Community
Search
Notices
General Racing Discussion Open discussion about racing and racing related topics

How about Quickie 200 (Electric)

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 09:24 AM
Ted Boz
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How about Quickie 200 (Electric)

In the late 70's and early 80's, 1/2 A pylon racing was pretty popular. Even though it became an AMA event it appears that it has pretty much gone by the wayside. I have gone back and reviewed some of the many FUN things that this "recreational" racing accomplished. First it was relaltively inexpensive. You didn't need a 3/4 ton pick-em-up truck and trailer to haul your planes out to the flying field. You didn't have to have Q-40 piloting skills and most importantly it was usually a club event that a majority could participate in.... and again, it was FUN! Seems like many clubs have let "FUN" slip away. Anyhow I've spent the last 4 months redesigning an old 1/2A plane into what I call a "E-Quickie 200". The original was featured in RCM way back and it was also kitted as the Half-A-Stik. I have also written, or re-written, from the AMA event, some draft rules as a starting point. I am not in the kit mfg. business nor do I intend to. Plans and all information is available on my website: www.theolddog.net dba Ted's Aerodrome. Let's get back to FUN-FLYING-FRIENDS.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:42 PM
mikegordon10

Default RE: How about Quickie 200 (Electric)

Check out our site. This is exactly what we are doing. Super fast flying 200 sq in electrics. Along with another class of 300 sq in .15 size glow.

http://sites.google.com/site/cuprapylons/home
Old 04-28-2012, 08:38 PM
Ted Boz

Mike - This isn't quite like your program. This plane is not super fast nor was it intended to be. The whole idea was to involve everyone in an event as long as they had some flying skills. You have to start somewhere. By restricting the design parameters and limiting the power source I think I've attained the goal that I anticipated. This is also very inexpensive for the average modeler.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:59 AM
D.E.

Hey Pops!

Ted Boz is the one that got me started in this money losing adventure..... and worth every cent! He had a hobby shop and started our local club longer ago than I want to talk about I used to race the 1/2 A pylon stuff back then trying to figure out how to cheat with those little TD 051s lots of fun for sure!

Dave E.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:01 AM
mikegordon10

Well before we did the fast electrics we had a program that used the GWS foam Warbirds. We flew this class separate but on the same days as our 1/2A glows (which were then approaching the 100 mph mark) These GWS Warbirds went along for a couple of years but in the end it was felt that they were just too slow and people started to became bored.
The GWS speeds were right around 55 mph. Now using the same propulsion systems in an either composite or wood airframe we were able to get the speed levels up to around the same as the 1/2A glow and have advanced from that to the 110 mph we see today. Also the new airframes were able to take a beating and not break. The foam GWS's were just too fragile and broke easily. Our 300 sq in glow class evolved when it became hard to purchase the Norvel, GZ and other hot 1/2A's.
The 300 sq in class run Magnum or ASP 15's and has top speeds around 95 mph and are a lot easier to fly than the 200 inch models cause they're bigger and easier to see and smother to control.
You can adjust the power requirements any way you want but the people who are able to go faster WILL. They always find a way to do so. It's just the nature of racing. We have a lot of fun doing this and we have had a program going back to the Cox days and forward to the hot electrics and Glow for more than 15 years so we must be doing something right.
Sounds to me like your wanting to sell your kits.
On CUPRA's web site there are pdf plans for one of my designs called the Veepia ST. They're free to download and you just get ya some wood and start cutting. There are also a couple of racers selling composite airframes for $100 and $150 that are ready for equipment to be installed in.
What ever you do have fun and don't make any rules that your not willing to enforce. It's better to have fewer rules that ARE enforced than just having rules for the sake of typing that no one will enforce.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:04 PM
Ted Boz

Hey D.E. We did have fun and I'm glad I had a hand in you getting in and staying with the hobby. With Zac headed to college next year I'm getting some vibes that Tim is going to be looking for something to do again. Stay in touch.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:20 PM
Ted Boz

Mike - I've damn near done it all over my model airplane career including "the fast ones". If someone ones to go faster, then they can take their big bucks and go buy the fancy composite fuse and bagged wing's, etc., etc.
I'm trying to promote someting for those that are not interesting in going "super fast" but still want to compete. When or if they get to the point that they want to go faster, then they can step up into your league. BTW I don't "kit" this plane nor do I intend to. That was a cheap shot. The plans are available at a nominal charge. There isn't a great profit as I make them available at NO charge to any club or individual with a genuine desire to participate.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:40 PM
D.E.

Yea Pops, Tim can have an airplane any time he wants. I have planes, motors and radios it would be fun to get the Engaboz team going again! Who knows if this F5D thing works and I fly a couple of times everyday we could go to Austria in 2014 for the champs.... a guy could dream cant he?

DE
Old 04-29-2012, 08:18 PM
mikegordon10

Sorry you took it wrong. Kind of a sensitive little thing ain't ya. I was just trying to help. Sorry
Old 04-30-2012, 01:38 PM
Ted Boz

Apology Accepted