RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/)
-   -   DLE 55 performance/reliability ? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/9297451-dle-55-performance-reliability.html)

gauravag 12-02-2009 11:21 AM

DLE 55 performance/reliability ?

Hello everyone,
I was thinking of getting a DLE 55 engine for my Yak 50 CC airplane.
Some people told me that this is not a good engine and had troubles with ignition/running, and want to know if this is true or not. The price is good for me, but i just need to know the quality/reliability of this engine before i commit.
Thanks !
Gaurav

JOHNS3D 12-02-2009 11:33 AM

RE: DLE 55 performance/reliability ?

just spend a litte more time here reading the DLE55 thread and you will find your answer, For me the one good, cheap and realiability engine out there......some guys that was married with DA on my field are using DLE cause they were so tired to get dead sticks and replace their 2k airplanes like 3 times. After they installed the DLE55 no problems at all. Those how tell you that i think never own a DL.

skillet92 12-02-2009 12:21 PM

I have a DL50 that is a beast. I have it well broke in and it is a powerhouse. I fly also with DA and 3W guys and they while not praising the DL at least say how good it runs. I don't get my big plane out every weekend, and sometimes go a month or 2 before I get to fly her. BUT IT IS THE SAME EVERYTIME. Choke flip 3-4 times until it pops unchoke and flip 3-4 times until it starts!!!!! Sweet engine at great price.

Tired Old Man 12-02-2009 12:29 PM

Nothing wrong with the ignitions at all. At worst the timing might be set incorrectly and all that's required is to loosen 2 screws and adjust to correct it. Just shows how litttle people understand with gassers.

The 55 itself is a beast. A very good engine at a nice price.

flatspinjim 12-02-2009 05:26 PM

I've seen way more problems with 3W ignitions than the DLE's.

SportFlyer3 12-02-2009 09:51 PM

Well I am enjoying my DLE55 so far...Getting 7440 rpm on the ground with a Vess 23A but only have a little over a gallon through it...

Nice running engine!!!

JoeAirPort 12-02-2009 10:55 PM

I think they are extremely reliable and quality is great. I love mine. Have about 10 gallons through it already. Not a single problem, nada.

kenhiraihnl 12-02-2009 11:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
my flying buddy maidened his reactor1.60 w/ dle-55 today...the engine/plane combo was flawless...my reactor1.60 will have a da50r, as soon as i get off my butt and finish my aw yak54 90/120 w/ mld-28...his reactor flew so good, maybe i should bump the build of my reactor ahead of the yak...ken

gauravag 12-03-2009 12:11 AM

Thanks everyone. I guess i will go in for a DLE 55. Hopefully it will turn out to be good for me.
Thanks of all again for sharing your views !
-Gaurav

flatspinjim 12-03-2009 12:13 AM

You'll enjoy it! There are a slew of them at my field and I've never seen anyone with any problems.

SportFlyer3 12-03-2009 11:20 AM

That Reactor looks great!!! And I do agree I'm having a blast with mine, also with DLE 55 for power...

kenhiraihnl 12-03-2009 12:30 PM

ORIGINAL: SportFlyer3

That Reactor looks great!!! And I do agree I'm having a blast with mine, also with DLE 55 for power...
he's using a coupla unusual items in his setup: new align hi-torque sx's, jtec p-51 pitts, 42% ign setup (no ign bat)...engine has slight "clank" at tdc, but no big concern...ken

SportFlyer3 12-03-2009 01:02 PM

Ok I was wondering about the pitts muffler...so it's a JTec P-51...I'm just running the standard muffler on mine...

kenhiraihnl 12-03-2009 02:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: SportFlyer3

Ok I was wondering about the pitts muffler...so it's a JTec P-51...I'm just running the standard muffler on mine...
his jtec leaves about 1/2" space to cowl, and simple trim in back to get the 3:1 outlet/inlet...otoh, my tbm side-dump will require cowl surgery...sorry for getting off-topic...i'm outa here...ken

georgee 12-03-2009 03:06 PM

ORIGINAL: gauravag

Hello everyone,
I was thinking of getting a DLE 55 engine for my Yak 50 CC airplane.
Some people told me that this is not a good engine and had troubles with ignition/running, and want to know if this is true or not. The price is good for me, but i just need to know the quality/reliability of this engine before i commit.
Thanks !
Gaurav
Hey gauravag,

I"ve had 2 Dl50 and 2 DLE55 so far and the 3rd is on the way from China.All I can say these are absolutely the best value for your money.Very strong,reliable engines.I found my gas engine with this brand.

Cheers

wyo69cowboy 12-03-2009 04:28 PM

I had the DL55 on my Reactor too, using the Jtec P51 Pitts. Unfortunately lost it on the third flight due to my stupidity in not checking batteries. Just got notice from Jody at Valley View that my motor was repaired. Will be putting it back in another Reactor. Only had about 1/2 gallon thru mine, but tached it just before that third flight, and was getting 7400rpm on a Xoar 22x8. Strong runner!

JOHNS3D 12-03-2009 04:53 PM

yep i feel safe when you have some company like Valley View RC which can look gas engines anytime, any brand and get them back, reapaired, and running strong, all this thanks to Jody. Hes service and support is amazing.

captinjohn 06-05-2011 07:36 AM

The 55 must be a good engine....still making em!

aandere 03-06-2012 10:38 PM

<div>
</div><div>Hi guys,</div><div>
</div><div>I been operating a DEL 55 which worked fine for a while (probably about 10 - 12 flights) but I have seen problems with ignition and reliability lately. It has stopped a couple of times on the air. I have closed both H and I carburetor vales because it was running a bit rich and moved the timing and it is running smooth like never before but I has stopped again in the air. I'm not sure if the ignition if working fine. I'm using a 6 V 2,400 mA battery.</div><div>
</div><div>Please let me know any thoughts.</div><div>
</div><div>Thanks,...Alan</div>

kmeyers 03-07-2012 03:59 AM

aandere should have some pics of cowl. First thing that hits my mind is overheating. Air in, air out, air over engine and tuning(lean?).

Second is Chinnese CM6 spark plug?

Next is why are you running a 6V battery for ignition? 4.8 for ignition is better! (and lighter)

I'm sorry but with one post only, did you just crawl out from under a rock? ( ha ha )

Have you read the Newbee to gas sticky?

You and "Lucy, have some ssplainen to do".

jcoop65 03-11-2012 06:18 AM

I fly next to a small lake and mine has been in the water twice, Not the best thing for it, removed the plug and cleared the water and she ran fine.

aandere 03-12-2012 09:06 AM

Kmeyers, Thanks for your input.

I have bought this airplane with everything on it and it had a 7.4 V battery on the ignition with a regulator. That battery was not charging good enough and I replaced it with a 6 V and eliminate the regulator.The plug is japanese. The cowl has sufficient air flow for cooling. I will check and make sure the gas mix is not lean.
By the way, I have been around for 25 years but new on RC universe block.

AAndere
<br type="_moz" />

Capt Cash 03-12-2012 12:08 PM

Irun two DLE55's on 30%3D type planesand couldn't be a bithappier with their performance so far. About 150 flights between them both now and never even as much as hiccup.

4.8v NiMhIgn batteries which safely give me 6 flights or so, SmartFly Kill switchs, and CM6 plugs.

BarracudaHockey 03-12-2012 12:48 PM

ORIGINAL: aandere

Kmeyers, Thanks for your input.

I have bought this airplane with everything on it and it had a 7.4 V battery on the ignition with a regulator. That battery was not charging good enough and I replaced it with a 6 V and eliminate the regulator. The plug is japanese. The cowl has sufficient air flow for cooling. I will check and make sure the gas mix is not lean.
By the way, I have been around for 25 years but new on RC universe block.

AAndere
<br type=''_moz'' />
If you're going to run that on a 5 cell pack, I'd run a diode to drop down the voltage, or better yet, put a 4 cell pack on the ignition.
Just my $.02

Jezmo 03-12-2012 02:34 PM

I'm with Andy on the 4 cell pack or diode but it may be too late. The damage may already be done as they don't like anything over 6 volts and a fully charged 5 cell pack is going to be in the neighborhood of 7.2 volts for a few minutes after charging. It really depends on how soon after it is pulled off the charger as to what the voltage will look like but it will be higher than 6. If it is damaged the RCexl ignitions are very inexpensive at around $55. Just make sure to get the one with a CM6 type plug wire.