RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/)
-   -   What to put a gasoline motor on my Extra 300 1.60 airplane. NEED HELP!! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/7942927-what-put-gasoline-motor-my-extra-300-1-60-airplane-need-help.html)

flyboy232 09-11-2008 08:22 AM

What to put a gasoline motor on my Extra 300 1.60 airplane. NEED HELP!!

1 Attachment(s)
I what to put a gasoline motor on my Extra 300 Gene Soucy 1.60 size airplane 74 inch wingspane, but don't know what to get. Can anyone help?

fancman 09-11-2008 08:59 AM

RE: What to put a gasoline motor on my Extra 300 1.60 airplane. NEED HELP!!

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&P=SM&I=LXTGF1

This should work.

krproton 09-11-2008 09:02 AM

Please be more specific.

Which plane is it? What size (span, area, weight)?

arobatx 09-11-2008 09:06 AM

The manufacturer will probably support anything up through a 43cc or so. On Great Planes 1.60 aircraft, people are using mostly 40-50cc engines, with popular choices being the DA50, DL50, Brillelli engines in this range...etc. Some, like myself have even ventured into the lightened and modified 60cc engine. The DL50 is probably the best value, and has proven to be quite the keeper of an engine, with excellent support from Bob at DLUSA. There are plenty of newcomers in the 50cc market now, with some showing signs of being good engines as well, so you've got quite a good selection to choose from.

Chad

tomyrcmodels 09-11-2008 09:18 AM

any gas engine that total weight (including muffler ,standoffs and ignition box) around 3.7lb are ok I think, better go to 50CC engine . great power with no extra weight .

BaldEagel 09-11-2008 10:08 AM

Four considerations:

1. What size prop can the UC accomadate i.e. is it tall enough for a 22" dia prop which is what a 50cc is going to need unless you go three blade.

2. What sort of firewall does the plane have is it flat and wide enough to accomadate the stand offs.

3. What total weight is it all going to come out at once installed.

4. What wing area and hence loading are you going to end up with.

All needs thinking about before you make up your mind on the engine of choice, the MVVS's below 40cc have a normal glow type engine mounting, but start to get a little heavy for their displacement, the MVVS 45 has a magnezium crank case and is very light comparitivly.

The DL and DA 50 are about the same weight as each other with all the gear on board, but in my opinion may overstress the airframe and pull the front off due to the excess vibration you get with any single cylinder petrol engine of this displacement.

So take you time and look at all the possibilities, but don't take the weight issues for granted, even the so called indipendant engine weight comparison document doing the rounds on RCU is very biased towards DA where the weight is concerned, do your own research and then keep it too yourself or you will be vilifield by those who dissagree. LOL.

Mike

Piston 09-11-2008 11:02 AM

Baldeagle puts forth some excellent points. Overall, installing a 50cc in your pride and joy is overkill x 10. (this is an extra point that I am adding in addition to Baldeagles ;).

For regular non 3D, "you just want to have some fun.. A 26cc will respond nicely in the bird. For some real "hold onto your sticks performance" that includes 3D and stuff you would never do otherwise, consider a [link=http://www.zrcgf.com/store/Details.cfm?ProdID=28&category=0]45cc engine[/link].

The [link=http://www.zrcgf.com/store/Details.cfm?ProdID=28&category=0]45cc engine[/link] size will provide all the craziness you will need or desire in your Extra. It will also fit better into the cowl area, and it will NOT hang out underneath as much as the larger size engines would. Looks matter too!!

Another concern with using a larger size cc engine that many guys don't figure upon until the guts are installed, is the prop clearance. You gotta has some of that, especially for those less than TOC type landings we all strive to do.[X(]

The whole purpose of using larger size engines in these types of planes (aerobatic and highly maneuvourable ) is NOT for speed per se, it's for the power needed to get INTO and OUT OF maneuvers that require the horsepower to PULL the plane when the airflow over the wings is not there.

Best ta all!

Henry

krproton 09-11-2008 12:31 PM

I have a 27% Great Planes Extra 330S ARF and a 27% GP Edge 540 ARF - both powered by DL 50 engines. They both fly extremely well with this engine, but at 1088 squares on the Edge I feel I'm probably a little bit near the "outside of the envelope" for this plane with a 50cc gas engine. I haven't broken in the engine yet (on the Edge), so I haven't really "cranked and banked" it yet, but I will be careful when it comes time.

Therefore, about the possibility of using a 50cc engine in the "Soucy," it is simply too small for an engine that size. I don't know enough about the gas market to have a good recommendation for what gas engine you SHOULD use (Fuji 43 EI MAYBE, Fuji 34 EI probably better???), but I definitely WOULD NOT put a 50cc engine in that plane. [sm=regular_smile.gif]

pe reivers 09-12-2008 10:28 AM

The new 40cc MVVS would be an excellent choice. turning a 20x8 to 22x8 props

GeraldRosebery 09-12-2008 12:24 PM

Definitely NOT a 50 cc engine. Overkill supreme on a 74" model. The SPE 26 would be a great match. It is very very light for its size and cheap too. I would recommend the 3W 28 but it's way too heavy and very expensive now.

Gerry Rosebery

krproton 09-12-2008 12:29 PM

I would have concerns about turning a 20" dia. propeller on the "Soucey." 22" I'm certain would be a problem. You have to think about static ground clearance, let alone a bouncy landing. 22" dia. props on the GP Performance Series planes (which are larger than the "Soucey" ) are already cutting it a little close on ground clearance - IMHO.

arobatx 09-12-2008 12:42 PM

Oh yeah, now that the original post has been edited with the model....man, I wouldn't consider the the bigger of the engines mentioned here. I don't know the manufacturer, but along with the span, do you have the wing area? Most of the 40-50+cc class gassers mentioned here are suited pretty well to something with around 1400 sq inches of wing area, and and AUW of 14-16lbs.

If you can keep it under 11 lbs, peferably under 10....and assuming it has 1000 sq inches, or close, a lightweight and good performing 26cc or something close would be ok, but this is a tough size/weight of plane to power with gas, without negating the ease of use, with sacrifice due to power to weight ratio, especially if you are considering extreme aerobatics. If general sport flying is all you are looking for, you'll be fine with a 26cc.

flyboy232 09-12-2008 12:48 PM

Sounds like I got some choices. I'm thinking about 26 to 34 gas engines. I'm thinking Evolution 26,cause it got plenty of power,and is light weight. What you think about that?

arobatx 09-12-2008 12:57 PM

Sounds like you are thinking in the right ballpark....watch the wing loading and you should be good to go.