected]

bubbagates 05-13-2005 09:04 PM

RE: Nebee to Gas looking for help

Scott,

You can always make standoff's out of 3/4 or 1 inch diameter dowel rods. Just cut them to length and drill a hole right dowwn the middle and mount the engine. I usually will thin epoxy and coat the dowel after I cut and drill it to help both fuel proof it and strengthen it but doing that will make them heavier

The other way and it is lighter is aluminum standoffs. Since you mentioned ZDZ engine, they actually sell standoffs and bolt sets on their web site.

http://shopping.netledger.com/s.nl/c...tegory.2010/.f

There are alot of others that make alumimum standoffs in different colors but my mind is drawing a blank at the moment on where to tell you to look

s_laclair 05-13-2005 09:22 PM

Mr. James,

I have seen the standoffs that you are talking about but here is my question. How do I deal with the cowl do you just let the front of the engine stick out further? I have 6.5 inches or 165 mm and all the engines with rear mount carbs well exceed this length?

Thanks for your response.

Scott

bubbagates 05-13-2005 09:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Scott,

You can always cut out the little hole that is most firewall larger to allow the carb to fit into the fuselage through the firewall, then use standoffs to get to 6.5 inches

Lets take a llok at the ZDZ 40 as an example.

Looking at the diagram there are teo measurements. One is the total length from the back of the carb to the prop washer and that is 6.81 inches. The other measurement is the length from the back of the actual mount to the front of the prop washer which is 5.20 inches.

So what you do is cut a hole in the firewall that is about 1/4 inch larger than the diameter of the carb, make or purchase standoffs that are 1.25 inches long (1 and 1/4 inch) Now when you mount the engine the carb will now actually be somewhat inside the fuselage and with the standoffs you will be just a tad over 6.5 inches, something like 1/16th to 1/8 inch which is just about perfect to clear the spinners backplate.

The first pick is the dimensions I was quoting and the second and third pics are examples of the way I am describing mounting the engine

s_laclair 05-13-2005 09:41 PM

Mr. James,

Again I want to thank you for all this good information. Do you think that I should add the extra supports to the Great Planes Pitts? I don't know if you have seen the firewall on that aircraft but it look very similar to the plane in the photo that you sent me.

So out of all the gas engines in the 40 to 50 cc size which company do you think that I would have the most success. I am really seeking a reliable running engine and I am not really interested in flying 3D I am interested in more scale like aerobatics.

Thanks again for your help.

Scott

P.S. This is my first time using this forum

bubbagates 05-13-2005 09:55 PM

ORIGINAL: s_laclair

Mr. James,

Again I want to thank you for all this good information. Do you think that I should add the extra supports to the Great Planes Pitts? I don't know if you have seen the firewall on that aircraft but it look very similar to the plane in the photo that you sent me.

So out of all the gas engines in the 40 to 50 cc size which company do you think that I would have the most success. I am really seeking a reliable running engine and I am not really interested in flying 3D I am interested in more scale like aerobatics.

Thanks again for your help.

Scott

P.S. This is my first time using this forum
I personally can't say what is best for the Great Planes Pitts as I do not have one. (I'm more of an Ultimate fan myself) but I can say that DA engines are considered the best. I own a Roto35Vi which is also sold by RCShowcase and have seen the ZDZ 40 first hand and it runs well. Brison Engines are another good choice.

FPE, Fuji and BME are also good but DA engines are purpose built for RC and Brison is just plain less expensive and plenty powerful and light. Can you tell I like DA engines. I also own a Zenoah G26 the was converted to electronic ignition which took off almost 3/4 pound of weight off the engine that lives in my Great Planes Super Stearman. I have not flown that plane as I just completed it a few hours ago but from what I here it hauls that plane around well at hlf throttle with plenty in reserve

Here is a link to Brison, (just to confuse you more :D) Just kidding. :D

http://www.brisonaircraft.com

Now if you really want to get overwhelmed and find tons of info on the Pitts. Try doing a search for Great Planes Pitts, grab a beer, soda or whatever you usually drink and read away. I'll bet that there is several good threads on that plane here on RCU

And by the way...welcome to RCU

s_laclair 05-13-2005 10:24 PM

Mr. James,

I don't smoke, drink or chase wild women, I spent all my bucks on R/C so DA50 it will be.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Scott

bubbagates 05-13-2005 10:30 PM

ORIGINAL: s_laclair

Mr. James,

I don't smoke, drink or chase wild women, I spent all my bucks on R/C so DA50 it will be.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Scott
I hope you do not feel insulted as that was not what I meant by the comment about getting a drink and go to reading. I was really just joking. I will always recommend doing searches if I already do not know something. I myself have learned so much just doing searches and reading

On the other hand, I agree. R/C takes all of my money. It's not a hobby anymore it an addiction and one I hope there is never a cure found for it. :D

s_laclair 05-13-2005 10:46 PM

Mr. James,

No insult taken, it is just a saying here in SW PA about the drinking, smoking and women....I have already been reading threads and drinking my diet coke....

Again thanks for all the help...Life's too short and I am joking kind of guy.

bubbagates 05-13-2005 10:49 PM

Cool,

I do not do beer but I do have the occasional shot of Crown royal which works out to about twice a year

I see your in Uniontown. I'm just outside of Hershy...

s_laclair 05-13-2005 11:07 PM

Mr. James,

Maybe our paths will cross at some flying events.

Scott

lortap1969 05-14-2005 06:34 AM

"Maybe our paths will cross at some flying events." But hopefull not intersect :D