RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/)
-   -   Let's try again DL-50 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/5532868-lets-try-again-dl-50-a.html)

PlaneKrazee 03-20-2007 05:29 PM

RE: Let's try again DL-50

My response was pointed to the fact I think a importer should offer parts and service to all equipment of that brand. It is good business and that company would likely get my business in the future. However, unless I could recover costs, I don't think I would warranty items purchased elsewhere either.

HVAC, take care and have a good flight.

olstoney 03-20-2007 05:49 PM

ORIGINAL: hvac

your right. i shouldnt be speaking for scott. do what you want, buy from whomever you want, i really dont care. i've had it with rcu. everything you say on rcu forums gets slammed some way or other. i have had enough of all these keyboard flyers. later.
Nice attitude, glad you are not speaking for Scott :). His e-mail response was very friendly and informative.

Antique 03-20-2007 06:33 PM

The DL50 here had a Walbro carb on it and was fine, see the test results above...

jrjohn 03-20-2007 06:44 PM

ORIGINAL: bubbagates

Gary,

I think everyone here would agree that knowing where to get service for this engine and how to go about it is very important and is the last reason why I have not bought one yet. I'm all for nice powerful inexpensive engines (I.E.. throw away engines) but I refuse to stick any engine onto one of my planes that may at any time quit because of workmanship issues and not be able to get warranty work done. If someone does not want to work on an engine for whatever reason, that is their right but it's great customer and business relations if they do.

Here's an good example that I can complete document via PM if anyone really wants to know.

I own another brand that is only sold by two places here in the US. I bought it from one of them and it had problems with the ignition. It was sent back to the original place of purchase and they said nothing was wrong and I reinstalled it to find I still had the same problem. After a few phone calls and doing tests that were suggested that I had already done, I finally called the other distributor and explained the issue, he offered to have a look at it and fix it under warranty if that is what it was. I sent it to him with the express statement in email and a note in the box that since I did not purchase the engine from him I would gladly pay for the parts and labor and deal with the manufacturer myself.

Needless to say this distributor replaced what I had said it was all along and never charged me a dime, even for shipping. You can bet he'll get my next order even though he is 2000 miles away where the other is less than 100 miles away. Customer service is everything to me and I feel safe in saying that it is to all of us. I

Now if this turns out to be a decent engine using quality parts, as it's starting to look that way between Boss's and Ralph's reports and we have a reliable source for parts and repairs then you can bet I'll jump on this as well.
Bubba why do you call these engines "throw away engines" From what I can see they are excellent, I have both the DL-50 and the 3MM so I'm talking from experience. when an over priced DA or 3W runs out of waranty, is it then a throw away too?

John

bubbagates 03-20-2007 07:17 PM

Bubba why do you call these engines "throw away engines" From what I can see they are excellent, I have both the DL-50 and the 3MM so I'm talking from experience. when an over priced DA or 3W runs out of waranty, is it then a throw away too?
Because that term was used several times in the locked thread, nothing more or less than that. I beleive it came form several people saying that if you dynamite one it's still cheaper buying two of the DL engines versus one of a "name brand" ones

Now as far as the DA warranty is concerned I cannot and will not argue with that, but I've expereinced buying a used older Da50 (early 1000 serial number) and when I called Da with the serial number to get it's history, I was informed that it needed the current upgrades and was told to send it in and it would not cost me a thing other than shipping in both directions and I made it clear I bought it used so for roughly 30 bucks I got a new piston/rod and the carb block mod and a few other small things for literally nothing and had to treat the engine as brand new. I've seen first hand where Da covers warranty to not only the original purchaser but anyone after it as long as the warranty is still valid. Please show me another engine manufacturer does that. Customer service is very important to me and I'll gladly pay extra to get that

As far as 3W I will not even go there....so do not even ask.

I am very interested in the DL engine, as I stated before, I am awaiting parts availability, especially since we now have 2 apparently bad carbs and no clear way to get it replaced under the warranty supplied with the DL. That fact alone is holding me off. Between all reports so far I am impressed and maybe I shoud have never used that term so for that I am going to apologize to the thread.

I will go edit it out as it was wrong

jrjohn 03-20-2007 07:28 PM

Bubba, Like I said I have a DA 50, I took the DA out of my 87'' EF yak and snapped the DL in place and ran it. I don't even want to post my results

John

closetguy 03-20-2007 08:08 PM

ORIGINAL: jrjohn

Bubba, Like I said I have a DA 50, I took the DA out of my 87'' EF yak and snapped the DL in place and ran it. I don't even want to post my results

John
jrjohn
comeone this is what these threads are for,if you like the DL better or the DA?
ENJOY!

jrjohn 03-20-2007 08:37 PM

ORIGINAL: closetguy

ORIGINAL: jrjohn

John
jrjohn
comeone this is what these threads are for,if you like the DL better or the DA?
ENJOY!
Well, I have a theory. If we hype this engine, the demand will go up, when demand increases, so do the prices. Lets just say I'd like to buy a couple before the price increases. The thing starts and runs beautiful, certainly every bit as good as a DA that costs twice as much.
23x8 NX prop was turning 6600. Transition was spot on, idle..... perfect

there I said it, Next I'll run the 3mm 53cc. I have a feeling the 3mm will be better yet. The only reason I say that is because I feel the DA and DL viberate more than they need to. I think it's because of the single web crank. (cantilevered) The 3mm has a double web crank supported on both ends thus more counterballance and smoother. I wonder if Ralph agrees with this.??

John

John

chuck l 03-20-2007 08:39 PM

w4dnq

Did you try to richen the low end mixture screw?

Chuck

SERCE 03-20-2007 08:50 PM

Chuck I
Thanks for the info, I will try this tomorrow.
However, I came home from work today and took a video of my issue.
Here follows the link to the video ---------------

http://www.rcuvideos.com/view_video....75c721d45db5d3

Thanks

ORIGINAL: chuck l

w4dnq

Chuck

jrjohn 03-20-2007 08:56 PM

ORIGINAL: w4dnq

Chuck I
Thanks for the info, I will try this tomorrow.
However, I came home from work today and took a video of my issue.
Here follows the link to the video ---------------

http://www.rcuvideos.com/view_video....75c721d45db5d3

Thanks

ORIGINAL: chuck l

w4dnq

Chuck

You have a fuel delivery problem, thats for sure, it's not the engine

SERCE 03-20-2007 09:34 PM

I was hoping bosshoss would be online tonight as I think he had the very same problem.
He just replaced the carb with one from a G62 which I don't have.
It just seems funny that he had the same prob as me ?

nmking09 03-20-2007 09:58 PM

Dr. wack has the same problem, that makes 3. when we ran his is was doing the exact same thing.

Antique 03-20-2007 10:02 PM

The one here ran perfectly, maybe I got the exception..It's on the way back to the owner, he will run it and see....
Only thing different was the mount, the weak looking extrusion with square corners was not used, I made a better one..It's with the engine...

Bosshossv8 03-20-2007 10:30 PM

W,

don't use that mount.....

Yes, your High speed circuit is in operable.

to test and confirm.....close the high needle all the way. The same result should happen,....as you are only running on the low circuit.

open the high 3 turns , it will be looose....same result. open the low to 3 turns it will go alittle faster but still quit.....

HIgh circuit is not working. I am just putting a wt76 on mine...

SERCE 03-20-2007 10:34 PM

RCIGN1 - aka Ralph,
There is a distance of about 3/4" between the front of the wood mounting stand and the air
inlet of the carb, but it doesn't seem like it is starving for air, it seems like it is starving for fuel.
I went from 0 open to 4-1/2 turns out with no diff.??

Antique 03-20-2007 11:21 PM

That's enough space.
This one had a fitting in the case and another in the carb backplate, check it for leaks...

Bosshossv8 03-21-2007 06:40 AM

ORIGINAL: RCIGN1

That's enough space.
This one had a fitting in the case and another in the carb backplate, check it for leaks...

I used automotive Goop around the pump fittings. Just in case....

W4, your motor is running solely on the low speed circuit.

I used a DA-50 carb on mine. But a WT76 is going on it ,,,,

I bet they just fart or idle the motors to test them, and thats it....that is why these are getting out with bad carbs.

You get the QC you paid for , IMO. It seems about 50% hit or miss, at least from the reports here, on the carb working on both circuits.

I knew something was wrong with mine BEFORE I even ran it....I could not get it to draw fuel without closing the choke and my finger to block off the little hole in it. And it barely did it. After the first two flame outs , I knew. I had had this problem with a plugged main needle before, but it was on a dirty carb, and Gumout cleaned out the gunk after disassembly.

Not this time...it was jammed. From the word GO.

I doubt I am going to get anymore flight time on his motor for a few weeks I am working on something else. But, the next time, it will be in a different airplane.

nmking09 03-21-2007 11:58 AM

What would be an accptable replacement spark plug for the DL? I would like to go with a resistor. Hopefully something I can get at O'riley, or autozone.

frieshoo 03-21-2007 12:32 PM

NGK CM6

skreamer 03-21-2007 08:03 PM

Hello guys,

Well I ordered an engine on Mon. the 12th. Thursday I got the tracking #. Been watching and waiting and tracking. Package arrived today at post office and I had to work all day. Good news is the wife went to get it for me. As soon as I saw it my heart fell as it was the wrong shape. I recieved 5 20x8 props, 4 16x8 props, 1 16x10 apc type prop, 1 3 1/4 in. spinner. Guess some one else got my engine. I'm a little concerned as I have had no response to numerous E-mail regarding spare parts. I sent off two E-mails from different computers and adresses about this. Hope I get a reply. Any one know about cancelling a transaction on credit card involving Pay Pal? This would be last resort if I don't here from them. Guess I was'nt meant to have one of these babies. Well I defy the plane GODS as my machinist tells me that the backplate is almost done and he is even gonna make me a muffler.:D[8D]He says if he has time he will even weld the broke fins on the cylinder.

Mitsu1 03-21-2007 09:38 PM

Don't panic just yet. I have heard that Peak is good about taking care of mistakes. I don't have any experience myself with this, as all my orders have arrived as ordered. I just remember reading a post here where the author said they really went the extra mile to correct their mistake. Email them. Also, since they are on the other side of the planet, I have found that if I email them late at night, they usually respond within an hour or so, ... since it's business hours over there at this time.

skreamer 03-21-2007 09:54 PM

They have replied requesting pics of package. I sent them. Wonder why they don't reply to previous messages about parts and just say they are not avilable at this time? Ah, well I'm happy they replied so quickly to this message.:)

Mitsu1 03-21-2007 10:07 PM

I bet the guy that received a new DL-50 for about $75 won't be complaining about his missing props :). In fact, I bet he'll ignore any emails from them if they sort it out.

jrjohn 03-21-2007 10:14 PM

ORIGINAL: Mitsu1

I bet the guy that received a new DL-50 for about $75 won't be complaining about his missing props :). In fact, I bet he'll ignore any emails from them if they sort it out.
I hope your wrong, all my life I have found most people to be basically pretty honest. I bet when they sort this out, the guy sends you the motor and you send him the props. I hope both orders went to the USA!

John