RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/)
-   -   How is your generic chinese engine so far ? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/7051156-how-your-generic-chinese-engine-so-far.html)

freeonthree 02-09-2008 11:25 PM

How is your generic chinese engine so far ?

I thought it would be interesting to get some feedback from folks like me, who have been running their SV, SPE, THOR, HH, etc, less expensive chinese engines, for a while, and see how their doing. I'll start by saying that i've got the SV26, and it has been a joy. It always starts easily, cold or warm, (although I had to add the choke), and it just runs great. It will idle all day at 1000 rpm I think, and with the MS 18x8 MAS Classic, it turns 7100 restrained, and it pulls my 15 lb Biplane wonderfully.

Problem issues were as follows:
1. Timing was too far advanced from the factory.
2. Supplied muffler was very large, and also crushed under bolt pressure.
3. There is still no parts listing for these engines as of 2/10/08
4. Had to add my own choke, they don't come with one.
5. Had to plug small hole in throttle butterfly to get the idle down.
6. Spark plug hole threads a little sloppy, but not unacceptable. (mine anyway)

And now for the good stuff:
1. Starts easily everytime.
2. Spins an 18x8 Master Air Screw at 7100
3. Idles dependably at around 1000 with above prop.
4. Runs like a dream.

Im currently running 80:1 full synthetic (QuickSilver) with regular unleaded gas, and Master Air Screw 18x8 Classic.
My flying style is just sport and fun. 1/2 to 3/4 throttle mostly. Im currently on my 4th or 5th gallon. Plane is a 15lb Great Planes Super Stearman biplane.

Im currently using a 6v 2000ma NiMH for the ignition. Have had no problems so far, but now allowing it to sit overnight after charging, to get the voltage below 6.5. I'll be adding a 1N5404, 3 amp diode, to the power lead going to the box (cathode toward box) for a .6 to .7 volt drop. (looks good on paper anyway). I'll post the results on that test soon.

In this video, it was still a little fat on the bottom end...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zZ_tO4qb4M

Here's a video of the way this engine idles when you remember to pull the throttle trim back.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XogGXJsratw

focusjohn55 02-10-2008 09:15 AM

RE: How is your generic chinese engine so far ?

FTL 45 CC BRILLIANT..............20x8 7900 rpm

THOR 45 CC BRILLIANT...........20x8 7300rpm

HH 50 CC TWIN BRILLIANT 20x10 7600 rpm...

mitchmcf 02-10-2008 09:23 AM

THOR 45 CC No problems at all
DL 50CC No problems sofar only have 1 gal. through it yet.

Jake Ruddy 02-10-2008 10:36 AM

It would probably be helpful if everyone included rpms, prop size / type, and gallons through the engine. That way it would be very helpful to those looking at all the options for import motors.

Walt and Sage 02-10-2008 11:40 AM

We have been flying FIVE DL50`s with NO problems (so far)....:)

freeonthree 02-10-2008 11:59 AM

OK, good point, i've added more info to mine. Thanks ! :D

EREAGER 02-10-2008 05:44 PM

opinion

tkg 02-10-2008 06:10 PM

ORIGINAL: EREAGER

That's right, buy Chinese! :)Sure. Its cheaper in cost , quality, metallurgy is inferior,[:o] and YOU SAVE MONEY! Did you know that when you buy Chinese, you support the companies you buy from, that are owned by the Chinese Government, which is synonymous with the Chinese military[:o]? Did you know that in the last 10 years or so, the Chinese Government has upgraded their old inferior Viet Nam aged Airforce with aircraft equally competitive to the USA F-16's[>:]? Did you know they trade military info and parts with Rogue States? [X(]So you are saving a few pennies on the dollar? :)Humm, why not buy American and support the people that live in the country YOU LIVE IN, ;)and pay taxes in the country you live in vs. supporting a communist countries military??

Just my two cents.
Your rant is old and things havent changed much since it was first posted years ago.
But in the light of reason how many made in USA engines can you list. I don't mean assembled in US, but MADE here.??
As this thread was about engines I won't ask about models.

Josey Wales 02-10-2008 06:13 PM

This is gonna be interesting

Jake Ruddy 02-10-2008 06:35 PM

Personally I would be happy if every non believer would leave this thread alone and let it remain for what it is.

It would be far easier to have a nice long thread with all related info that existed rather than seeing 3 new posts a day about a "new" engine. This would be a good place to track performance, durability, price, and longevity if you ask me.

mmattockx 02-10-2008 09:28 PM

Edited to suit the discussion...

If you have firsthand experience with a new engine (made where ever), it's performance, reliability, modifications, service, etc. then by all means post it. Keep the rest of it to yourself or find a different forum to express those views. The rest of us want to talk engines, nothing more.

Mark

captinjohn 02-10-2008 09:36 PM

I second that motion! Capt,n;)

buck1856 02-10-2008 09:44 PM

I agree,its called a recycle bin,mines on the top left corner of my foreign made PC moniter.This thread might make it to page 5 but i doubt it.I like reading all the specs and reports made by people about these engines or any engines.It gives me a base or foundation to make good judgments.I only own a A&M sachs 3.2,GT-80,German made King sachs,and my own conversion engines.But in the future i might want something else and i appreciate peoples time they put into posting and testing there engines,whomever makes them.I dont post much but hope this thread lasts a little longer than others.

blw 02-10-2008 10:16 PM

ORIGINAL: Jake Ruddy

Personally I would be happy if every non believer would leave this thread alone and let it remain for what it is.

It would be far easier to have a nice long thread with all related info that existed rather than seeing 3 new posts a day about a "new" engine. This would be a good place to track performance, durability, price, and longevity if you ask me.

Jake, you hit the nail on the head. This has the potential of being a good thread for those interested in Chinese gas engines. Looking at all of the current threads that everyone can tap into, there is not need to turn this one into a flame war. Can we keep this friendly like the original poster, and other members want?

Before anyone thinks that this is over moderation or censorship, please read again what I wrote above.

tkg 02-10-2008 10:40 PM

As part of our make run service I recived a few Chinese clunkers, so far only one expired during running. The rest could be made to run OK with some understanding and the right tools.
Sofar I would have to say SPE's, just OK and a little down on power, but light. CRRC (and its twins) lots of potental but much "tuning" is needed. The DZY's are fair and well made, but not as good as the orginal. The DL50 seems to be at the top of the heap.
Don't ask about the expired one, it has removed its self from the market[&:]
FWIW I also had a Sachs engine eat its self last week so it happens to any engine sooner or later.
OF course your opinions may differ.

Checklst 02-10-2008 10:53 PM

I only have 3 tanks through My 40cc SPE................runs great so far,will get RPM numbers next outing..............after a brief tune she starts on the first or second flip (cold)..........I put my finger over the stack and choke her wet, five or 6 prop turns, turn on ignition and away she go's.........have not used the manual choke yet.

So far so good[8D]

soarrich 02-10-2008 11:09 PM

DL 50 great.
LS Pro 100cc twin runs and starts well, a little down on power, probability good for scale.
LS Pro 50cc twin, I love it smooth, I think powerful, reliable.
LS Pro 50cc single, too many problems, I got mine to run very well, a little down on power, 22x8 6300 rpm, then the mounting lugs broke, not a keeper.
MT62 just got it, seems to have very good power, very easy starting, carb mounting block is soft so take care torquing the carb down. Ralph makes a replacement block.
MT50 I just got it, 6850 with a 22A, after 24oz through it it idled at 1100, I could get it lower, but I set it at 1350 for flying so no point in doing that.

freeonthree 02-10-2008 11:42 PM

My friend Greg had the same problem with an SV50, but he decided that the stands were not tight at the firewall properly, and thats what caused the mounting ears to break off the case. He dissassembled the engine and took it to a friend who is fabricating and welding on some heavy duty mounts. The mounts on the SV50 single are identical to the SV26 from where were sittin. We feel they need to be beefier on the 50 single.

rcdude7 02-11-2008 01:45 AM

ORIGINAL: tkg

The DZY's are fair and well made, but not as good as the orginal.
Do you mean the YM?

I have a dzy 48cc twin (my only chinese gasser), what makes it not as good as the original?

Mike

focusjohn55 02-11-2008 02:46 AM

OK guys...lets not forget this is a hobby something for us all to escape from our at times... dreary lives..
i myself have been flying for over 40 yrs and i still learn something new every day, to me personaly
my experiance with chinese engines have been GOOD i got all mine on ebay all deliverd with in a week
to ireland...flew my thor 45 cc yesterday for hours without a problem .
so please LIGHTEN UP.

driesbabe 02-11-2008 04:46 AM

RCGF 26cc very good, 18X6 Menz 7900RPM +- 3 gallons

RCGF 45cc Very good, 21X8 Menz 7400RPM +- 15 gallons

RCGF 50cc Very Very good 22X10 Menz 7000RPM +- 1 gallon

RCGF 65cc Very good, 24X8 Menz 7300RPM +- 30 gallons

RCGF 100cc twin Very good 28X8 Menz 6800RPM +- 2 gallons

6800 foot ASL, fuel is 93 octane most engines run Klotz 30/1

RC Extreme power 02-11-2008 07:49 AM

Area 51 51CC sold by www.rcextremepower.com
Ran right out of the box 7050 rpm with Vess 22-A
After 1/2 gallon fuel 7350 rpm Vess 22-A (Need to change to 23-A)
After one gallon no problems and getting stronger
Will tack later with 23-A

Out of box video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7hn80t3UQ8

First flight video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlI_C5XxDKs

Jake Ruddy 02-11-2008 09:36 AM

Why don't you just say sold by me? Aren't you bending the rules abit.. it's not suppose to be a sales thread. Much like the other thread that has a similar topic.. all of the sudden it's a sales thread for Area 51 engines :eek:

NM2K 02-11-2008 09:40 AM

ORIGINAL: Jake Ruddy

---------------

No harm in doing so, but I wouldn't expect to reap the results from a Chinese made engine as I would from a Western made engine. The Chinese run off a run or two, dissolve the company to escape warranty obligations and those engines are orphans after a short while. That's okay because of the low original price, but one needs to adjust ones expectations when coming from the Western business model. I'm not saying anything bad about the Chinese at all. They just do things differently.

Ed Cregger

tkg 02-11-2008 10:20 AM

ORIGINAL: rcdude7

ORIGINAL: tkg
The DZY's are fair and well made, but not as good as the orginal.
Do you mean the YM?
I have a dzy 48cc twin (my only chinese gasser), what makes it not as good as the original?
Mike
No the YW (Korean) the DZY has a cast crankcase the YW was cnc machined. The DZY has the motor mount cast into the rear case where the YW had a removable/replaceable motor mount. The YW has a little better reed setup.
Like I said the DZY engine is pretty good, just not as good as the orginal