RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/)
-   -   2300 to gas (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/5555036-2300-gas.html)

KenLambert 03-13-2007 12:21 PM

2300 to gas

I am not allowed to ask anyone if they have an interest in this engine in this forum if anyone has a question please email me.

Tired Old Man 03-13-2007 01:32 PM

RE: 2300 to gas

Perhaps CaptJohn will send you an e-mail.

KenLambert 03-13-2007 02:11 PM

perhaps

Tired Old Man 03-13-2007 03:00 PM

Ken,

I'm not interested in one of these for myself. It's too small for anything that I prefer to fly, but I have a few buddies that I fly with that use the 2300 in the glow version. As a rule they go through all the usual problems with tuning and keeping a 2300 peaked and running. How would converting a 2300 to gas benefit? What would be the approximate change in power output and what would it compare to in a similar final output glow engine?

It would be nice if I could finally see the folks I fly with have something that stayed running in the air and didn't take up 70% of the flying day to get running right. I don't want to go into any sales or pricing stuff here at all, just the potential benefits of a conversion such as this in general.

Moderators, can we go here? I don't want to step on any toes.

rmh 03-13-2007 04:27 PM

as a glow engine it is absolutely one of th e best power to weight engines going -
IF you set it up correctly --also docile as a lamb
as a gasoline conversion -- done right -- also good but it needs a full conversion -these are on the market
The best of both worlds?
buy a new inexpensive Chinese ignition - redrill/tap head for the larger plug - add a magnet to the hub and then - use alky and 5% nitro and 30% oil -- stock carb (the right one and use a muffler which produces 1/2 psi pressure to tank
smooth as glass and dead nuts reliable easy to run.with a pipe 18x8 at 9000 rpm - been ther- dun it
If you are not familiar with engines - don't try it------- really

pe reivers 03-13-2007 05:40 PM

setting up a ST2300 is a matter of carb adapting and the right plug.
I tuned a few, and it is ultra reliable, only deadsticks if out of fuel.
see http://home.wanadoo.nl/pereivers/woes/preamble.htm and http://home.wanadoo.nl/pereivers/cad...s/carb23cc.zip

KenLambert 03-13-2007 06:10 PM

I did more thanad ignition and spark plug to mine ,i and run it on 50-1 synthetic mix

power is almost same as glow. and the walbro works great

captinjohn 03-13-2007 10:51 PM

KenLambert: Do you install needle bearings in rod so the 50-1 ratio of synthetic oil will work? Thanks Capt,n

mmattockx 03-13-2007 11:16 PM

Ken and others,

As a related question, would running a Walbro carb set up for methanol solve the carb issues the 2300 seems to have on glow? I like the engine, it is very light and at a good price, but the carb gremlins have kept me from going for one. If the Walbro would sort the mixture issues and provide a pump as a handy bonus, that would be a great help.

Ken, I will be sending you a message regarding the gas conversion details.

Thanks,
Mark

Antique 03-13-2007 11:22 PM

A WT499 from a glow G23 works on gas or glow with no mods...

mmattockx 03-13-2007 11:45 PM

Ralph,

But will it solve the carburation issues that seem to dog the 2300?

Mark

Antique 03-14-2007 12:39 AM

Yup, the pump lets you put the tank right on the CG, no need to put it on the centerline of the crank or carb....You will need to put a fitting in the case and another in the back of the carb for a pulse line...Anywhere in the case works....I think C&H has carb adapters...
You will lose some rpm, a G26 is 600 rpm faster on glow fuel and spark ignition compared to gas....

mmattockx 03-14-2007 08:58 AM

ORIGINAL: RCIGN1

Yup, the pump lets you put the tank right on the CG, no need to put it on the centerline of the crank or carb....You will need to put a fitting in the case and another in the back of the carb for a pulse line...Anywhere in the case works....I think C&H has carb adapters...
You will lose some rpm, a G26 is 600 rpm faster on glow fuel and spark ignition compared to gas....
Ralph,

I am thinking of running the Walbro carb with glow, should be a "best of both worlds" solution. Ken, what do you think? Sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread. PM will go out this morning.

Mark

KenLambert 03-14-2007 11:08 AM

capt/ yes I use needle bearings and machine the crank and piston and do some porting also. I also do some mashining on the head so it is a little more than changing the carb.

and the walbro solves all carb problem like Ralph said.

coronabob 03-14-2007 11:36 AM

I am for one putting in the good words for the glow G2300. I own two, Chinese version, and they both are reliable engines. I am not an engine expert, rather I bolt it on, tweak needles and break it in the air. I have had many gallons through mine. I only need to tweak the needles when I switch between 5% or 10%, or when the weather changes.

I am happy with mine and would buy the gas one from Ken if the price is right and the performance is the same as the glow.

mmattockx 03-14-2007 12:07 PM

ORIGINAL: KenLambert

capt/ yes I use needle bearings and machine the crank and piston and do some porting also. I also do some mashining on the head so it is a little more than changing the carb.

and the walbro solves all carb problem like Ralph said.
Ken,

Sounds like a great piece. Thanks for the info on the carb. PM has been sent, I look forward to your reply.

Thanks,
Mark

cadconversions 03-14-2007 01:16 PM

Except in name only, I'm not that familiar with the 2300... However, I'm am looking for a small gasser for a Sr. Telemaster with a little more power than the BME .91 convert. Would this fit the ticket?

Tired Old Man 03-14-2007 01:33 PM

Yes. A bit more in the weight department, but shouldn't be too bad.

KenLambert 03-14-2007 04:29 PM

it would be a very good match

Rod Bender 03-17-2007 07:32 AM

Thursday 3/15/07

Hello Pe,

I've done the 2nd "fix" for the 2300 carb. I have drilled out the bottom to 29/64 and test ran the engine today. It ran well at top end, no surprises, a pretty solid bottom end, and a much improved transition. I started out fat on the bottom, and just continued to lean it out until I had gone too far, then came back to find the "sweet spot". After idle for 1 min I dumped the stick and went FT, it transitioned fine. 2 minutes a little stutter, 4-5 minutes a little stutter and some excess smoke, but it did excellerate to FT.

With that being said, I see no situation while flying that I will need to be at idle for longer than 1 minute for landing. Tomorrow will be the test flight. I will let you know of the results as I never would have gotten this far without your tutorial on this subject, very much appreciated!!!!!

Also, the last time we typed, I had informed you that I purchased a OS 7D carb. When I took the 2300 carb out, I realized that I would need the adaptor to use the OS carb. I am unsure as to which adapter I need, or what is now available? Please let me know in case the ST carb does not perform well.

I appreciate your time and devotion to this hobby Pe, I'm sure I'm not the only one ...... Greg

Friday 3/16/07

Pe,

Just made it back home from the field. A mere 40 mile drive for me......1 way.
The 2300 SCREAMED today. Absolutely unbelievable. I was running 5%, OS F plug, APC 17X8 and everyone swore it was going over 110mph.

I took the plane up a little high, brought the throttle down to idle for 2 minutes circling, you know the sound, da bum bum bum bum bum.......etc

Then I dump the throttle, a puff of smoke and it went right back to wide open. I landed and taxied under power back to the pitts. I only flew it 2x today as I had my other plane also, but look forward to buzzing the airways again with it. It does use a lot of air up there at that speed. I will send you a pic of the plane tomorrow. Its on a 72" Super Sportster.

Thank you Pe for all your help and explanation on your tutorial on this carb issue. I now have another very strong engine in my hanger, and I owe you a great dept of gratitude. It's guys like you that make this sport fun...... Greg

ps: I can now sell that OS 7D carb that I will not need, the mod to the 2300 were dead on per your advise......

NM2K 03-17-2007 07:56 AM

ORIGINAL: Silversurfer

Ken,

I'm not interested in one of these for myself. It's too small for anything that I prefer to fly, but I have a few buddies that I fly with that use the 2300 in the glow version. As a rule they go through all the usual problems with tuning and keeping a 2300 peaked and running. How would converting a 2300 to gas benefit? What would be the approximate change in power output and what would it compare to in a similar final output glow engine?

It would be nice if I could finally see the folks I fly with have something that stayed running in the air and didn't take up 70% of the flying day to get running right. I don't want to go into any sales or pricing stuff here at all, just the potential benefits of a conversion such as this in general.

Moderators, can we go here? I don't want to step on any toes.

--------------

It is too small. I just sold off most of my under 30cc engines when it dawned on me that glow was still king under 40cc's, as someone else has been patiently telling us all in this forum. <G>

I have one more to go, a NIB Evolution 26GT with NIB tuned pipe and NIP Bisson muffler. Or am I aloud to mention that? <G>

Ed Cregger

captinjohn 03-17-2007 09:53 AM

Hey FROGGIE...maybe too small for you, but othere may love it on the right airplane. Capt,n:eek:

NM2K 03-17-2007 10:25 AM

ORIGINAL: captinjohn

Hey FROGGIE...maybe too small for you, but othere may love it on the right airplane. Capt,n:eek:

--------------

That's true. It depends upon your expectations, no doubt.

Trouble is, the 1.60 isn't powerful enough to fly models designed for 1.60 glow engines and it is too heavy and large for models designed for .90 to 1.20 size glow engines.

I am grateful that there are those that like the under two cubic inch gassers. It makes selling mine sooooo much easier. <G>

Ed Cregger

pe reivers 03-17-2007 02:03 PM

1.20 is the turn-over between glow and gas Ed. No doubt about that.
The 1.60 gasser has a hard time competing with the good glow engines around, but it can hold it's own as long as you follow a few simple rules like the exhaust system a gasser needs to perform.
It's the engines twilight, everybody is right with the right arguments.
How many good 35cc engines on glow do you know of?
ST is good in 23cc, 25cc, less in 35cc
OS took a looooong time tio get their 26cc running well
BGX1? A doubtful engine at best.

NM2K 03-17-2007 03:55 PM

Yep, Pe. I agree.

I'm not badmouthing the under two cubic inch engines. For a lot of folks they are just fine for flying the type of models they are interested in. I didn't realize that I was still into performance models as much as I am. Always will be, I suppose. No, not 3D, but the unusually powerful aerobatic models. When I can no longer fly them, I'll just quit the hobby. I've tried getting interested in old man's airplanes and it just isn't working.

However, fortunately, while the near vision decreases with age, the distance vision has improved. At least in my case, so I should be good to go for a while longer.l

I just bought a Moki 2.10 (couple of weeks ago). I can afford the fuel, but I will hate the mess. <G>

Ed Cregger