Notices
General Racing Discussion Open discussion about racing and racing related topics

What contact glue to use?

Old 04-25-2018, 08:57 AM
skylane42
My Feedback: (53)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What contact glue to use?

I am building an old Stafford P-51. The foam core wings did not come with a shuck so I will attempt to sheet them by hand. But, what I will need is a good, spreadable contact glue to adhere the balsa skin to the foam for a good instant bond. What are you using for sheeting foam wings in the contact department? I have heard NO 30 is great but I do not want to buy $40 worth. I also heard that the 3M 77 formula has changed making it not compatible with foam. Any idea`s would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Bill
Old 04-25-2018, 10:05 AM
GREG DOE

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Bill, You may get several responses. Apparently 3M77 now has a solvent that will dissolve foam. It wasn't that way originally. I have been told though that you can special order "foam safe" 3M77. What most everyone uses today is laminating epoxy, but that might be difficult if you don't have the shucks. Although you might could vacuum bag it, but that has it's drawbacks if you don't have a system, or know someone who does? I sometimes use a foam safe spray adhesive that is sold under the Tree House Studio brand label for school, and scrap booking.I get it at the Hobby Lobby craft store. There used to be some brush on contact glues in the hobby, but I haven't seen them in years. What ever you end up with, be sure to do a test on some scrap foam, and let it "stew" for an hour or so. Good luck, Greg
Old 04-28-2018, 07:56 AM
skylane42
My Feedback: (53)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greg, Bought some to the Tree House contact glue. Did a small test and looks like it will work well. Thanks for the help.
Old 04-28-2018, 01:44 PM
GREG DOE

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Skylane42. As Paul Harvey would say "Now for the rest of the story". If you saw the post on the Tips & Techniques thread it was suggested that you use epoxy, and vacuum bag it, but that might not be an option? In the 70's and 80's 3M77 was the recommended glue for many kit manufacturers like Stafford, and Prather. There were other contact glues as well, some of which were heavy. A lot of us discovered that spray contact glue had it's drawbacks, and gradually switched to epoxy, and used everything from magazines to cinder blocks to weight the wings down, while the glue cured. This works great if you have the shucks, which you don't. Then we discovered the magic of vacuum bagging, and never looked back. Just the fact that vacuum bagging allows you to re-position, where contact gives you one chance to get it right, was a big plus. Those of us who were (occasionally) luck enough to have airplanes last several years, found that 3M77 d-laminated. Even when we were still using 3M77 we learned to always use fresh product, because it seemed to degrade over time. Today I looked at Staples Office Supply, and they had 3M Supper77 spray glue which is NOT foam safe, they had another 3M spray glue that can be re-positioned, also not foam safe. Earlier this week I dug out my can of Tree House contact spray to mount sand paper on sanding sticks, and it didn't work well at all! I think it has deteriorated. Right now I am in need a usable spray contact glue for a school project, and I don't want anything that isn't foam safe in my workshop, so I went to Hobby Lobby, and bought a fresh can of Tree House. My first recommendation would be for you to use epoxy, and vacuum bag. If that's not possible use the spray contact glue, but put a purchase date on the can, and in the future always run a test before you use it on something that would be difficult to replace. Good luck.