Notices
General Racing Discussion Open discussion about racing and racing related topics

Would like to try racing....

Old 01-16-2006, 11:21 AM
cdub50

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would like to try racing....

What ARF, or Kit would your recommend for first entry into racing?
Old 01-16-2006, 11:59 AM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Would like to try racing....

Great Planes Viper and a sport anything (.25 - .46). I would check with others in your area that are doing some racing, I know they are running some Q500 races in South Carolina using the TT .40. If you are planning on buying an engine, I would go that route. Its pretty much the universal "starting" racing engine in the states.
Old 01-16-2006, 01:28 PM
smokingwreckage

cdub50 wrote: "What ARF, or Kit would your recommend for first entry into racing?"

That depends on what your local racers are racing. Many clubs have their own events, some based on AMA pylon classes, some not. I suggest that you contact every local club within a reasonable driving distance and ask what they race.

As you find out what's going on, ask yourself these questions:

How far am I willing to drive to race? If you have to drive 10 hours each way to race, you won't do much racing.

How much can I afford to spend to become competitive? Anything from stock-motored Pico Sticks to giant gas models are raced in organized competitions. Prices can range anywhere from $150 to $10,000 per plane.

How much maintenance and tuning am I willing to do. Stock sport engines are pretty much crank and go. Exotic race engines take a lot of time to keep running at their peak, and if they aren't peak, they aren't competitive.

If you can find the class being run near your home, AMA Competition Event #424, Sport Quickie, is designed as an entry level class of pylon racing. As far as I know, the only engine allowed is the Thunder Tiger Pro .40. Even the prop is regulated, either supplied by the race sponsor, or defined in the event rules.

You may design and build your own Sport Quickee race plane as defined in the AMA regulations, http://www.modelaircraft.org/comp/05...k/rc-pylon.pdf , build your own from a Lanier Dominator 500 kit, or buy a Great Planes Viper or Lanier Predator ARF. There are other plans, kits, and ARFS out their that fit the rules, but nobody I know uses them. Sport Quickie is intended to be a relatively low cost event intended to place the emphasis on piloting. Also, when you are ready to move up to a faster class, all you have to do is bolt on a racing engine and you have an Event #428 Quickee 500 plane.
Old 01-16-2006, 05:45 PM
TIA

Are all the pylon race planes set up as non-throttled or are there some classes of racing where you do actually use throttle?

Sorry for the dumb question but I am curious.
Old 01-16-2006, 05:49 PM
splatt

After I'm done passing everyone, I'll cut back the throttle and cruise..... Just kidding.

No when you race the saying is go fast and turn left, no use for 1/2 throttle in racing.

we will cut the thottle back before launch when runnig big props on hot days, but that is a function of fuel mixture more than engine speed
Old 01-16-2006, 05:49 PM
Duane-RCU
My Feedback: (5)

Hey Smokin', I see you are from around here, if you want to come race with us, here are some details.. http://www.strcc.org/strcc_001.htm
and some pics... http://racingrookies.tripod.com/
We are thinking of allowing regular Stiks to compete too, since the B&H Rookies are getting hard to find.
Old 01-16-2006, 11:07 PM
smokingwreckage

What's with tripod? Click one link and get 3 pop-ups. [&o]

Nice looking racers at your club site. Thanks for the offer, but I don't own a Rookie .40 or a stik. I'm not really into 1-design airframe races. I like to design and build SPADs that fly somewhat like sport planes rather than combat planes. I'm a newcomer to RC and SPADs bounce so much better than balsa. My designs aren't really competitive with balsa, but I have lots of fun flying them. I do have a .40 FP needing a good home. [sm=idea.gif] I think I could do a reasonable fascimile of a Rookie 40 pretty easy. Maybe I should drive down and check out the next race? Maybe take some measurements of your Rookie 40s? Ya'll wouldn't be skeered of a little ol' SPAD, would you?

When's your next race date?

Old 01-16-2006, 11:23 PM
smokingwreckage

Hey, Duane, I finally figured out who you are. I tried to find you guys this spring when I decided to get into RC. I did find your old field over by the race tracks. It's all cheap steel rental warehouses by now, I'm sure.

The new field looks like a good location, lots of open sky with not too much nearby to run in to. As long as the neighbors don't complain about the noise you'll be good to go for many years. I think you are close to an hour drive from me, maybe more in traffic. Worth the trip for a little pylon action.
Old 01-16-2006, 11:27 PM
smokingwreckage

Reno, not a dumb question at all. Sport classes are required to have throttle. All classes except maybe 1/2A are required to have some method of shutting off the engine from the transmitter. Not sure aout 1.2A. All classes except 1/2A have rise-of-ground starts. Our club requires a sgort period of idle on the ground before the start, so a throttle is required.
Old 01-17-2006, 11:26 AM
mikegordon10

Our 1/2 A Pylon program requires that a pilot is able to shut his engine down at will. This is easily accomplished with the use of a fixed fuel pickup in the tank. To shut down the engine we just roll inverted and wait about 30 seconds or so and the engine dies due to lack of fuel. We require this so that after a heat is over we don't have to wait to get the next heat in the air. On a Race Saturday we start at or about 10, run everyone (12 to 20 racers) through 6 - 4 plane heats and are usually shipping the bull and stuffing our faces at "Wendys" by 1.