RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/)
-   -   CALLING ALL "TAURUS" OWNERS. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/3414170-calling-all-%22taurus%22-owners.html)

Bob Laine 10-02-2005 08:46 AM

CALLING ALL "TAURUS" OWNERS.

In answer to someone's question as to which engine was best, I made a statement that "You can't find a negative comment on any thread about a "Taurus," engine. even though I realized at the time when I made it, I was setting myself up for controversy. Now, after a couple of months have past, I have received several PM's regarding my comments, so I'm going to respond in this way.
I would like for anyone that has owned, or had 1st hand experience with the "Taurus" engine," to give us there overall opinion of it.
In doing so, I would like for the responders to follow this simple criteria.

1: You must have owned a "Taurus," engine (or have used or observed someone else who has).

2: Give your overall, personal opinion as to it's ]Reliability, Smoothness of operation, Starting, Transition, Quality, and customer service.

Most of all, this thread is not meant to be a popularity contest to decide which engine is the best, or, who has the best customer service. There are many engines to choose from on the market today: DA, 3W, BME, ZDZ, BRISON, SACHS, QUADRA, AND ZENOAH. I own, and fly every one of them, and I like them all. Each engine has it's own particular traits that are unique to it's MFG. They also have their own following who swear by their engine. (thats called brand loyality) Let's face it, the majority of flyer's today are just "MONKEY SEE, MONKEY DO." Go to any flying field today and you will see that most of the "NEWBIES," use the same kind of radio, use the same kind of motor, as the top pilot's at that field, and they assume that if the BIG BOYS are using it, it has to be the best and soon they will be telling everyone else which is best without ever having owned, or used any other make of engine, or radio and really don't any have any "usuable" knowledge about that which they speak.

It's not up to them or me to tell you which engine is the best. Just read the threads. You'll see which engine has the most complaints, and the least complaints, and it won't take very long at all. And, as to "CUSTOMER SERVICE," my feeling on that matter is "The best customer service, is no customer service."(when it comes to engine repair) Read the Threads then YOU, decide for yourself which is best. After all it's your money.

This thread is not to tell you that Taurus engines are the best (even though I think they are), but to simply respond to the statement I made. I know there will be those who respond that have never even seen a Taurus engine, much less owned one. But, Please, let's keep it on the subject.

Finally I think that when the OWNERS of these Taurus engines respond to this thread,they will determine one way or the other, if what I said was true or not. And, we may even find out that there just may be more Taurus engines being flown out there than is realized.

Bob Laine 10-02-2005 08:51 AM

RE: CALLING ALL "TAURUS" OWNERS.

My post was lost. I rewrite it later.

davewallace 10-02-2005 09:09 AM

Hello,
Why does the Taurus run so much better then the other Sachs based gas engines?

Dave

bpryor 10-02-2005 01:08 PM

ORIGINAL: davewallace

Hello,
Why does the Taurus rus so much better then the other Sachs based gas engines?

Dave
That's a really good question, and nobody knows the complete answer except Taurus. It's easy to speculate though. Just because different manufacturer's start with the same OEM's cylinder/head assembly does not make those engines equal in any way. First, it would be very easy to do some simple mods on those stock cylinders to increase power, secondly, the bottomend of the Taurus is their own design, though people will argue some of those components(namely the crank) are OEMed too, so therefore they're ths same. That too is bunk. It is also easy to do minor mods to the lower-end components to make them lighter, stronger, and to make the engine run more smoothly and with more power, which is obvious what Taurus does, though the exact nature of those mods are unknown, and for good reason.

I ran a car racing spec class for years that only allowed very limited modifications, basically blueprinting(bringing all specs to their optimum setting, within manufacturer's tolerances), which by itself, made impressive power and smoothness improvements over a "stock" engine.

Even if Taurus was only blueprinting a stock chainsaw motor(which they are doing a lot more than that), the engine would be vastly superior in reliability, power and smoothness to a manufacturer that did not put the same effort into their engines.

Let's face it, the guys at Taurus really know what they're doing. It's no different than say in Nascar Nextel Cup; everyone has the same basic components to work with, and they all have access to great talents for all aspects of building their motors, but some are just more talented than others and end up with more powerful, and more reliable, engines.

Don M. 10-02-2005 02:22 PM

And they are just damn fine people to do business with. I just received a TS52 about 3 weeks ago and although I will not get to run it until May of '06 my impressions so far are 110%. We e-mailed and talked on the phone back and forth while I was trying to "make up my mind" and Bill made me feel like I was his only customer. I even e-mailed him some pics of where I work ( 400 miles above the Arctic Circle ) at his request. I don't know how it will run, but I already feel like I've gotten my money's worth. ;););)

mrbigg 10-02-2005 05:47 PM

anyone have a link to their website?

bpryor 10-02-2005 06:08 PM

ORIGINAL: mrbigg

anyone have a link to their website?
Hi mrbigg,

Here you go: www.taurus-engines.com

=======================

Ok Bob, now that this thread is going without a topic, how long are you going to keep us in suspense with what was really on your mind?....or did you do this on purpose. ;)

TOPGUN130643 10-02-2005 07:28 PM

I don't own a taurus but I'm gonna jump in here anyway. Bob allowed me to fly his KMP yak 54 with a TS 52 on it and I have to say that is the smoothest running engine I have ever seen with flawless transition. The TS 52 really impressed me so I know one day I will be showing up at the field with one.

Antique 10-02-2005 07:39 PM

Apparently some of you people have never seen a twin....It's a physical impossiblity to perfectly balance a single cylinder engine...Maybe Taurus has rewritten the laws of physics..:D

bpryor 10-02-2005 07:47 PM

ORIGINAL: RCIGN1
Maybe Taurus has rewritten the laws of physics..:D

Hey Ralph,

Hmmm, maybe we need to consider that possibility. It would explain a lot. :)

....though back to reality, I think it is implied that all the vibration comparisons are to other singles and not twins.

TOPGUN130643 10-02-2005 08:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
In over 35 years of living model aviation I have owned it, seen it, or flew it. I really wasn't comparing my experience with the TS52 to a twin cylinder engine but I guess more to the single cylinder engines in it's class. As I say I don't own a taurus and am not going to say what 50cc engines I own because I don't think Bob meant for this forum to be for comparisons. I will say the taurus was the smoothest running single cylinder engine that I have seen.

BBW Walt 10-02-2005 08:36 PM

It is nice to see that there are others as loyal to Taurus as to the folks that are to DA or 3W or ZDZ. At least it is a positive thing. Taurus engines are a good choice and a good option for someone looking here for options and opinions. Taurus does offer an execellent product and will stand behind what they produce, We need more...:D

Bob Laine 10-02-2005 09:02 PM

OK Bill, I'll get the comments I was going to make written tomorrow. I spent 1 1/2 hours writting them this morning before I went to church, only too find out that when I posted them, the only thing posted was the "Tease" Quickly though, in answer to the question about the two different engines, (SACHS & TAURUS) the asumption that the Taurus engine is "SACH's" based is incorrect. The only thing common between the two engines is the cylinder. But.....even the cylinders are different when they are closely compared one to the other. I don't think one could call a GREYHOUND, a BLOODHOUND, just because they are both dogs? But as John, (my brother) said, This thread is not meant to compare one engine against the other. It will simply be a thread to confirm, (or dis-credit) a statement that I made awhile back.

Bob Laine 10-02-2005 09:16 PM

What's with the arrow? Sneaky...Sneaky

Bob Laine 10-02-2005 09:20 PM

Come on Ralph, Let's not be so picky-picky. Besides, you know that it is a psyical impossibility to perfectly ballance even a TWIN engine. Because nothing is perfect except maybe your ignition.

TOPGUN130643 10-02-2005 09:33 PM

I'm sorry bob but i'm sneaky by nature

Antique 10-03-2005 02:05 AM

Topgun said ENGINE..;)
Wish my ignition was perfect..Fact is, something is going wrong and there's no way I can figure out what it is...I will be using C&H circuits until the problem is gone..If I can't find it C&H will have me for a customer and a whole bunch of my stock components will be going in the trash can, I will NOT sell something that doesn't work....:eek:

Bob Laine 10-03-2005 05:45 AM

Ralph, Thank you for you honesty. That's why you have a reputation of always giving an straight forward, honest opinion, based on fact. I have no doubt that which ever way you decide to go will be for the improvement of your product, rather than a larger profit margin.

Bob Laine 10-03-2005 07:24 PM

I finally got my thread to Post.

bpryor 10-03-2005 11:48 PM

ORIGINAL: Bob Laine

2: Give your overall, personal opinion as to it's ]Reliability, Smoothness of operation, Starting, Transition, Quality, and customer service.

Ok, I'll play. Even though lots of people reading this will already know my opinion and experience, as it has been documented many times in the past, but here goes...

I hate Taurus......JUST KIDDING.... My primary experience was with a TS-42 in a Dave Patrick 27% Extra. I had owned at that time all of the brands Bob has mentioned in his post plus a couple more. I too had had good experiences with all of them, though I did have my favorites. I bought the Taurus because of the urging from an online friend that swore by his, and said I should try one. I certainly did not expect to become the vocal proponent I became after spending some time with that engine.

From the beginning it was a very positive experience. The engine was cosmetically attractive and appeared to be made of quality materials and constructed with care. I was not disappointed. From the first time I started it, I knew the Taurus was different. Even new, it started in a couple of flips of turning on the ignition, idled at a relatively slow(for a new engine) speed and very reliably, right from the start. It was easy to tune, with a very smooth and quick transition. Faster than any small gas engine I'd had. The next obvious thing I noticed was it was definitely smoother than any other single I'd ever owned. I had been told this, but didn't believe it until I saw it with my own eyes.

The engine continued to perform reliably, in starting and performance as long as I had it. The other thing that was amazing is that it was the most powerful engine I'd had in that size range too, and still is from what I can ascertain from the current numbers people are posting for engines that size....and 50's. That's a very difficult one to prove since there are so many variables involved, but I guarantee you it definitely was not lacking power.

I really can't see you going wrong with a Taurus. I continue to try other engines because it's my nature to experiment, but nothing has topped it yet, and I wouldn't hesitate for a second to own another one.

Flip and Fly 10-04-2005 07:21 AM

Well I just E mailed Taurus to get some info on the 4.4. Responded back the same day. Any one else have any experience with this motor.

GeraldRosebery 10-04-2005 09:09 AM

I have owned a Taurus 52 and and fly a 62. The engines are NOT vibration free, but for single bangers they are a LOT smoother than the average engine. Bill says it's the careful balancing of the shaft and the third bearing at the back of the engine that contributes most to the smooth running. They are GREAT engines, as powerful as anything out there, totally realiable and with great service Surprise -- they ask and get a good price for them. They are really hard to buy used as people usually don't sell them.

G McIntosh 10-04-2005 09:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Flip & Fly; My buddies and myself bought 4 Taurus 4.4 ci engines a few years ago.. Two of the engines are flying in 33 lb , 100"ws Mustangs. We bought these engines site unseen after talking to Bill O., for awhile.. We've never been disappointed.. Bill is an outstanding person to deal with excellant service and support. Our 4.4's are one of the smoothest running engines one could ask for. Using CH-ignitions, they start first time everytime .. wonderfull smooth Idle and powerful to boot. Glenn M.

Bob Laine 10-04-2005 09:52 AM

Very good post Bill. That's exactly the way I feel about "Taurus" engines, and I suspect most, if not all of the others who do now or have in the past owned this engine, feel the same way. I have the same feeling for "TAURUS" engines, that I have for the "Volkswagon," automobile.(the old one) They both are as close to being perfect as one could hope for, yet they've been that way since day one. Someday I hope everyone will have an opportunity to run one of these exceptional engines, because only by seeing for themselves, will they truly understand why We, as "Taurus" owners are so loyal to this engine. Running one is an experience one won't forget, Flying one is even better. Even if you don't purchase one, I bet you still won't have anything negative to say about the engine...... I guess some may say that a few of us Myself, bpryor AJF and Excaliber, are just a "CULT" follow'ers, and I do admit I'm a sucker most all small gas engines we use for our "TOY" PLANES, and sometimes it might even hurt when I have to part with one of them. I just seem to be a magnet for this stuff, and aquire so many large airplanes, I run into storage constraints. Then, I'm forced to sell something so I can buy something. Guess it must be in the "genes," because my two brothers, John, & Ronnie, are just as bad as I am.

Bob Laine 10-04-2005 09:57 AM

Soon.......Bill will be introducing an INLINE twin for those Mustangs. OHH happy days.

bpryor 10-04-2005 10:09 AM

Glenn,

STOP putting pictures of those Mustangs up here! :) I may just have to start saving my pennies for one of those inline twins Bob mentioned to put in a great big Mustang. Hmmmm, now what can I sell to start filling that piggy bank. A few years ago I had a World Models GS Mustang(much smaller than yours), and way before that I had a Byron's Mustang, but I was never really very happy with those.

Flip and Fly 10-04-2005 12:43 PM

Nice work! Would be really cool to take a P 51 ,like that size, and modify it into a Reno type setup, and prop for speed[>:] If only I had unlimited funds:eek:

Antique 10-04-2005 01:12 PM

Modified P51 Miss Ashley..289cc, 27 pitch prop, 220+ mph radar verified:D Cost ? You don't want to know:eek:

Flip and Fly 10-04-2005 01:17 PM

THATS IT!!!!!!!!!!! Would love to get out and watch the races, to far south for me, maybe one day[8D] Is that yours!

By the way was on the Taurus sight again, the new 107 can turn a 26-8???????? A little conservative maybe!

Bob Laine 10-04-2005 02:39 PM

The new "Proto Type" TAURUS, 107B2 TWIN ENGINE," has not even been tested. or even underwent any final tuning it may require before it is released. I'll be putting one on a new project of mine just as soon as the cleanup on the "Casting's" are completed. Only then, can we begin to see what it's performance with any given Propeller might be.. All new engines take time to "break in," and this is an entirely new engine design. Spectulation right now about which "PROP" will give "WHAT RPM,"... is just that, "PURE SPECTULATION." But, one thing you can be sure of.......As with all Taurus engines, You won't be dissapointed in this one. Stay tuned.

Diablo-RCU 10-04-2005 06:34 PM

Which cylinders/pistons are on the 107? Makita/Mahle, Husqvarna, Taurus, or????

Bob Laine 10-04-2005 06:48 PM

They are "TAURUS. They are designed by Taurus, and produced to their specifications. by MAHLE. As a matter of fact, most the cylinders you named are also produced by Mahle.

Diablo-RCU 10-04-2005 08:59 PM

They are "TAURUS. They are designed by Taurus, and produced to their specifications. by MAHLE. As a matter of fact, most the cylinders you named are also produced by Mahle.
Really? So Taurus purchases a different 52cc cylinder/piston than Fox, Brison, or Makita?

bpryor 10-04-2005 09:28 PM

ORIGINAL: Diablo-RCU

Really? So Taurus purchases a different 52cc cylinder/piston than Fox, Brison, or Makita?

Ok, tell me Diablo, what difference does it make if they have Tinker Toy cylinders if they run fantastically, are smooth, powerful and are one of the most reliable motors out there? In other words, what's your point?

Bob Laine 10-05-2005 09:17 AM

Some things are not meant to be "common knowledge" some are not. after all, there are TRADE SECRETS you know. As bpryor, said,"what difference does it make". The fact is, (TAURUS) surley must be doing something different than the other MFG's you named because Taurus engines run so much better. This thread is not meant to BUILD the Taurus engine. It's merely meant to see how many negative comments owners of the engines may have and would like to share.
You didn't mention if you have ever owned a Taurus, or even seen one being used by someone else. If you've had no experience with a Taurus engine, this thread is not meant for you. If you have owned one, and have had a bad experience with it, let everyone know about it. That is the "topic" of this Thread.
On the other hand, if all you want to do is quibble about something so insignifficent as to "who supplys a MFG'rs PARTS, I suggest, how am I suppose to know? I neither work for "TAURUS" and I certainly had no part in the design of the engines. The truth is, all I really care about is the "END PRODUCT."
I suggest you read some of the other "Threads," on this site, or any other site, relating to MFG's engines and the related problems that are associated with them. Those are the engines one might be better off concerning themselves about which parts are being used in them. I would also suggest that if you are unhappy with the engines you are now useing, "TRY A "TAURUS," You'll be happy with it and you won't have to worry about which cylinder and pistons are being used in them. The only thing you'll have to worry about is that one day you may have replace the piston ring, (if you live long enough) and no I don't know who makes the "RING."

G McIntosh 10-05-2005 09:33 AM

One thing I added for very smooth throttle responce in the two mustangs using the 4.4's. I'm using Snake-Drive on the carburetor with a CS-12 Hobbico high speed micro servo.

Bill the two Mustangs are short kits from Fardon Model Products .. Now out of business.. but are much alike the Eagle Model products. One is all Flight Metal and the other is painted, 100" ws and 31 & 33 lbs. No lack of power w/ the Taurus's for sure'.. Glenn M.

Bob Laine 10-05-2005 10:01 AM

Those "Mustangs," are really beautiful Aircraft. It's always nice to have something that draw's all the attention at the flying field and I'm sure your Mustang does. What "Prop" are you useing, and what's the weight? If I'm lucky, maybe one day you'll bring it to "Tripeltree"

bpryor 10-05-2005 10:10 AM

ORIGINAL: G McIntosh
Bill the two Mustangs are short kits from Fardon Model Products .. Now out of business.. but are much alike the Eagle Model products. One is all Flight Metal and the other is painted, 100" ws and 31 & 33 lbs. No lack of power w/ the Taurus's for sure'.. Glenn M.
Thanks Glenn, I'll check them out.

Diablo-RCU 10-05-2005 04:54 PM

ORIGINAL: bpryor

Ok, tell me Diablo, what difference does it make if they have Tinker Toy cylinders if they run fantastically, are smooth, powerful and are one of the most reliable motors out there? In other words, what's your point?
The point is that Bob said there was a new 107 in development that used cylinders designed by Taurus. There is a big difference in "designed by" and "used by". If Taurus didn't design it, then it's not their design. The cylinders/pistons on a two-stroke are the most important aspect of the engine when it comes to determining the power output. The cylinders contain the ports, which determine the gas flow velocity, intake, transfer and exhaust duration, squish geometry, compression ratio, spark plug placement, and tuning response with the exhaust system. The reason I wanted to know who designed the cylinders is because I simply wanted to know if Taurus was optimizing cylinders/porting by designing their own for r/c. There are other manufacturers that started up using common cylinders for industrial applications and adapted them to r/c. Some have decided that they can make a better engine for r/c by designing their own cylinders with the parameters optimized for r/c. It isn't voodoo or magic, it's engineering.

bpryor 10-05-2005 05:23 PM

It isn't voodoo or magic, it's engineering.
Absolutely right, and it's the results that really matter, isn't it, not who made the cylinder, or if it was an original design, old design, shared design, whatever. I'll say it again, the results are what matter, and Taurus has proven over and over again that they match or exceed the performance in all aspects of the manufacturer's that are building their own cylinders. I would love to see some actual data indicating that these manufacturer's have achieved a superior engine "by designing their own cylinders with the parameters optimized for r/c". From the RPM numbers I've seen posted on this and other forums, the Taurus is right in there with the engines that have cylinders specifically designed for R/C.