RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/)
-   -   Has anyone received their Evolution 26GT gasser yet ? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/3155992-has-anyone-received-their-evolution-26gt-gasser-yet.html)

Dirtnapper 07-11-2005 11:05 AM

Has anyone received their Evolution 26GT gasser yet ?

Waiting for my 26GT gasser to mount in a CG Sukhoi and was wondering if anyone has any flying experience with theirs yet.

cadconversions 07-11-2005 01:38 PM

RE: Has anyone received their Evolution 26GT gasser yet ?

Sure, it's called a MVVS 1.6. Look it up on here. Same exact motor just rebadged. Great motor with great results. If you get tired of waiting on one, contact Pe Rievers at www.mvvs-nl.com and he can have one to you in a few days for less money than what the evolution is selling for (or the MVVS from Morris Hobbies as well). Mine is going in a CG Pitts M12.

gsmith6879 07-11-2005 01:49 PM

I agree. I just bought 2 MVVS 1.6 gas engines from Pe. I got great sevice from him. Saved almost $100 per engine.

Oh, and they are a great looking engine.

Gaines

cadconversions 07-11-2005 01:51 PM

yep, I got an 18x8 CF prop (mejlick sp?), running oil, motor, and shipping for less money then just the motor from US.

Dirtnapper 07-11-2005 02:37 PM

I thought about ordering one from Pe. I've followed the MVVS 160 thread that he participates on and he seems knowledgable and willing to help, but it did not seem to me that the savings would be as much as $100. I also was not sure how much hassle would be involved in the shipping and customs. How much do you think your CG Pitts M12 will weigh?

cadconversions 07-11-2005 02:56 PM

The savings also depends on the value of the USD compared to the Euro so the savings vary. I got a $40 prop, $5 oil, $20 shipping, plus still saved several more dollars. No real hassle on customs. I expect the Pitts to weigh around 13 lbs or less RTF w/ fuel.

The MVVS weight breakdown is like this: 33 oz motor only; 44.8 oz w/ muffler (bisson inverted),and ignition. Not much more than a 1.5 saito.

RysiuM 07-11-2005 05:32 PM

ORIGINAL: cadconversions
The MVVS weight breakdown is like this: 33 oz motor only; 44.8 oz w/ muffler (bisson inverted),and ignition. Not much more than a 1.5 saito.
Actually comparing it to Sait you need to include fuel, mount, and ignition battery. So the total is:

MVVS 1.6
Engine: 33oz
Muffler 5 oz
Ignition 5 oz
Ignition battery: 3 oz
Radial mount: 2 oz
Fuel + tank : 13 oz (for 15 minutes)
--------
Total: 61 oz

Saito 150
Engine: 30oz
Muffler 3 oz
Ignition - none
Ignition battery: - none
Mount: 8 oz
Fuel + tank : 22 oz (for 15 minutes)
--------
Total: 63 oz

I have MVVS 1.6 (new not broken yet) on 11.5 lb plane plus 11 oz fuel (Powerline Hobby Edge 540 23%) and APC 18x6W turns 8300 rpm - unlimited vertical with enough thrust to climf out of hoover.

RysiuM

Dirtnapper 07-11-2005 06:44 PM

That's about what I figured on the weight comparison if everything was considered. This will be my first gasser and I'm really looking forward to it. It just seems to make sense once you get up to a 150+ 4c glow. I don't expect my Sukhoi to be a 3D machine but am hoping for better than scale power. Any words of wisdom for a gasser newbie? I bought a heavy glove!

Rudeboy 07-11-2005 07:21 PM

ORIGINAL: RysiuM

Actually comparing it to Sait you need to include fuel, mount, and ignition battery. So the total is:

MVVS 1.6
Engine: 33oz
Muffler 5 oz
Ignition 5 oz
Ignition battery: 3 oz
Radial mount: 2 oz
Fuel + tank : 13 oz (for 15 minutes)
--------
Total: 61 oz

Saito 150
Engine: 30oz
Muffler 3 oz
Ignition - none
Ignition battery: - none
Mount: 8 oz
Fuel + tank : 22 oz (for 15 minutes)
--------
Total: 63 oz

I have MVVS 1.6 (new not broken yet) on 11.5 lb plane plus 11 oz fuel (Powerline Hobby Edge 540 23%) and APC 18x6W turns 8300 rpm - unlimited vertical with enough thrust to climf out of hoover.

RysiuM
How do you figure all that?
Why does a Saito 150 need an 8 oz mount? Are you using mild steel beam mounts or something?
Why does a Saito 150 need a 22 oz tank for 15 minutes...? Are you running 40% nitro through it in a pylon racer at WOT all the time? Mine does perfectly fine on a 14 oz tank for an aerobatic flight routine (10% fuel)...

The installed weight of an MVVS 1.6 is definitely more than that of a Saito 150... it may not be much more depending on the tanks and batteries you use, but it will be more.
Also, the MVVS on the can muffler has about as much power as a Saito 150 on 10% fuel on a bad day...
Now, the MVVS on a tuned pipe is a different thing: it really comes to life on a pipe, and becomes a hell of a lot stronger than that Saito 150... on a pipe it turns 18" props with ease, while a 17x8 is about as far as you can go with the Saito in any case.

I have kit built CG Suk, and my experience is that a Saito 150 is just barely enough for "sport" flying in this plane. You need at least a Saito 180, an YS 140 or a piped MVVS 1.6 for some decent performance.

cadconversions 07-11-2005 09:57 PM

rudeboy, your review of the MVVS 1.6 must be of the older blue head or non anodized motors. The new red head motors with coated pistons, etc... are rated at 3.8 bhp on a pipe. On a standard muffler it's rated for an 18x8 prop for sport flying.

I think you'll find the MVVS 1.6 on the proper muffler with the right prop will out perform a Saito 1.50 any day and take cheaper fuel while using less of it. The MVVS 1.6 on an 18x8 should get you 7,200 rpm or more.

RysiuM 07-11-2005 10:51 PM

Sorry Rudeboy for the confusion. I did this math long time ago before I made a difficult decision between Saito and MVVS. It is now so abvious for me, that I didn't explain properly.

ORIGINAL: Rudeboy
Why does a Saito 150 need an 8 oz mount? Are you using mild steel beam mounts or something?
Any big 2lb or more engine needs strong mount. Cheap nylon stuff will not hold long. I looked at Tower at any solid mount like Dubro shock absorbing (over 8oz) or Great Planes for 1.2 -1.8 (7 oz). Other don't show the weight but if it's less than that it is probably not strong enough.

Why does a Saito 150 need a 22 oz tank for 15 minutes...?
Again it is from Saito information website stating a little less than 2 oz per minute WOT. I assumed 75% of that adding 2-4 oz for the fuel tank alone. My 11 oz tank weights 12 oz.

Are you running 40% nitro through it in a pylon racer at WOT all the time? Mine does perfectly fine on a 14 oz tank for an aerobatic flight routine (10% fuel)...

From RCFAQ database where SAITO 150 turns 17 inch prop at 8600 rpm, you need full throttle a lot flying 3D with 11.5 lb plane. I know, because I fly it with 18 inch prop and it needs over 8k rpm to pull out of hover.

The installed weight of an MVVS 1.6 is definitely more than that of a Saito 150... it may not be much more depending on the tanks and batteries you use, but it will be more.
The great benefit of MVVS is that I can have small fuel tank at CG far away from the engine. On Saito unless you install fuel pump the tank should be close to the engine. And because the tank is big it changes the total weight and the ballancing of the plane during the flight. Kind of PITA.

Now, the MVVS on a tuned pipe is a different thing: it really comes to life on a pipe, and becomes a hell of a lot stronger than that Saito 150... on a pipe it turns 18" props with ease, while a 17x8 is about as far as you can go with the Saito in any case.
I didn't go with tuned pipe because the pipe is 8 oz heavier than the can muffler. I wanted to be lighter than more powerfull.

I hope this explains and clears the confusion.

RysiuM

Desertrat 07-12-2005 06:56 AM

I think Rudeboy is a little more realistic... follow me

Sorry Rudeboy for the confusion. I did this math long time ago before I made a difficult decision between Saito and MVVS. It is now so abvious for me, that I didn't explain properly.

Any big 2lb or more engine needs strong mount. Cheap nylon stuff will not hold long. I looked at Tower at any solid mount like Dubro shock absorbing (over 8oz) or Great Planes for 1.2 -1.8 (7 oz). Other don't show the weight but if it's less than that it is probably not strong enough.
"cheap nylon stuff" holds just fine, or you can build your own hardwood mount and still be far less than 8 oz.

Why does a Saito 150 need a 22 oz tank for 15 minutes...?

Again it is from Saito information website stating a little less than 2 oz per minute WOT. I assumed 75% of that adding 2-4 oz for the fuel tank alone. My 11 oz tank weights 12 oz.

Are you running 40% nitro through it in a pylon racer at WOT all the time? Mine does perfectly fine on a 14 oz tank for an aerobatic flight routine (10% fuel)...

From RCFAQ database where SAITO 150 turns 17 inch prop at 8600 rpm, you need full throttle a lot flying 3D with 11.5 lb plane. I know, because I fly it with 18 inch prop and it needs over 8k rpm to pull out of hover.
a 17x?? a 17x10, a 17x12? You're turning an 18x ?? 6? 8? and getting what 8000, maybe 8500 RPM? Pitch makes a difference. Show me the video of your MVVS pulling your 11.5lb plane out of a hover, I think you might be exaggerating a tad.

The great benefit of MVVS is that I can have small fuel tank at CG far away from the engine. On Saito unless you install fuel pump the tank should be close to the engine. And because the tank is big it changes the total weight and the ballancing of the plane during the flight. Kind of PITA.

I didn't go with tuned pipe because the pipe is 8 oz heavier than the can muffler. I wanted to be lighter than more powerfull.

I hope this explains and clears the confusion.

RysiuM
Here I think both of you are a little misinformed. First, even on a pipe, I think the MVVS might actually come close to the performance of a Saito 150, but I dont think exceed. If you think turning an 18x8 at 9000 rpm is a lot of power think again. Thats a hover prop, with no bite, so for good pull out it needs to be in the 11-12000 range. The gassers just cant do it. What does the Saito turn that 17x8 at? oh yeah, 11000 rpm.... put them on the same airplane, and the glow will outperform the gas by a wide margin 100% of the time. Lets not exaggerate that, I hate for people to take the small gas engines home expecting the world and getting really pissed they dont get the performance they "read in the internet".

Next on the tuned pipe weight... The KS 1015 pipe with a custom header weighs in at 8 oz total! and the Ed Skorpa CF pipes are about 1/2 that.... :rolleyes:

Roger

RysiuM 07-12-2005 08:24 AM

ORIGINAL: Desertrat
!QUOT!cheap nylon stuff!QUOT! holds just fine, or you can build your own hardwood mount and still be far less than 8 oz.
Sorry, can't confirm that. You may be right - I can't argue. That's what I've been told by all manuals, safety recommendation and common knowledge at my field. I've seen twice Saito 30 breaking the nylon mount - just where the screws go through. I wouldn't like to see that on the engine 5 times bigger. 4-stroke and gassers can shake a lot (I read that actually SAITO 150 vibrates more than most small gassers). I wouldn't risk my life just for 2-3 oz and few bucks.

If you think turning an 18x8 at 9000 rpm is a lot of power think again. Thats a hover prop, with no bite, so for good pull out it needs to be in the 11-12000 range.
Let's see. 12 k rpm on 18x8 is 8200W = 11Hp. You need good 100cc engine for that. Man, you must be living on 2G planet:D

Show me the video of your MVVS pulling your 11.5lb plane out of a hover, I think you might be exaggerating a tad.
I didn't say 'rocket power':D I can keep it in hover at the stick just below max power, and pushing the stick forward plane climbs vertical. It doesn't take of like a space shuttle, and it is far away from 2:1 thrust to weight ratio (but I never claimed that). because the engine is brand new (just a couple flights) I'm expecting a little more power in the future. If not, I will look at the tuned pipe setup.

What does the Saito turn that 17x8 at? oh yeah, 11000 rpm....
Ouch, I don't know what kind of prop you are using, but on 'standard shape' prop of that size puts a load of 5kW (6.6HP) at that rpm. Did I understand right? You are measuring the prop in inches, not in cm, right? ;)
I never clocked Saito 150, but I 'm trying to use common sense. Looking at the [link=http://www.rcfaq.com/rpmstats/rpmbymfr2.htm##Saito]RCFAQ[/link] database Saito 150 with APC 17-8 turning 8600 with 15% fuel makes sense to me. Even Saito 180 doesn't go beyond 9500 at that prop.

Next on the tuned pipe weight... The KS 1015 pipe with a custom header weighs in at 8 oz total! and the Ed Skorpa CF pipes are about 1/2 that.... :rolleyes:
Wow, 1/2 of 8 oz it is 4 oz - not bad. That's for header + pipe? I may look around for that. I was looking at the MVVS site estimating the weight (3265 = 95g, 3266 = 207g) total 312g = 11.4oz. Adding pipe bracket it will go over 12 oz, where Pits muffler is 5 oz.

RysiuM

Dart373 07-12-2005 09:38 AM

Come on boys, lets keep this on topic, I want to know about this motor too. I could quite honestly care less about the 1.50/1.80 Saitos. I have one, I know what it turns , I know that it empties a 20 oz tank in 12 minutes, and I know that 30% Heli I run in them is $16.95 a gallon. So, for goodness sake, lets try to be nice and talk about the Evo 26GT. Kevin, good to see you on here, I knew I would with a title like this.

RysiuM 07-12-2005 10:06 AM

ORIGINAL: Dart373
So, for goodness sake, lets try to be nice and talk about the Evo 26GT.
Sorry.:D

Not much to talk about - still not available. I was looking at this and MVVS 26 and I found four differences so far:

1. Evo price is $399, MVVS is Euro 251.26 ($306.34) from Pe
2. Evo is blue, MVVS is red
3. Evo has sticker '26GT' on the head, MVVS has none (I wonder if the sticker burns when engine gets hot;) )
4. Evo has 'E' casted on the crankcase, MVVS has 'MVVS'

The last one can't be make just by 'relabeling' - someone made a cast for that.

EVO 26GT:http://www.redrockethobbies.com/photos/EVOE26GT-2.jpg

MVVS 26 IFS/RC:http://www.mvvs.cz/pic2/3094i.jpg

RysiuM

Dart373 07-12-2005 10:23 AM

Not much to talk about - still not available.

Buhhhahaah, Ok, well, then tell Wally aka Dirtnapper to send his back to Horizon. He practically has it mounted in his Sukhoi !:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

RysiuM 07-12-2005 10:52 AM

Buhhhahaah, Ok, well, then tell Wally aka Dirtnapper to send his back to Horizon. He practically has it mounted in his Sukhoi !:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
He must have better PC than I do. Whenever I look at [link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByCategory/Product/Default.aspx?ProdID=EVOE26GT]http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByCategory/Product/Default.aspx?ProdID=EVOE26GT[/link] I see the text:
Not Yet Available..

Maybe it's time for me to by a new PC:D

BTW I like this old trick: List price $699.99, Our price:399.99. Dude, buy it now and save 300 bucks[:'(]

For me in California the total will be:

Back Order Items (1) $399.99
Shipping Method (Ground) Change $7.99
Tax (CA @ 7.25%) $29.58
----------------------------------
Out of stock Subtotal $437.56

The shipping to CA takes 3-5 days.

Or I just go to Pe (MVVS-NL) and pay:

MVVS 26 IFS - $306.34 (Euro 251.26)
Shipping - $30.22 (Euro 24.75)
----------------------------------
Total: $336.56 (Euro 276.01)

And have it next week. This blue anodize must be very expensive - 100 dollars more than red.:)

RysiuM

cadconversions 07-12-2005 10:52 AM

Kevin, good to see you on here, I knew I would with a title like this.
Hey Keith, been meaning to give you a buzz to see how things are going. Been swamped and haven't been able to do much with RC but day dream about it. I'll try to call you soon and check up on you and Mel.

Not much to talk about - still not available. I was looking at this and MVVS 26 and I found four differences so far:

1. Evo price is $399, MVVS is Euro 251.26 ($306.34) from Pe
2. Evo is blue, MVVS is red
3. Evo has sticker '26GT' on the head, MVVS has none (I wonder if the sticker burns when engine gets hot;) )
4. Evo has 'E' casted on the crankcase, MVVS has 'MVVS'

The last one can't be make just by 'relabeling' - someone made a cast for that.

RysiuM, your right. The Evolution 26GT isn't available yet from horizon but you can get the same motor from MVVS 1.6

The evolution motors are "rebadged" MVVS 1.6 motors. This was confirmed by MVVS in the really large MVVS 1.6 motor thread. Even Pe said it was.

As for the Price... Pe and Dar both sell the motor for less than retail. If you would like to pay more you can purchase from the US distributor (who doesn't have them in stock the last time I looked) for $399.95 ( http://morrishobbies.com/product_inf...roducts_id=452 )

Don't let the color of the head fool you. It's easy to change and for the number of units horizon will order, the work is worth the money that MVVS is getting. Hence, the recasting for the crankcase, and the other color of the head.

As for the glow vs. gas......

Glow will always give a better performance numbers in a comparable size range due to the few oz of weight loss and the fact that it's burning Nitro. However, the MVVS does close the gap and in some instances surpass the gap due to some of the design features that are not found in the glow motors. On a tuned pipe the MVVS 1.6 provides as much bhp as most 35cc gas motors due. Great little motor.

My whole point in this thread is for dirtnapper to order a MVVS 1.6 from Pe and have it in a week then to wait for a month or so to get the same motor for $100.00 more from horizon.

Dart373 07-12-2005 03:57 PM

Wally, were are the pics. Sounds like he just got his GT in ! I can't wait to watch a grown man eat crow! :);)

Dirtnapper 07-12-2005 04:58 PM

Guys, I hate to burst your bubble, but I actually received my 26GT the day before I started this thread. I was curious if anyone else had theirs yet. I ordered mine in early May, called Horizon at the end of May when they said they would be in and was told it would be the end of June and it came last week. It sure is pretty! I'd include a picture I took if I could figure out how to attach it. Finishing up my CG Sukhoi and gathering the things I need to complete. I do have a question for anyone. In the engine manual it has a drawing of two magnetic pickups on the prop driver... one at TDC and another 180 degrees out. However, mine only has the one at TDC. What do the MVVS Redheads have ?

cadconversions 07-12-2005 05:06 PM

The MVVS 1.6's have 2 pickups. One at TDC and the other 180 degrees from there. Hum, another difference.

To post a pic...hit "post reply" at the bottom of the thread and then you'll see where you can attach images. Let's see that blue head wonder.

Dirtnapper 07-12-2005 05:15 PM

Still can't figure it out. Keith, help!

cadconversions 07-12-2005 05:15 PM

BTW, there should be two magnets on the prop hub but only one pickup. Thought you might have looked at the wrong part.

Dirtnapper 07-12-2005 05:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have one mag and one pickup

Dart373 07-12-2005 05:29 PM

Alright, Wally is in the 90's, you just posted a pic! Holy Moly. Alright, so it isnt out yet, but....:)[8D]:D;)