RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/)
-   -   Let's try again DL-50 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/5532868-lets-try-again-dl-50-a.html)

Al Lewis 10-14-2007 03:01 PM

RE: Let's try again DL-50

Just got back from flying my Extra 260. You'll all be happy to hear it DID NOT disintegrate in mid air, nor did it ingest any small animals or children while warming up or taxiing to the runway. In fact, it runs and flies just fine. I'll keep you all posted should the inevitable disaster occur. Until then, back to the DL.:):):):):):) Oh, that 23A Vess REALLY flies that plane nice!!!

pilot727 10-14-2007 03:34 PM

That muffler is the best set up i have yet seen, just asking a ew questions, it is too close to the fire wall as i have burn marks on my fire wall and it is much further away, also would it be better with some kind of a strap set up to the side of the fire wall for vibration reasons, only my thoughts, what do you think sg even so it is a fantastic idea and well thought out and i give you a 10 for the way you have set it up, it takes a great welder to come up with something like that, also i would do something so that no one can copy your idea and put it into production, know what i mean, and they will take the credit for your idea

Bob Pastorello 10-14-2007 03:36 PM

lou55 - How well did those improperly-installed restraining straps over your stab work? Have you checked those tubes for loosening yet?
And the Vess.... assuming that it is over-revving the DL 50?
Don't you know any better???

Al Lewis 10-14-2007 03:38 PM

That looks really sweet Rich. Did you baffle the muffler? If you wanted to run smoke would you tap the manifold or the can? Is the manifold 6061 or 7075? Looks like you're on to a money maker there! Great job!!:D:D:D:D:D:D

Al Lewis 10-14-2007 03:43 PM

Just call me clueless! I am looking at a prop for an ultra-light to load the engine a bit more. I'm sure everyone means well but c'mon guys, get a grip!:D:D:D:D:D Hey Sewerdude!!! Great to see ya here buddy! How's everything going?? No more twisters I hope. As you can see my sense of humor hasn't changed between threads. Did you buy one of these great engines??

Speedy-Gonzales 10-14-2007 04:08 PM

Don't give me credit for this great design. It is Rfabbre's intellect that has put this on our table!!! I'm ready for my first helping! I may get 2 and save one just in case! Don't worry about someone copying the idea. Why do you think we are talking in a forum about the DL-50???? I will buy from Rich because he has shown his generosity by sharing his creation with us. Rich......you may be in for some good business. The cat is out of the bag! SG

exeter_acres 10-14-2007 04:32 PM

agreed....cuz human rights suck!

Al Lewis 10-14-2007 04:35 PM

edited for content

Bob Pastorello 10-14-2007 04:40 PM

Amen, and Amen.
This is a DL 50 thread.

Speedy-Gonzales 10-14-2007 04:42 PM

Pilot727, If you are getting burn marks on your firewall I would suggest a product from BVM Jets. BVM "Heat Shield+" and BVM "Ceramic Heat Blanket" is a perfect solution for dealing with heat. Here is link.

http://www.bvmjets.com/

The "Heat Shield+" is a brush on ceramic coating. It works!

paul5992 10-14-2007 04:45 PM

Love this motor

Bob Pastorello 10-14-2007 04:45 PM

SG - I can vouch for your recommendation of the BVM product. Great stuff!!!
(Although air-space and movement is less expensive ;) - )

Speedy-Gonzales 10-14-2007 04:52 PM

Edited for content and respect for our moderator. Thanks "bubbagates"!

pilot727 10-14-2007 05:00 PM

I AM RUNNING MY ENBINE BRAKING IT IN WITHOUT THE COWL ON, WOULD THAT MAKE A DIFFERENCE ON BURNING THE FIRE WALL, I WILL GET SOME OF THAT CERAMIC AND BRUSH IT ON JUST FOR PROTECTION, THANKS.

Al Lewis 10-14-2007 05:05 PM

Turn off your caps lock, you're shouting! BTW Three layers of 3M aluminum tape works well too!

Al Lewis 10-14-2007 05:21 PM

TOPICS OF DISCUSSION:
Although discussion forums encourage a wide range of opinions, please keep your posts focused on the topic of the forum in which you are submitting your message.

RCUniverse's chosen language is English. All other languages are subject to removal.

Each forum has a different topic, so what is appropriate in one forum or thread may not be appropriate in another.

RCUniverse.com is focused on R/C. Accordingly, topics must remain R/C related.

We do not permit POLITICAL, SOCIAL, religious, or other off-topic discussions. There are many places online to express your opinions on issues outside of RC so "RC" Universe is designed to be a place to talk just about RC.

paul5992 10-14-2007 05:24 PM

Love this motor

Al Lewis 10-14-2007 05:48 PM

So, did no one else get to fly today???? Let's hear some DL stories!!!!! Mine flew great!!! Unlimited vertical just above half throttle!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D I'm pretty sure western Washington didn't have better weather then everywhere else!!

bubbagates 10-14-2007 05:55 PM

Ok folks, I have at least 3 PM's from different members on the political discussion which is going on in here and which is totally against the rules so I am politely giving everyone 24 hours from the time of this post to remove any political disccusion. If it is not done then I will edit all the posts myself and just so there is no question on the rules here is it

TOPICS OF DISCUSSION:
Although discussion forums encourage a wide range of opinions, please keep your posts focused on the topic of the forum in which you are submitting your message.

RCUniverse's chosen language is English. All other languages are subject to removal.

Each forum has a different topic, so what is appropriate in one forum or thread may not be appropriate in another.

RCUniverse.com is focused on R/C. Accordingly, topics must remain R/C related.

We do not permit political, social, religious, or other off-topic discussions. There are many places online to express your opinions on issues outside of RC so "RC" Universe is designed to be a place to talk just about RC.
Please refresh your memory on the rules at the following link

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_377662/tm.htm

paul5992 10-14-2007 05:55 PM

It rained all day here, but yesterday I flew my yak for some new friends. My doctor friend said, I think you need more power. That was after a 1/4 throttle takeoff and a 1/2 throttle rocket ship up to about 200 feet. His jaw was wide open, Tounge hangen out.

http://media.putfile.com/sd-model-yak-dl-50

Al Lewis 10-14-2007 06:05 PM

Right!!! And now you're going to tell me you didn't have your Dad shoot any video for us????? Admit it, He's a star!!!! John Ford never did so great!!!! Hey Bob, 92 hits on the video and counting!!!

Speedy-Gonzales 10-14-2007 06:21 PM

Cowl off should be cooler. Cowl on is what you have to be concerned about. If firewall is burning with cowl off you have a situation that needs to be addressed. SG

An "expert" is someone that has crashed more than 10 times! :)

Speedy-Gonzales 10-14-2007 06:27 PM

OOPS! Musta hit reply button twice. Message same as previous.

pilot727 10-14-2007 06:41 PM

I live in utah and it was in the high 90's and while idling it gets really hot here, it isnt burent it is just kind of brown marks where the muffler has gotten hot, also i do not know if it makes a difference but i have the slim line muffler.

Speedy-Gonzales 10-14-2007 06:47 PM

Slimline is a little restrictive. Some results claim a 400 rpm drop from stock muffler. She may be getting hot. SG

I gotta get off this forum for a while and get something done. Waiting for that new muffler,Rich!
Got one done yet? It's been a whole day now! LOL!!!;)