RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/)
-   -   Let's try again DL-50 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/5532868-lets-try-again-dl-50-a.html)

skreamer 03-09-2007 04:08 PM

RE: Let's try again DL-50

I would like to know about spare parts myself. I'm gonna need them. I maiden flight to day and crashed on take off. Motor was running great and preflight was excellent. Range check excellent. 10 ft of altitudeand the plane rolled right 360 deg. and then nose down hard! Right into the runway. I carried one of my wing bags down the runway with me and the whole plane fit into it to carry home. The aluminum extrusion mount was bent pretty bad no cracks or sign of fatigue. It even has the two mounting ears from the block still bolted to it. I have no worries at all about the mount. I think it is matched to or excedes the strenght of the ears that it is mounted to. Again two ears broke off the cast case and are still bolted to the mount and the other two ears did not break and are still bolted to the mount. The mount is bent up but not cracked. The cylinder has three mushed fins that will probably break off when straightened. I would expect similar damage to any engine that I crashed this hard. I will check about welding the tabs back on and redrilling two new holes. If not spare parts would be great. Well back to the drawing board for me. O, and all you fellas that dont want to use the supllied mount, I'm in need of a new one just send it to me.:)

Bosshossv8 03-09-2007 04:30 PM

skreamer ....sorry to hear the bad news............I hope you can get parts. Try Peak as it seems they have at least a direct connection to the factory.

This will be a good (but unfortunate) test for us. I hope you find the cause of the crash. Test that radio gear ....twice.

I am completly expecting RFI when I run this one in my Yak. I had to go to straight batteries (nimhs) in a CH igniton equipped BME .. A Fromeco and Li-ion setup on the CH was making RFI like crazy....straight nimhs made it go away. I still don;t know why.

Same Fromeco /li-ion setup on a DA was clean. So , I am bringing a nimh pack with just in case.

Boo2 03-09-2007 04:58 PM

ORIGINAL: nmking09
I wanted to re-start the recently blocked DL-50 thread. Please, can we keep this on track and stick to the topic of the engine, its quality, and performance.
And finger-chopping capacity. :D

--
Boo

jrjohn 03-09-2007 05:19 PM

ORIGINAL: frieshoo

I've never used a side dump muffler on my DA's, but It's definitly louder than the DA wrap around pitts.
I think your talking about a Slimline pitts? DA doesn't make one that I know of. so when you say the muffler is louder than the DA muffler, we assume your talking about the only muffler they make which is a side dump muffler

John

hamman 03-09-2007 05:32 PM

skreamer, I'm also sorry for your loss... I had time this afternoon to fly mine a half hour or so, I did lean the idle a tad and it is running smooth at all RPMs, the warmer temp today was easier on the thumbs!

The Fuji I had in this plane was just as loud so I don't think it's that bad...My amish neibors chainsaws ect. are noisy also, noise is not an issue at my field as long as I don't get too carried away and fly when their having church, weddings, ect...

I have had no RFI issues so far, range tests are great... If this thing keeps running as good as it is now I'm a happy camper! RCIGN1, thanks for the prop bolt comments. Hamman

PlaneKrazee 03-09-2007 05:35 PM

Sorry to hear about the lawn dart. Reversed ailerons?

Can you bolt tabs to the case assembly bolt?

I just checked, my engine cleared US customs this morning. Not long now.

jrjohn 03-09-2007 06:00 PM

ORIGINAL: skreamer

I would like to know about spare parts myself. I'm gonna need them. I maiden flight to day and crashed on take off. Motor was running great and preflight was excellent. Range check excellent. 10 ft of altitudeand the plane rolled right 360 deg. and then nose down hard! Right into the runway. I carried one of my wing bags down the runway with me and the whole plane fit into it to carry home. The aluminum extrusion mount was bent pretty bad no cracks or sign of fatigue. It even has the two mounting ears from the block still bolted to it. I have no worries at all about the mount. I think it is matched to or excedes the strenght of the ears that it is mounted to. Again two ears broke off the cast case and are still bolted to the mount and the other two ears did not break and are still bolted to the mount. The mount is bent up but not cracked. The cylinder has three mushed fins that will probably break off when straightened. I would expect similar damage to any engine that I crashed this hard. I will check about welding the tabs back on and redrilling two new holes. If not spare parts would be great. Well back to the drawing board for me. O, and all you fellas that dont want to use the supllied mount, I'm in need of a new one just send it to me.:)
was that a hard surface or grass runway?

jrjohn 03-09-2007 06:05 PM

Actually your lucky you were using a DL. Neither a DL or DA would have covered your loss. You can now buy another complete DL engine/ muffler and still not have all the money into it that you would have with a DA :)

john

PlaneKrazee 03-09-2007 06:43 PM

And now you are the US stocking distributor for internal parts and ignition.:):)

Bosshossv8 03-09-2007 08:27 PM

Skreamer....

After you can look at it again..I know it takes me a while to go back to a pile....hey that rhymes..

Take the plug out , and turn her over and check to see if the crank got tweaked/bent. I wonder how tough the crank is.

I mean that is certainly a lot harder than a propstrike...but just fro reference.

But, I know me,...it takes a while to go back to a pile.[:@][:@]

gotta get back to the re-fit....almost done.

skreamer 03-09-2007 10:05 PM

Skypilotone, I dont think that would be possible as the carb will probably make extensions verry thin. Also the rear case is cracked through under the cylinder.

Jrjohn, hard pack dirt. I bought a used wood 22x8 msc that met its end on this flight. Thankfully it was not the carbon fiber that is due in on monday. $46 whew!
Yes at this price I can afford to buy another which my WIFE pointed out as she told me to quit whining about my broke motor and plane. 2 for 1 is always a good deal.

Bosshov, crank looks good checked with dial indicator side and front but I'm no machinist.

Skypilotone, Distributor Ha Ha hahahahahahahahahahahahh.

Sent message to Peak about back plate cylinder, gasket, muffler, and mount (have not had one donated yet?). I will keep you guys updated on what i hear back from them. Always happy to be the guinnypig and take one for the team and all that.[:@]

I disassembled back plate, mount,carb, and cylinder in about 15 minutes. These engines are so simple. If I can get parts should only take a few minutes to reassemble. [8D]

By the way the cylinder looks excellent and has no visible wear. Engine internals were very clean and tight.

PlaneKrazee 03-09-2007 10:40 PM

You may have to buy the whole case as a matched set but I'm probably wrong. It would be nice to have a US distributor and I don't think the price would have to go up too much. The people selling them now are making a profit. If you could make $100.00 on each engine and be happy you could probably sell them for the same price.

What do we really think the factory is selling them with the ignition to the retailers for now? $125.00? $145.00? Or less? What addes to the cost of may products is the distributorship. They mark it up 100% over the manufacturer and then the retailer marks it up another 50%. But if the distributor sells it direct they get 150%. Not bad ay. Remember you can buy a 47cc pocket bike racer from a US distributor for $179.00.

captinjohn 03-09-2007 10:53 PM

I wonder if a 3/16 alminum plate between lugs and round aluminum or maple standoffs would have prevented lugs to break? A hole would needed in plate for extension to carb. Capt,n

Bosshossv8 03-10-2007 12:12 AM

ORIGINAL: captinjohn

I wonder if a 3/16 alminum plate between lugs and round aluminum or maple standoffs would have prevented lugs to break? A hole would needed in plate for extension to carb. Capt,n

It would go a long way to making it harder to break, Titanium would be best, ha ha. But certainly any kind of plate, would decrease the risk of tab breakage in a hard propstrike/nose over.

Looking forward to running this engine tomorrow....right before I test fire, I will take a static timing check on her.

CF MEjzlik 22 x 8 will be her first prop.

Ok, break timeover....back to the bench.

roalddogge 03-10-2007 05:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello !

Finally, finally I could have the maiden flight on my WM extra with DL50. Conditions were not perfect and we had to go to another place than our club field. I did not fly it myself as I am struggling with back problems and did not feel fit enough, so one of the club mates took the honors.

Both Extra as the DL are locally bought here in Xi'an, China, where I am currently located.

Engine behaved perfect, although still running rich. It had about 3 hours on the stand before and still felt tight. It was running smooth and reacted well on adjustments. No problem with starting except one time when it was hot and got flooded. I feel it was more my own fault as I was priming a lot. After that no problem at all.

now the data:

altitude: 1350 ft
temperature: 10 degrees C (50F)
stable idle at 1750 rpm
6900 with 22 x 8 wood JXF, this was before 1st flight. After that it went noticeable up after some adjustments

As you can see on the pictures I used the standard mounting and had no problems, but have ordered some custom made standoffs.

Although the Extra is not the lightest plane for 80 inch (7,5 kg) the performance was great. It went in the air after just a few meters. Hoovering at half throttle was no problem from performance side. I am quite happy with this combo.

I did however found a way to improve the gasflow capacity of the exhaust. During the 4th flight the end cap came loose !! Obviously the welds were grinded too much. When new it did already look not too good. In fact the exhaust and the mounting stands are the only parts not looking perfect. I noticed that there are FAG bearings used which are not the worst type you can get.

I hope that I can have some more flights on it next weekend.

Roald

jetstuff 03-10-2007 07:20 AM

Great to see we are getting some flight reports. Just to update on a few topics in the new thread:
I got my DL50 from 'steven' (sylvian) in Hong Kong direct via ebay...very reliable and tracked all the way.
I have used the supplied mounts on a (sliding wooden)test stand and put two hours at 2500RPM constant @ 25:1 synthetic mix.(video on another site somewhere..I dare not link to it!)
Another 1/2hour or so at 4000RPM @ 30:1mix and then tried throttle response and briefly maximum power. The engine is producing 20Lbs thrust on the stand with a 21x8 Biela wood/carbon prop without adjusting the carb settings at all. Supplied mounts are fine so far, but i will keep an eye on them. BTW I do balance all my props.
Will terminate the stand testing now and install in a flying machine to be decided!

john

jrjohn 03-10-2007 08:21 AM

I think he said the fins were smashed on the engine as well. With that kind of a hit, I'm afraid there isn't much you could do to prevent what happened. Sure you could build some breakaway mount, but why? I build a plane to fly as lite as possible. If I auger it in, well...... thats my problem.

John

captinjohn 03-10-2007 09:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
jrJohn: I do not think a mount simular to the one in this photo is going to be any heaver than the strange angle work stock mount. My opinion. Capt,n PS, ever hear of Birch Bay Lodge?

jrjohn 03-10-2007 09:55 AM

jrJohn: I do not think a mount simular to the one in this photo is going to be any heaver than the strange angle work stock mount. My opinion. Capt,n PS, ever hear of Birch Bay Lodge?
Looks nice!

jrjohn 03-10-2007 10:22 AM

Kweasel 03-10-2007 05:22 PM

Stand-offs (as they are being used) place a lot of bending force on the mounting lugs. Technically this is the poorest method of mounting an engine. A simple doubler plate will reduce the load on both the engine lugs and stand-offs. A great mount can be made from maple and plywood.

PlaneKrazee 03-10-2007 06:08 PM

My engine was brought to my house by USPS today but I wasn't there to sign for it. I'll pick it up at the P.O. on Monday. Ordered friday night the 3rd, shipped on the 5th and arrived on the 10th. Pretty darn good coming all the way from China with free shipping.

The Ebay dude Steve never got back to me regarding parts or their prices.

Bosshossv8 03-10-2007 10:04 PM

I mounted mine in my KMP/Ebay EF Reject Yak-54.

I had to flip the carb. At first I was unable to pump gas to the motor....had to pull the cowl, and finger choke the little hole in the choke butterfly in order to draw fuel.

Found out why after the motor was running, and it fired and started very easily once wet, no hint of a kickback at all.

After a brief high idle stint , advanced throttle to flame out. again and again and gain.

Open high needle till it was almost falling out,,,,still no high end. My High needle circuit must be plugged. I can make the motor run on low needle by opening her up super rich so the low was feeding at high rpm...but ..........

The reason I had a hard time choking and drawing is because the high circuit is plugged.

I am pulling the carb now after a long day.

I had other motors to work on and stuff to do at the field. But i got a few low needle tanks in and ran smooth. Starts reliably , can;t wait to fly her. Hopefully towmorrow.

Gotta get that carb off............

musltang 03-10-2007 10:26 PM

I ordered a dl50 from peak model on march 2 and it showed up today. looks great. the muffler is super cheesy but i supposed it will look just fine under a cowl. I was suprised to see such i crappy muffler on such a nicely crafted engine. i plan on running it in tomorrow. hopefully it will be ready to fly by next weekend on my extra 260 27% provided i get the plane finished by then.

captinjohn 03-10-2007 10:37 PM

ORIGINAL: Kweasel

Stand-offs (as they are being used) place a lot of bending force on the mounting lugs. Technically this is the poorest method of mounting an engine. A simple doubler plate will reduce the load on both the engine lugs and stand-offs. A great mount can be made from maple and plywood.
Read post #38 Aluminum spacer + stand-offs, which can be maple. Capt,n