Community
Search
Notices
General Racing Discussion Open discussion about racing and racing related topics

WHat makes this sport attractive?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 08:52 AM
MFLOOD3800
My Feedback: (51)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default WHat makes this sport attractive?

I was thinking about all we do and the joy we have in flying and racing and the costs we invest. Id like to ask the question and hear your answers please.

- What is it that makes what we do special?
IS IT THE PLANES
IS IT THE PEOPLE

I know some will answer BOTH. I agree, but aside from that is it the developement of new technology, equipment or the age old relationship process refined thru hanging out with friends old and new.?

What keeps you interested in this hobby?
PEOPLE OR PLANES?
Old 12-23-2011, 09:30 AM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: WHat makes this sport attractive?

personal challenge - there seems to always be room for improving one's performance.

That, and the people. Face it, Q500's aren't really all that inspiring, they look like boxes with hershey bars for wings, and they all tend to look alike. Q40 is a little better, a little more variety and they look more like real airplanes. Some of my best friends are folks I've met at the races, however.

Old 12-23-2011, 10:44 AM
MFLOOD3800

Agreed Fizzwater2, people for me. I have friends from all over the country now I never wouldve met. I also like your assesment of the "Personal Challenge". I agree the quickies are not "scale" looking at all. I own 3 of them and love racing them however. I love racing the Warbirds the unlimited Giant Scale and now the new Q40. More opportunities to meet new people. It was the planes that opened the door.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:14 AM
djlyon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like racing. When I first tried it and was on the course and racing around ourselves, the first time two of us went by 2 and 3 wing to wing it was instant addiction.

When I was in control line I raced Rat, Goodyear and FAI TR. I don't remember them having the rush Pylon does.

Denis
Old 12-23-2011, 11:51 AM
BarryReade
My Feedback: (1)

The old saying "Like minded people tend to associate with Like minded people".

So having said that and tracing my personal RC Pylon Racing career back to the start in the early 1970's it's "The People" first, the camaraderie and the competition next, after that what is there?
Old 12-23-2011, 03:58 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm like Denis. I like to race and go fast, plain and simple.

However, I have survived in this hobby mainly from the great people I have met.
Old 12-24-2011, 05:01 AM
jaka

Hi!
I like dueling! Simple as that!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20654.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	1704399  
Old 12-24-2011, 02:07 PM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

ORIGINAL: MFLOOD3800

I was thinking about all we do and the joy we have in flying and racing and the costs we invest. Id like to ask the question and hear your answers please.

- What is it that makes what we do special?

Are you taking our pylon racing emotional temperature? Sounds like you need a big hug.

Kurt
Old 01-09-2012, 09:29 PM
Iron Dog

For me, scale racing offers the most "complete package" of any form of competition I've encountered:
    [*]The Power . . . Not many wouldn't be impressed with the beautiful, powerful lines of a scale warbird (as compared to some of the other planes that many of you have previously commented on) . . . so "yes" the planes are a big part of it.[*]The Power (yeah, I'll say it again!). . .The sounds of those powerful YS engines reving , especially when two or more of them sync up will get me pretty psyched; and belching out smoke (I'm channelingApocolypse Now. . ."I LOVE the smell of [Nitro] in the morning!"[*]If you are a speed junkie, there's plenty to had. Bronze if you want to ease into it and feel comfortable; Silver and Gold will push your skills.[*]The level of competition[*]And the people are incredible. Now that we are in the off-season, I find I miss the people and quality of comraderie most of all (and all the good-natured ribbing and even the "smack-talk", too). I have truly come to love my time with those who have begun to regularly attend our races here in Sacramento. I can't wait to hang out with them when the season begins again in April; look forward to those I have yet to meet & welcome them to our fold; and to begin visiting others in events outside of Sacramento this season, in order to meet and build bonds with still more "like-minded people."[/list]And, Kurt, I think he's just having withdrawals. What Marty really needs is another race! (Me too!)

Ollie

Old 01-10-2012, 08:02 AM
luv to race

The "K" factor of flying around 3 poles, versus sport flying in front of myself... plus the speed.. If I wasn't racing Q500, Q40, or FAI.. I'd be racing some sort of Kart or Legend car!

Randy Bridge
Old 01-10-2012, 11:24 AM
D.E.

It is the people... I have been around racing all of my life. I was almost born in the pits at Lyons dragway, went Indy racing with Scott Brayton as my first job out of high school and am helping a buddy of mines kid in Legend cars now (Randy get your wallet out if you think toy airplane racing is expensive) but through all of it the people are all the same. All of my great friends came from racing with more to come I am sure.

D.E.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:26 PM
MFLOOD3800

Yes the people..... Flying is flying, I enjoy it, but if I flew everyday by myself Id get bored. Racing is better than just joy riding, I feel because it brings the complexity of competition and friendships.

Count your planes : How many are sport and and how many are competitive of some nature?
I have around 20 planes and 3 of them are used for sport, although each one could be used for IMAAC, or 3D.

I realized I buy what puts me around people who are like me and love to race!!
Old 01-10-2012, 05:50 PM
vicman

If I wasn't racing Q500, Q40, or FAI.. I'd be racing some sort of Kart or Legend car!
Been there done that got the shirts, hats, and championships. I have a ton more fun with model airplanes and the people are a thousand times better.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:33 AM
luv to race

Yea I raced 125CC Rotax Karts for a few years not long ago. It was certainly not same the friendly environment I've found in Pylon racing model planes. So I agree with all you guys, the people and ever lasting friendships that come out of it is superb.. When I look back 30 years ago, dad and I used to fly pattern.. and we had the same type of fun with the guys we hung around with. Good fun for sure.

RB
Old 01-11-2012, 09:35 AM
SSAN

It's about the all around competition. RC Pylon racing is a technical sport and for one to really enjoy it and stay in it a long tine take a person with a very competitive and technical nature. Those that come and go are the one in it just for a short fun time and later move on to something else. You'll see!

Good friendship can come from all sort of different sports and not just Pylon racing. Fast planes and good friendship comes alone with the environment and will be the same with any sports in general. What keeps me going is the COMPETITION and with good, like-minded friendship I've made along the way. The people you meet and good friendship you made are a gift and will last a life time, but without the added technical competition, I will probably find something else competitive to do.

Good competition what really drives me, and fast planes and friendship what keeps me going.

Compete With Pride and Lose With Dignity.
This is the way of the SAM-RAI
Old 01-11-2012, 10:30 AM
Randy Etken

I like it for the groupies; the girls that hang around and show up are unbelievable!!!!
Old 01-11-2012, 10:56 AM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

I think I need to come to your races..
Old 01-11-2012, 12:06 PM
BarryReade

Me Too!!
Old 01-11-2012, 12:31 PM
tsawyer148
My Feedback: (8)

Yeah, me too. I think the closest thing we get is when MFLOOD3800 shows up in shorts. Although, he does have nice legs and a cute hind end.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:37 PM
MFLOOD3800

I knew it I knew it Ray said to watch out for you Bert!!
Here is Bert looking at my behind

Lol
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88726.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	1712805  
Old 01-11-2012, 12:43 PM
tsawyer148
My Feedback: (8)

LOL.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:43 PM
diggs_74

ORIGINAL: Randy Etken

I like it for the groupies; the girls that hang around and show up are unbelievable!!!!
Yep, nothing like these Scandinavian pylon groupies, hairy legs and all..
Old 01-12-2012, 10:44 AM
daven

Yep, shes a real nice guy...
Old 01-12-2012, 11:59 AM
still4given

I race for a few reasons.

First, I enjoy the challenge of putting together the equipment necessary to be competitive. Even once I have a plane that is, I am always looking for something else that might be worthy and interesting.

I love the overall format in Warbird racing. Love the scale planes, the variety of power options and especially the folks who do it. They are always coming up with something I haven't seen before. Just Great!

I also enjoy the intimacy of club racing. Always fun to get together with the locals with some like planes and battle it out on a 2 pole, 400' course. Pure fun there!

Yeah, if I wasn't racing I probably wouldn't even be in RC right now. It definitely keep me going.

Blessings, Terry
Old 01-16-2012, 07:09 PM
MFLOOD3800

I agree if it wasnt for racing I would be less interested in Rc. I like flying, I love racing. The adreneline, the competition, the challenges, the self improvement part, and every now and then you sit back and watch someone with unbelievable skills do what you wish you could. Its like an olympian performing for the gold. Hey why isnt rc pylon racing an olympic event? They have rowing COME ON MAN!!!!!!!