RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/)
-   -   Fly gas in a 60 sized airframe (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/3207911-fly-gas-60-sized-airframe.html)

OLD_SLOW and in the WAY 07-28-2005 07:46 AM

Fly gas in a 60 sized airframe

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3207905/tm.htm]Link to exploded view and MFG link[/link]

Crusty 07-28-2005 08:44 AM

RE: Fly gas in a 60 sized airframe

Not

JettPilot 07-28-2005 12:55 PM

Evaloution 26CC engine. Its a new engine at Horizon Hobbies and is light, powerful, and will fly your 60 sized plane around just fine :D

RCAddiction 07-28-2005 07:54 PM

Fastrat, I hope that JettPilot was just kidding. The Evolution 26cc is way to large and heavy for most 60 sized planes. As an example, the RCS 1.40 is both smaller and lighter, I believe, than the "Evolution" 26cc MVVS Gas engine that Horizon is now importing. And the RCS is already physically too big and heavy for a .60 sized plane. People have used the RCS in 90-120 sized planes, but a 60-size plane is really gonna be heavy, even if you can manage to fit it in place.

Yes, it is also possible to convert a glow engine to gas. Typically, however, glow engines are not designed with needle bearings. They do not have carbs where the fuel needle size settings that are optimized for gas. The plain bearings will cause you to have to run high oil content, similar to nitro fuels so it will still be messy. You might need a fuel pump regulator as well if you use a glow style carb in a conversion. Also gas engines burn approx 1/3 the amount of fuel for a given engine displacement compared to the same engine running glow fuel. This means that you will have to use smaller orifices for gas, ie, change the carb/needle to work better with it.

Antique 07-28-2005 10:24 PM

Mecoa had info on that little engine...It's made for small RC cars and probably has a torque curve too high for a prop that would fly a plane...Looks really good, though.. Needle roller bearings in the right places....[8D]

JettPilot 07-29-2005 01:27 AM

I was serious about the Evoloution engine. I would stick it on a .60 sized plane, put the battery in the tial, do some sturctural improvements and have an outragous ungodly overpowered plane :D

The only time a plane is truely over powered is when it takes off at idle :eek:

Crusty 07-29-2005 02:24 AM

ORIGINAL: RCAddiction

Fastrat, I hope that JettPilot was just kidding. The Evolution 26cc is way to large and heavy for most 60 sized planes. As an example, the RCS 1.40 is both smaller and lighter, I believe, than the "Evolution" 26cc MVVS Gas engine that Horizon is now importing. And the RCS is already physically too big and heavy for a .60 sized plane. People have used the RCS in 90-120 sized planes, but a 60-size plane is really gonna be heavy, even if you can manage to fit it in place.

Yes, it is also possible to convert a glow engine to gas. Typically, however, glow engines are not designed with needle bearings. They do not have carbs where the fuel needle size settings that are optimized for gas. The plain bearings will cause you to have to run high oil content, similar to nitro fuels so it will still be messy. You might need a fuel pump regulator as well if you use a glow style carb in a conversion. Also gas engines burn approx 1/3 the amount of fuel for a given engine displacement compared to the same engine running glow fuel. This means that you will have to use smaller orifices for gas, ie, change the carb/needle to work better with it.
Strange comment, considering the evolution would be more suitable than the little Gasser that fastrat mentioned, yet you make no comment on that but instead throw water on the better,(if still not the best) solution
I guess you didnt actually look into the little gasser that fastrat mentioned before making your comment

OLD_SLOW and in the WAY 07-29-2005 05:48 AM

once i made a kadet senior with full fowler flaps, droop leading edge airfoil with the nasa ailerons and the bolted a warmed up homelite gasser on the front spinning a 14/7 3blade. i had strengthened the wing spar but broke the wing doing rolling circles so i added struts. even after all the fore thought and beefing up it finally just rattled apart, it was a fun project and did amazing things but bolting a g26 on a plane like a 4star 60 is not advisable

JettPilot 07-29-2005 10:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Fastrat,

I never said to use a G-26, that is way to heavy for a .60 sized plane. The new evoloution gas engine would work though :D Your plane sounded really cool, even if it was a bit weak it must have been cool playing with all that stuff Just remember with proper construction and reinforcing you can make a plane last, it just takes the knowlege of structures and talent to build them strongly. I ALWAYS build my planes with huge engines, and ungodly amount of powerand they dont rattle apart :D The twin engine plane in the picture below has more thrust than weight, will take off on one engine, and the engines rattled apart before the airframe did :)

Antique 07-29-2005 11:33 PM

Ah, the power of positive advertising...Horizon lists the weight of the EVO at 33 oz(bare engine) They conveniently forgot(?) to list the weight of the mount and ignition...I'm converting 8 G26 engines this week...I don't have any together yet, but all the parts of a (bare engine) weigh about 34 oz on my scale...So how come the Evo is not too big but the G26 with CD ignition is ?????
Both are WAY to0 big for a .60 size plane anyway, unless it was made from carbon fiber...:eek:
More positive advertising...Horizon lists the Evo at 3.8 PS at 9000 rpm..That's a lotta PS;)
Zenoah lists the G26 at 1.62 KW at 12,000 rpm...Don't know PS from Kw...
They both turn the SAME props at about the SAME rpm...
REAL positive advertising....;)

RTK 07-29-2005 11:45 PM

Ralph you made the light go on.
New racing class, stocker G26. Ultra cheap (affordable), easy to maintain, fun can be had by everyone.:D

OLD_SLOW and in the WAY 07-30-2005 07:37 AM

the senior kadet was more or less an experiment in terror.....:D the fowler flaps actually tucked under and pointed forward like a big air scoop brake you could almost stop the plane in the air, it was subjected to abnormal flying abuse by me and my flying buddy and that is why it finally was retired

but hellya a stock g26 quickee class sign me up

HarryJ 07-30-2005 04:55 PM

I have two 60 size Kangke Monocoupes with gas engines and they fly great. One has a FPE 1.3 and the other one has a RCS 140. They both fit without any more trimming to fit the ignition system than trying to put a 4 stroke glow engine in. Both use 14/8 Bamula props and turn 7800 and 8000 with no problem.

Harry

PS: The RCS 140 is easiest to install and is lighter and more compact.

RCAddiction 07-31-2005 12:40 AM

ORIGINAL: Crusty

ORIGINAL: RCAddiction

Strange comment, considering the evolution would be more suitable than the little Gasser that fastrat mentioned, yet you make no comment on that but instead throw water on the better,(if still not the best) solution
I guess you didnt actually look into the little gasser that fastrat mentioned before making your comment

Crusty, in fact I did look at that little engine, thank you. It did not seem to be enough for his application. My comments on converting glow to gas came from an assumption in this and the other thread that someone might want an engine more size/weight appropriate, which is possible, but still quite a chore to accomplish. Ralph agrees that the MVVS 1.6/Evolution 26 is too heavy, with everything on board to be appropriate for most 60 sized planes, however the thread originator did not state what plane he was looking to place it in, making it a bit of a generalization. JettPilot's subsequent comment that a plane can't have too large an engine is rather silly in my opinion. You can put in whatever you want to overpower something, but if the wingloading increases too much, the plane will fly poorly, especially if someone wanted to do 3D aerobatics, for instance. Again, it all depends upon the general application. As Dick commented, there are a couple of slightly smaller ones, the FPE 1.3 and RCS 140, which I had mentioned as well, which have lower all-up weights. There are siome pattern planes flying with the RCS140, but once again, it's physically a 140 sized engine with 120 engine power level.