Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > General Racing Discussion
Reload this Page >

New site, seeking new pilots -- eastern Colorado, 5/24/14

Community
Search
Notices
General Racing Discussion Open discussion about racing and racing related topics

New site, seeking new pilots -- eastern Colorado, 5/24/14

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 12:10 PM
DHG
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New site, seeking new pilots -- eastern Colorado, 5/24/14

COME RACE WITH US ON THE COLORADO PLAINS -- Saturday, May 24, 2014

Once upon a time, a small group of diehard racing pilots built a field just for racing at a municipal field called Aurora Airpark in Aurora, Colo. The full-scale operations had to close when Denver International Airport opened, so it was ideal for model use. We kept the pylons set up 24/7 and nobody yelled at us for flying around ourselves.

This was great but there were so few of us, and it had cost so much to pave the runway, somebody joked that we should call ourselves the Elite. This was definitely not true, but it sounded a lot better than calling ourselves the "Outcasts," "Misfits," "Smelly Incorrigibles," "Fiscal Illiterates," or other more accurate terms. Besides, none of us know how to play the guitar. So "Airpark Elite" was born.

Fast-forward 10 years. The Airpark site is gone but the Elite ("Slow Learners"?) have built another runway. This one is 600' x 30' of high-quality Petro-Mat, located in the wide-open spaces east of Denver. 30 miles east, to be exact. But it's well worth the drive.

To entice new membership and help pay for the Petro-Mat, we're inviting ALL current and curious racing pilots to fly with us on May 24, 2014. Please see the attached flyer for details and directions to the site.

Note, this is an unsanctioned event. We will try, but can't promise, to have a full crew of judges for regulation AMA & NMPRA racing. We do promise to have a regulation course set up, plenty of experienced pilots to coach & advise newcomers, and the BIGGEST uninterrupted flyover area you've seen this side of Edwards Dry Lake. Please join us!

Cheers,
DHG (Duane Gall)
Attached Files
Old 05-22-2014, 01:32 PM
DHG
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Event POSTPONED due to weather

OK, sorry, but the field got smacked with 18 inches of hail yesterday and we're predicted to get more of the same today and Saturday.

The good news is that the Petro-Mat survived just fine, & will be ready to use again once we sweep off all the silt and wheat chaff. The bad news is that it won't be in shape for the contest, so we must postpone until a date to be determined. I'll let you know.

Thx,

Duane
Old 08-26-2014, 05:18 PM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Video of the race on Aug. 23:

http://youtu.be/IXh-lUcX8Pw?list=UUsJleYoEQUPWhTrXpcoKTMw
Old 08-27-2014, 01:29 PM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Nice video, Kurt - hope you guys continue to grow racing in your area! Don't forget to come play in KC and Wichita yet this fall, too..
Old 08-27-2014, 04:57 PM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good video, but where did you promote the race?
Old 08-27-2014, 05:50 PM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

It was more of a test run for the club at the new field, considering we haven't had a race in 4 or 5 years, we relocated (closer to you), couldn't remember how to hook up the lights, weren't quite sure which way we turned, forgot how to do a matrix, and couldn't remember if we raised the flag or dropped it for launch, and not to mention how to refuel a bladder tank. The 2015 races will be promoted, but that will be up to the promotional/marketing board.

Kurt