RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/)
-   -   Any thoughts on Amsoil 2 stroke oil? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/8960502-any-thoughts-amsoil-2-stroke-oil.html)

crashland 73 07-24-2009 12:14 PM

Any thoughts on Amsoil 2 stroke oil?

I am thinking of using Amsoil Interceptor or any other Amsoil 2 stroke oil for my gasser. I have had good results with it in my truck and mower but wanted to find someone who uses or has had used it. I prefer someone that actually used or uses instead of hearsay. Please dont take offense. I just want to know directly. I thought I read somewhere on RCU about 7yrs ago where someone was using it either on gasser buggy or plane. I caint remember though.

BarracudaHockey 07-24-2009 12:19 PM

RE: Any thoughts on Amsoil 2 stroke oil?

I used it at 100:1 in my Brillelli but I switched to Royal Purple motorcycle racing oil and the engine is cleaner inside and it seemed to pickup some RPMS after 3 or 4 tanks as well.

I was using the Amsoil Sabre

tschuy 07-24-2009 12:24 PM

I use Amsoil synthetic premixed at a ratio of 80 to 1 on my Fuji 64 without an issue. Even though the oil said it could protect the engine with a ratio of 100 to 1, I was a little reluctant to do so. My Fuji ran like a top, no problems with overheat or too much carbon build-up beyond the norm.

I hadn't tried other oils as of yet, because I'm happy with what I'm using now...

Cheers,

Ed 07-24-2009 01:03 PM

" I use Amsoil synthetic premixed at a ratio of 80 to 1 on my Fuji 64 without an issue. Even though the oil said it could protect the engine with a ratio of 100 to 1 "

Ditto ! I also use the Amsoil Saber at 80:1 in all of my 5 gassers. No issues ! :D

Ed 07-24-2009 01:05 PM

ooops ! :eek: ........ Sorry, double post. :(

MetallicaJunkie 07-24-2009 02:09 PM

I used to use do the whole routine.... Breakin with Lawn Boy 32:1 then switch to Amsoil 80:1....Not anymore, i switched over to Pennzoil air cooled . Its what the Ultralite pilots use in their Rotax aircooled engines.

JoeAirPort 07-24-2009 02:15 PM

Me too. Bought one quart of Saber and used about a forth of it. Now it's Pennzoil air-cooled 32:1 break in and after.

crashland 73 07-24-2009 02:20 PM

where do you get the air cooled at? I have penzoil multi purpose 2 stroke

soarrich 07-24-2009 02:52 PM

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...s/pennzoil.php

crashland 73 07-24-2009 02:55 PM

oh ok. well, i would think what i have will work as good then. that stuff is for air or water cooled. so mine should do the trick.

yarom 07-24-2009 03:12 PM

I have been using Amsoil Saber and Amsoil Dominator without issues for years.

Note that when mixing an oil defined as a 100:1 mix at 80:1, performance might suffer. Same goes for the 50:1.

ORIGINAL: crashland 73

I am thinking of using Amsoil Interceptor or any other Amsoil 2 stroke oil for my gasser. I have had good results with it in my truck and mower but wanted to find someone who uses or has had used it. I prefer someone that actually used or uses instead of hearsay. Please dont take offense. I just want to know directly. I thought I read somewhere on RCU about 7yrs ago where someone was using it either on gasser buggy or plane. I caint remember though.

krproton 07-24-2009 03:48 PM

I have two DL 50s. Both engines performing flawlessly (in 27% Edge and Extra). Broke both in on Lawnboy 32:1 two gallons, then switched to Amsoil Saber. Like others, was reluctant to go all the way to 100:1, so started at like 60:1, but now running 80:1. Both engines running perfectly in all regards (starting, idling, acceleration, power, reliability, whatever). But will be switching to 100:1 because the experienced pilots I listen to suggest I do so. Some of the other guys I work with also swear by Amsoil Saber 100:1 in their DAs too.

I still consider my self rather a "newbie" to gas, but I'm sticking with the pros do which has been working so far.

MetallicaJunkie 07-24-2009 05:47 PM

Incase anyone is interested.... i bought a case of Amsoil this past February '09, the date stamped on the box is 1-18-09 that means it is fresh . Its up for sale 9- 8 ounce bottles for 45 shipped

crashland 73 07-24-2009 05:54 PM

actually i just became a dealer of that stuff, thats why I was asking before I started using it. thanks for the offer though.

msayewich 07-24-2009 06:21 PM

I use the Amsoil Saber 100:1 Premix oil. it premium stuff.

octanehuffer 07-24-2009 08:50 PM

I WAS using Saber 100:1. After 100 hours, I had to replace the bearings and connecting rod. I also had a ton of carbon build up. I cleaned out the cannister twice a year. Dominator at 50:1, will not burn completly and will leave a residue and slime all over the plane. I tried it for 5 gallons. Our engines just dont get hot enough to use Dominator.
I have since switched to Stihl Ultra HP 50:1 and just tore the engine down. Clean as a whistle and no carbon. NONE! I will only use 50:1 from now on. The brands dont make much of a difference at the 50:1 ratio except Amsoil. Yuk.
Use Motul, Penzoil, Stihl, Royal Purple, Bel Ray and you will be fine.

CHRISTANEAGLE 07-24-2009 08:53 PM

After what happened to me I will never use amsoil 100:1 again. I may use amsoil but 32:1 only. Check out my post on (low compression). Just not enough oil at 100:1 after Jody at VVRC rebuilt my engine I switched to pennzoil 32:1.

Rcpilot 07-24-2009 09:27 PM

Check my post #13 in this thread:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_89...tm.htm#8958918

Thats my friends DA100 after several hundred gallons of Amsoil at 80:1

The engine was low on compression. Spool up was slow. The rings were both stuck. Plenty of HARD black carbon build up on the pistons and in the combustion chamber.

We cleaned the ring grooves slightly and installed new rings. Put it back together and broke the rings in with 2 gallons of Husqvarna oil at 32:1.

The jury is still out on weather or not it will help the engine. It's coming alive and spool up is quicker now. It'll probably be run on Red Line or Penzoil at 50:1 from now on.

octanehuffer 07-24-2009 09:28 PM

Keep in mind that Amsoil still leaves Carbon behind.

LanceLKs 07-24-2009 09:36 PM

Some engine manufacturers specifically say not to use amsoil in their engines.

octanehuffer 07-24-2009 10:04 PM

I was actually in Superior Wi. last weekend and drove by Amsoil Inc. I also had the bad connecting rod in the cupholder in my car. Thought about throwing it through their front window. Never again in a 2 cycle engine.

crazyjoseph 07-24-2009 10:45 PM

100 to 1 may be ok for cylinder and rings but I dont think its enough to keep those bearings lubed

crashland 73 07-24-2009 11:03 PM

Several hundred gallons and he is complaining?? Im sorry but thats not bad to get that much out of an engine. Its not the oils fault on that engine. As far as the others go, it sounds like I am going to stick with Penzoil.

ORIGINAL: Rcpilot

Check my post #13 in this thread:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_89...tm.htm#8958918

Thats my friends DA100 after several hundred gallons of Amsoil at 80:1

The engine was low on compression. Spool up was slow. The rings were both stuck. Plenty of HARD black carbon build up on the pistons and in the combustion chamber.

We cleaned the ring grooves slightly and installed new rings. Put it back together and broke the rings in with 2 gallons of Husqvarna oil at 32:1.

The jury is still out on weather or not it will help the engine. It's coming alive and spool up is quicker now. It'll probably be run on Red Line or Penzoil at 50:1 from now on.

MetallicaJunkie 07-25-2009 01:22 AM

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemID=537027 if you like amsoil

Extra Aviator 07-25-2009 01:22 AM

As a seasoned proffessional engine builder and designer, I wouldnt use Pennzoil anything in any engine. And i wouldn't run 100:1 in any two stroke engine either. I like all my engines from my street cars to my race cars to my lawn mowers and my full scale and RC planes too much to subject them to that kind of abuse. Liquid ball bearings my arse! You might as well buy the cheapest stuff you can find, it will work as good as pennzoil!!!!! Everyone should learn on thier own for themselves, because that's the only way most people will actually learn anything, but im just sayin.