RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   General Racing Discussion (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/general-racing-discussion-140/)
-   -   Is it possible to fix Nelson Muffler (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/general-racing-discussion-140/10340668-possible-fix-nelson-muffler.html)

oddy 02-16-2011 11:35 AM

Is it possible to fix Nelson Muffler

Hi

I have several nelson mufflers broken from the ear where screws hold.

I have tried to sold them with aluminum and making the hole again without any success, the soldering is not strong enough and mufflers keep coming out specialy from the screw at the back.

Is there any way to try fixing these mufflers or is it a lost case.

Kind regards.
Victor.

Bill Vargas 02-16-2011 12:06 PM

RE: Is it possible to fix Nelson Muffler

its a lost cause[&o]

BV

BarryReade 02-16-2011 12:50 PM

For most folks Bill is correct. 

But, if you have access to someone with a TIG welder they can build up the broken area with weld and then machine it  back to specification it will work fine.  To just take it down to a weld shop would be quite expensive but, if you took all of them at the same time and you did your own post welding machine work it shouldn't be to bad.

still4given 02-16-2011 07:54 PM

Funny, I have been contemplating that very thing. I wondered if you can tig weld on that cast aluminum. It's not so much about cost now that you can't buy replacement ultratrust mufflers.

Thanks

vicman 02-16-2011 08:15 PM

With a good sand blast prior to welding Barry is right. I've done it a few times.

BobHH 02-16-2011 10:46 PM

("Funny, I have been contemplating that very thing. I wondered if you can tig weld on that cast aluminum. It's not so much about cost now that you can't buy replacement ultratrust mufflers.")

If you read Mike Langlois thread/post on the N-40 going back into production line 7 states: (7. In the future we will be offering Ultra thrust mufflers. ) So the Ultra thrust mufflers will be in production again.

Bob Harris

still4given 02-16-2011 11:09 PM

ORIGINAL: BobHH

(''Funny, I have been contemplating that very thing. I wondered if you can tig weld on that cast aluminum. It's not so much about cost now that you can't buy replacement ultratrust mufflers.'')

If you read Mike Langlois thread/post on the N-40 going back into production line 7 states: (7. In the future we will be offering Ultra thrust mufflers. ) So the Ultra thrust mufflers will be in production again.

Bob Harris

That's good news but it says future. You can't buy them now nor get them repaired so this welding ideal might just work. Also, they may not be offering SS mufflers since they only plan to make LS engines.

BarryReade 02-17-2011 03:12 AM

ORIGINAL: vicman

With a good sand blast prior to welding Barry is right. I've done it a few times.
Thanks Vic for reminding folks that with welding, especially TIG, that the metal prep is paramont to having a decent weld that doesn't fall apart. Especially oil. There are special washes and preps but brake clean and good old soap and water with a good rinse due well and there are other special washes that can be used but, cost is a factor.

vicman 02-17-2011 06:59 PM

If you sand blast it make sure to clean everything good with soap and water when you are done. Don't want to suck any nasty back into the engine.

I have welded several TT mufflers and MVVS header pipe connectors in the past.

oddy 02-18-2011 09:51 AM

Thanks everyone.....I´ll be taking them to TIG welding and trying this sunday.

Thanks a lot for very useful tips.

Victor.

BarryReade 02-18-2011 11:16 AM

Por Nada. that is what the forums are for to help each other.