RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/)
-   -   GAS Fuel Can (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/8985356-gas-fuel-can.html)

tailskid 08-03-2009 12:28 AM

GAS Fuel Can

I'll try again on this forum....any recommendations for an electric powered pump/ fuel can for gas burners? How about the whole shoot'n match?

jedijody 08-03-2009 01:13 AM

RE: GAS Fuel Can

http://www.aero-works.net/store/detail.aspx?ID=321

bps 08-03-2009 05:56 AM

I use a 1 gallon fuel plastic fuel can ($3.00) and a Dubro gas fuel pump of the had crank variety ($11.00). I purchased the Dubro fuel can fittings and assembled the componets on the fuel can. I have to crank it but that goes quickly and I only have about $20.00 invested. I know you asked about electric, just wanted to chime in with a mechanical version. Good luck.:D

aussiesteve 08-03-2009 06:46 AM

[link]http://www.jerseymodeler.com/id26.html[/link]

rajul 08-03-2009 09:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Made my own ;)

yarom 08-03-2009 09:36 AM

I made two of them:

One with the SIG pump (leaky junk) - $19, project box $9.95, switch $2.50, old battery $0.

One with the proper Greylor pump - $55, project box $9.95, switch $2.50, old battery $0.

Considering the very high cost of these ready-made ones, it was way too easy and cheap to build.

http://www.greylor.com/productline_pq1224.htm - you want the 12V depron pump.

krayzc-RCU 08-03-2009 05:18 PM

BPS u hit the nail on the head my friend. I have also made one that I pump air into them and let that set up pump the gas into the plane.....

rangerfredbob 08-03-2009 08:28 PM

I got a metal 1 gallon gas can from a garage sale for free, bent a swept 90 in a piece of brass tubing, punched a hole in the bottom side of the can and soldered it in against the bottom and with the outside end pointing up... snatched the nylon strap from a boat battery box from work (it was going to be trashed), a $10 gas or glow manual fuel pump from ebay, strapped the pump to the top side of the tank above the soldered tube and ran nylon tube (cheaper than tygon and works since it's not going to move). For the tank vent I soldered a slightly larger tube than what I had used before that fits outside the other size into the top of the tank, a piece of the smaller tube is used in the end of the pump outlet hose and pluggs into this tube when not being used.

same thing I did for my glow tank, cheap and easy

friend of mine did the same thing with a "Missile Mist" can for the "nifty" factor, I'm thinking of doing one with a WD40 can from work to replace the traxxas can I have my glow fuel in...

Scota4570 08-03-2009 10:16 PM

I use may outboard motor gas can. The primer bulb fills the tank real fast. Crude but effective!

dirtybird 08-04-2009 12:11 PM

To all of you that make your own:
Gasoline is a highly volatile liquid (much more than alcohol) and brushed electric pumps produce a spark.
You may just be setting yourself up for disaster.

w8ye 08-04-2009 12:28 PM

Theres no way I would use an electric pump mounted on a gas can.

flatspinjim 08-04-2009 01:41 PM

Mines made by Armstrong! :D

w8ye 08-04-2009 02:04 PM

I was thinking mine was a Dubro? But if it is they don't make it any more.

It is a 1 gallon red plastic can like from the discount store with a outboard boat motor squeeze bulb adapted to tygon tubing. The outlet fill tube plugs into the gas can vent hole when not in use.

I've had it a few years and it has always been fine.

ChopperMike 08-05-2009 07:52 AM

Gasoline is a highly volatile liquid (much more than alcohol) and brushed electric pumps produce a spark.
You may just be setting yourself up for disaster.

Theres no way I would use an electric pump mounted on a gas can.
I agree 100% which is why I am using a hand crank pump on my first gasser. All of 20 seconds to fill my 20 ounce tank. No big.

Mike

thevirginian 08-05-2009 10:01 AM

I can't believe there are electric pumps for gasoline on the market [X(]. What a risk. You'd be safer smoking a cigarette while pumping gas than using one of these potential "molotov cocktails" for fuelling. Now don't tell me the pumps are "spark proof". They might be when new, but what about the connections to the battery?

krayzc-RCU 08-05-2009 08:36 PM

:D

2robinhood 08-05-2009 10:32 PM

I made my own.
Red can is gasoline, yellow can is smoke fluid.
12v powerd.

http://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/atta...2&d=1238051939

http://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/atta...3&d=1238051939

http://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/atta...4&d=1238051939

ChopperMike 08-06-2009 07:56 AM

Now don't tell me the pumps are "spark proof". They might be when new, but what about the connections to the battery?
I hear ya. They may be made differently than the average glow fuel electric pump, but every electric pump I ever used for my glow engines failed eventually and usually leaked, usually leaking into the motor!. Unless the motor is brushless and hermetically sealed and somehow isolated from the pump I'd never use one. Plus, unless your filling a half gallon tank, the hand crank types take very little time to fuel.

Mike

nonstoprc 08-06-2009 08:17 AM

I found that there is always some gas smell from the gas can inside the SUV during the trip to the field. I then put the can inside a cooler. This reduces the smell a little bit but not completely.

Anybody has a better solution?

I do not have a trailer. The plane and the gas can are transported inside the SUV.

thevirginian 08-06-2009 11:54 AM

If you use e-pumps, meant for glow fuel and use them for gasoline you are asking for trouble. If I see a guy at the field who uses an electric fuel pump for his gasser I stay clear of him-way clear[X(]. Gasoline is very volatile . I already witnessed an accident once where a guy burned half to death just for handling a small gas can. Electricity and gasoline don't mix, period.

ChopperMike 08-06-2009 12:32 PM

I do not have a trailer. The plane and the gas can are transported inside the SUV.
I don't either, my plane and gas can are hauled in my Toyota Sienna. I have never noticed much if any odor in the vehicle. I asked the question months ago when I decided to build a gasser about hauling gas planes inside a vehicle and the opinion was it's no big deal. That's been my experience so far. I even considered using camp fuel for that very reason but I realize now it's completely unnecessary

The key is I think is making sure there aren't any gas drips inside the vehicle. I take care to no spill any gas down the side of the can or on the plane. Even a few drops of gas will make it smell strong inside the car. I even left my plane and gas can in my vehicle overnight because I planned to go out first thing in the morning and barely noticed anything.

Mike

Jezmo 08-06-2009 09:10 PM

In all reality there is NO difference in the level of difficulty lighting alcohol vs gasoline with an electric spark. Think spark plug. The same plug that lights off gas will light off alky. I've been flying RC just shy of 40 yrs. and control line for almost 45. In that time I've never seen an electric pump used on gas ignite. I have witnessed an electric pump ignite glow fuel (alky) and the young kid was severely burned. That's only one time in 40 yrs so I guess it's a risk that some choose to take. I use a manual pump for both my gassers and glows but that's just because I'm too dang lazy to charge the batteries to run the pump, not because of fear of fire. I figure I've got a better chance of getting whacked by some idiot talking on a cell phone while driving. Just my two cents.

rangerfredbob 08-06-2009 10:21 PM

electric fuel pumps have been used on cars for nearly 30 years without issues, most of which are IN the fuel tank with mere spade connectors giving them power. That being said, only gas vapor ignites and it has to be the right ratio of it and air...

I've heard of people wheeling and busting a fuel line and having raw fuel leaking on the exhaust of a running vehicle... didn't ignite...

nonstoprc 08-06-2009 10:27 PM

I found the smell is more noticeable if the plane and the gas can are in the vehicle for a couple of hours and the ambient temperature is quite high (over 90 degree in Texas summer).

Normally I close the choke plate, plug the vent line, minimize the throttle, and place the gas can inside the cooler. Seems that is not enough to prevent the odor from coming out. Lately, I found the cooler does not seal that well and applied some paint's tape. It helped a little bit but does not fix the problem. Is there some container that is air-tight and holds a gas can?

Scota4570 08-06-2009 11:46 PM

Gas stink? Run Coleman fuel.