RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/)
-   -   Aircraft International or Cactus Aviation (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/4093383-aircraft-international-cactus-aviation.html)

Efishensea 03-28-2006 10:50 AM

Aircraft International or Cactus Aviation

Aircraft International & Gerhard or Cactus Aviation & Bobby

I will be making the transition from Nitro to Gas this summer. It looks like its going to take a significant commitment of time and resources. Next week I plan to purchase my first 3W Engine and would very much like to get started on the right foot. So the big question is, which of these two establishments do I begin to honor with my funds? And please do not say DA they do not have the one I need first - the 75cc class.

Thanks for the Input.

If you can’t afford to crash it don’t fly it.

3dd 03-28-2006 11:48 AM

RE: Aircraft International or Cactus Aviation

ford or chevy,but i really have had good luck dealing with bobby at cactus and if you really want to get something done just talk to deb,she can handle it

zzw26n 03-28-2006 12:39 PM

Bobby at Cactus ...............

ben beyer 03-28-2006 12:53 PM

I've bought from both places and both guys are nice and easy to work with. I buy from Bobby because he's closer. I'd do the same since you're in CA, but if you buy from AI, no biggie. The thing I like about Cacus is the ability to order stuff online without making a phone call.

RTK 03-28-2006 02:44 PM

Bobby at Cactus

DMcQuinn 03-28-2006 06:48 PM

I too generally work with Bobby Wilson at Cactus. I bought my 3w 100 there originally 5 years ago. Every once in a while I try Gerhard at Aircraft International. He is also very good, in my opinion.

off2fly 03-28-2006 09:30 PM

I can tell you Mr.Gerhard Stejskal with Aircraft International is a very good business man and will always do exactly as he tells you!He will respond and try very hard to satisfy the customer.And also if you have a problem with a engine he can fix it and know's exactly how to fix it.Unlike cactus aviation who very seldom returns phone calls,really has'nt a clue how to repair one.The guy is only a salesman.I know this by expeirience,and I'm not the only one.:D

wingburner 03-28-2006 10:18 PM

You won't go wrong with A.I..Excellent service,shipping and very knowledgable.[8D]

ljones5000 03-28-2006 10:46 PM

All I have done is buy some props from Gerhard and don't know the other fellow but that's nothing against him. I will tell you I like dealing with Gerhard, when I phone he answers, takes my order and bang!, it arrives. I get the feeling it is not a real BIG operation but I feel that way about most of the folk I deal with in this hobby.

Larry

rcdude7 03-29-2006 01:01 AM

I have never dealt with cactus, so I can't comment one way or the other about them.
My friends and I have puchased many thousands of $$ of engines and equipment from Gerhart though. Gerhart is a standup guy who knows his 3W engines and always has the answers to my questions. I've been satisfied with AI thusfar, so I'll continue to do business with them until they give me a reason not to.

Supermod56 03-29-2006 02:59 AM

Either one, Bobby is a friend of mine, so he usually gets my business, Gerhard is equally cool, when I need engine parts, etc. I go to him, even bought a plane from him recently. Gerhard has a 3W factory trained guy on site for repairs, so that's good for guys that don't do their own engine work. Soooo, both are great guys that will go out of their way to hook you up. Buy from both of them!!

Tom

edgeman55 03-29-2006 10:16 AM

Off2fly is right.Mr Wilson at Cactus is the reason I stopped flying 3W engines.He is right there for you thru the sale but geez have fun getting a repair done right or in a reasonable time frame.I have heard from flying buds that Gerhard is great to deal with.I will be a DA fan for life only because they have the best service in the industry IMHO.

DENNIS C 03-29-2006 01:40 PM

I just switched to 3-w and my dealing's so far have been great with bobby at cactus.

off2fly 03-29-2006 01:41 PM

:(Edgeman,you don't forget a hard lesson like that!

DENNIS C 03-29-2006 01:42 PM

ORIGINAL: zzw26n

Bobby at Cactus ...............

What experience do you have with cactus ??

off2fly 03-29-2006 01:48 PM

Wait till you have a problem.Don't shoot the messenger,just a fair warning.

m.gramling 03-29-2006 02:47 PM

I have never dealt with boby, so I can't comment.

But I dealt with Gerhard, when I was having problem with barely used 3W-75usi that I bought used. and he diagnosed that problem over the phone. He told me to send it in, just to make sure.

I mailed it in and had it back in less than 2 weeks. The spark plug cap was fouling out, and he diagnosed my problem over the phone with the symptoms I was telling him. He nailed it right on the head. It been two years and haven't had a problem yet.

3dd 03-29-2006 06:01 PM

both are great but just be sure you get what you really want because you can't make up motor troubles and blame the vender cause he won't give you a bigger and more expensive engine just because it runs perfect in the shop but not after you get it back

T28Driver 03-29-2006 06:06 PM

My first experience purchasing from Aircraft International, just last week, was great. Superb customer service.

Efishensea 03-29-2006 08:02 PM

Ok Guys, plenty of high-quality information here. I believe I know what to do now and, whom to do it with. But, I want to express thanks to every person who gave contribution and opinion here. This was truly helpful in taking my first steps forward into the Gassers World.

Thank You !

If you can’t afford to crash it, don’t fly it!

JPrc 03-29-2006 08:16 PM

3dd,

You mean like if you bought a 150 and later decide you want a 157. ;) I have dealt with Bobby for years and have had great service and support from him.

off2fly 03-29-2006 08:25 PM

3DD Can't make up motor problems,What the hell can that mean??LOL!All I know is I would have been much better off buying a used engine from a rc'er then one from him who could'nt fix one if his life depended on it and ain't got the ball's to even return a call or e-mail.I know you think the guy's ok but if you knew the truth about my expirience with him I don't believe you would.!!.

off2fly 03-29-2006 08:27 PM

Good luck,you will need it!

rc bugman 03-29-2006 09:38 PM

Gerhard at AI is the only one who receives my 3W business. Nothing but the best of service, very knowledgeable and always there to help. I do some strange stuff with 3W engines not typical of the hobby RCer. When I buy a used engine which has been repaired by Bobby and won't run right, I send it to Gerhard to have it straightened out. They always return running perfect.

Elson

3dd 03-29-2006 10:39 PM

ORIGINAL: JPrc

3dd,

You mean like if you bought a 150 and later decide you want a 157. ;) I have dealt with Bobby for years and have had great service and support from him.
you are right ,bobby is one hell of a good guy and i have not ever had a delay or a complaint on anything bobby has done for me over the years i have known him