Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Composite-Arf 33% Gee Bee R2 - First Flight - Pics - Videos - L@@K >

Composite-Arf 33% Gee Bee R2 - First Flight - Pics - Videos - L@@K

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Composite-Arf 33% Gee Bee R2 - First Flight - Pics - Videos - L@@K

Old 04-25-2008, 02:17 AM
PTS
My Feedback: (153)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Composite-Arf 33% Gee Bee R2 - First Flight - Pics - Videos - L@@K

I assume you left the seams alone when you painted the plane?
Old 04-26-2008, 06:17 PM
dwr
My Feedback: (1)

Hello to all, I decided to join this crazy party. Was at top gun thursday and ordered one. As PTS said, he got the last one in inventory. There are two in transit to the US with an ETA of May 10th. Was told I should see mine on about the 15th. So there is still one available today. I have a 36% Extra that I don't fly much so I am going to put all the gear from that into the Gee Bee. The Extra has a strong 100 3W in it .

Dirty that is one awesome machine you have. What a great paint job.

Does anyone know where to find a 1/3 scale dummy radial engine? So far I have not found one

Was at Fantacy of Flight the day befor Top Gun so got some pictures of the Delmar Benjamin Gee Bee. The Z was sitting right next to it. The Z has also been flown by the museum owner Kermit Weeks.

This thread should be fun. lots of Gee Bees being built. DWR
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh17083.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	937577   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg15677.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	937578   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty64925.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	937579  
Old 04-26-2008, 06:35 PM
dwr

Richardgee, please post the pics of the fuel tank platform setup. Any pics of construction mods will help us all. DWR.
Old 04-26-2008, 06:56 PM

dwr
Thanks, I appreciate that.
I just received a 12" dummy radial from Bob Dively Models. It is OK at best but with a little work I think it will be nice.
I think your 100 will fly it fine. Most of the time I fly my Gee Bee at 2/3 throttle. The plane has much better flying characteristics at this setting. Full throttle is for low passes only.
I have 36 flights on it and am now relaxed enough to have some fun.
Old 04-27-2008, 06:29 PM
dwr

DD, thanks for the info on the dummy engine. I saw no pictures on their web site. What is the weight and material used? Can pushrod tubes be added without much trouble? I Installed the dummy engine in the GP GB I had (sold it after a ton of flights) and it looked pretty good so I want to do something like that.

About the 100 3W, It should be a good match. It really makes the 36% Extra haul butt on straight and level at full throttle and the Extra weighs 34 pounds. When the 28/10 prop unloads it really howls. The GB should be even faster with a shorter wing span and thinner airfoil.

I'm wondering what engine you are using and what the all up weight is? I am planning to stick everything I can against the backside of the firewall to reduce any ballast needed. What was your experience in working out the CG?

last question, I noticed you had the spinner on for the video. What a great video. The GB looked very stable. Did you find that the spinner was not the issue regarding control? DWR.
Old 04-27-2008, 07:41 PM

DWR,
The dummy radial is the same as the GP just very poor quality. You could use pushrod tubes easily.
I have the DA 150 and the plane weighs 33.5 lbs. I put everything I could on the inside firewall & The cg came out right on the button. So if you use the proper tail wheel set up you should be ok.
As far as the spinner goes, I had to cut it way down to get the plane to fly right. I cut it down from 8 3/4 to 6 1/2.
But the spinner is somewhere in the dense woods. I had the prop and spinner fly off in flight today. Fortunatly I landed the plane safely with damage only to the left wheel pant where the prop struck it upon departure. Not a clue why. As much as I like the looks of that spinner I think I will leave it off, It does fly better without it.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:07 PM
dwr

DD, good job to get it back dead stick in one piece. Not an easy thing to do on a high wingloaded plane. I have seen prop and spinners depart two different times at our field on big gas engines. The six mounting bolts were sheared off in both cases. Most of us thought it was possibly due to the bolts not being tight enough. They will lossen up especially on a fresh wood prop as the wood compresses. Good to check them often.

About spinnersComposite Arf rep Larry Tudor told me he had talked to Solo Prop about making a flat end scale hub for the GB. The Solo props are beautiful but very expensive. I dont know if they would be interested in selling just the hub tho. I'll have to ask larry about that.

Thankx for the info on the wt. and CG. DWR.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:11 PM
My Feedback: (156)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Will do.
Old 04-29-2008, 05:12 PM

Here is my fuel tank tray. Tray is made of light ply. Cross members are reinforced with CF. Entire tray is coated with epoxy.
Fuel tank is DuBro 50 oz. Smoke tank is Sullivan 24 oz. Secured with velcro straps. Notice Hitec 225MG throttle servo mounted at rear of tray behind smoke tank.
Underside of tray holds smoke pump, smoke pump battery and ignition battery. Additional devices may yet be mounted to bottom of tray.
Tray mounts inside fuselage with 6-32 screws and blind nuts.

Name:	Qn38515.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	939901   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa87323.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	939902   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd83421.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	939903  
Old 04-29-2008, 09:54 PM
dwr

Richard, thankx for the pics. That head on shot is great. Talk about wide open spaces. Nice clean job. Noted that you said you are using kirby graphics. I got a quote from him today for $160. for the Benjamin set but have not ordered yet. What do you think of them? Also I wondered what you are using for a tail wheel set up? I would like to come up with something that looks scale including the fairing. If anyone has thoughts on this jump in.

I was checking out the RC Showcase web site today (just dreaming) and saw that they now have a 150cc 5 cyl gas radial. This might be a good match for the CA GB. I would love to see one of the 215's or 250's in action on the GB, Gotta be an absolute rocket! And nothing sounds better. love to see video on that. PTS will video of your set up be possible? DWR.
Old 04-29-2008, 11:24 PM

I have used Dennis Kirby for my last 3 projects and have found his graphics to be top quality. No disappointments.
I have not applied his Gee Bee graphics yet, but expect equally pleasing results.

Like some of the other guys who have posted on this thread, I TOO felt that my DA100 would be PLENTY of power for this aircraft. However, in extensive online conversation, I was convinced that this aircraft NEEDS the nose weight AND that the extra power could serve quite well in getting out of a sticky landing situation in which an immediate go-around becomes necessary.

I can already see that they were 100% correct on the need for nose weight.

I do not see the need to fly this aircraft with my DA150 at even close to full throttle for anything but pure vertical. BUT, it is nice to have the extra power if and when it becomes necessary.

The RCS radials would be a great choice, as far as scale fidelity, but consider::: A DA150 has twice the HP at half the weight of the RCS150.

I have previously built and flown a 25% R2 with a Technopower 9 cyl. radial. While the look and sound was awesome, performance was less than awesome. A good 50cc twin gasser would have easily spanked the performance of the Techno.
Old 04-30-2008, 02:57 PM
My Feedback: (12)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RichardGee, did you sell the TECHNO off your 1/4 scale GeeBee to a guy in Texas? I have a friend with a Techno that got it from a guy that had it on a GeeBee and even had the video coverage of the breakin and some vid of it flying and the rest of the DVD was the Delmar Benjamin repro vid..

Rick
Old 04-30-2008, 03:42 PM
dwr

Richard, thankx for the input on the kirby Graphics. Sounds good. If anyone else is interested in the Delmar Bengamin set let me know and I will ask kirby about multiset deal.

I have to agree with you about having extra power on hand. The more power the greater the ability to pull out of bad situations. There is no such thing as too much power. There are always tradeoffs in balancing scale effect against good flight performance. That is one of the things that makes this sport interesting. DWR
Old 04-30-2008, 04:05 PM

Hey guys,
This is my installation. It puts everything as far foreward as possible and my plane flys no different with an empty tank or a full one so having the tank way up front had no adverse effect.
Jim

Name:	Xv64957.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	940441   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qm36035.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	940442  
Old 04-30-2008, 07:49 PM

I honestly do not recall who I sold the Techno 9 to. It was quite some time ago. I did have video of my Gee Bee flying with the Techno and very likely included it with the engine sale. I don't remember specifically, but your description sounds familiar.

As far as I know at the time, I was the ONLY one who had ever powered a Gee Bee with a Technopower radial. When I began building my R2, there were no kits. I built mine from Henry Haffke plans, heavily modified for scale fidelity and strength. There wasn't even an R2 cowl available (just an R1) so I moulded my own from fiberglass. Once my Gee Bee was framed up, the Byron R2 was released. Both were quarter scale. Mine weighed 18 pounds. The Byron upwards of 25 pounds.

One thing I forgot to mention about my CompARF R2 tank tray is that I designed it to place the centers of both tanks directly over CG (approx. 75mm aft of wing LE). Like 'dirtydingus' I am concerned with neutral handling regardless of smoke or fuel levels.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:00 PM
dwr

DD, I like that setup. Remove the motor dome and you have the whole system in hand with fuel lines and throttle servo in place. That is what I'll need to do to minimize any ballast. It is good news that you found no adverse effect after fuel burn off. I was concerned about that. Where is your CG location with a dry tank? And is it close to the suggested CG? Of course the ideal tank location would be on the CG as Richard has set his up but I will need to locate mine forward. DWR
Old 05-01-2008, 06:29 AM

Dwr,I am interested in a multi set graphic deal from Kirby, if he will do it. I am just now starting acquiring the equipment to build mine, and the graphics was last on my list, but if he will give any price break for multiple sets, I'm in.
Back to the Gee Bee, my landing gear strut travel feels very"notchy"and stiff.When you pull the slider tube out of the outer strut tube, you can see rough tooling grooves in the bore.I plan on finding a way to try it hone it somehow. Also did you guys use the springs that came with the gear or use something else?
Old 05-01-2008, 08:57 AM

I did nothing to my gear except clean and grease them (springs and sliders).
While I have not yet flown the plane, the gear action feels good now.
Be sure to use some sort of strap / retainer to keep sliders from coming out with wheels when gear is suspended, as there is nothing to retain the bottom slider (seems kinda cheap).
I used a couple of tie wraps.

Dirtydingus is correct on his CG assessment... Instructions even stress that forward CG is as bad as aft CG on this aircraft.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:22 PM

DWR,
I have found between 75 and 80 mm To be the best. This is one of those od planes that prefer an aft c/g over a foreward one. I put 4 flights on it this morning at 80 mm and I like this setting, Especially for landings.
My gear was not as smooth action as it could be but after a few hard landings it smoothed itself out
Jeff at Desert Aircraft told me there was a guy at his field who has a Comp Arf Gee Bee with a 100, you might give DA a ring and see if he can put you in contact with him.
Old 05-04-2008, 12:11 PM
dwr

DD, thankx for the info. I will see if I can make contact with the guy using the DA100. DWR
Old 05-04-2008, 12:22 PM
dwr

Well I got the landing gear from CA. Now all I need is an airplane to put it on. I Hate waiting. The gear is built well enough but I thought it needed some tweaking. The axels measured only .230
and were a sloppy fit on the 7" Sullivan wheel hubs. I drilled out the hubs to take a 9/32 brass tube bushing (.250 I.D.) I would have used 1/4 brass tubing but the .230 axels would not fit the I. D. So I replaced the axels with .250 piano wire. This gives a nice fit with very little drag. It does require that all the collars and gear be drilled out to .250.

I also found a lot of binding at the pivot points and smoothed those out so they were free. Before doing this the gear action was stiff and rough.

Also installed automotive fuel tube to reduce travel and dampen rebound. Have done this on robart gears with good results.

Also drilled and tapped for 4-40 screws for a cable to keep the lower gear in place. The aluminum barrel stock is nice and thick so allows this without interfering with the inner strut.

Name:	Nk27827.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	942596   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up48591.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	942597   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm22783.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	942598   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23027.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	942599   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72362.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	942600   Click image for larger version

Name:	Io29200.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	942601  
Old 05-04-2008, 07:02 PM
dwr

If anyone else is interested in the Kirby graphics let me know. Here are a couple pics from the Kirby site of Wayne Parrish's GB.

Name:	Pn37136.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	299.1 KB
ID:	942874   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni22931.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	307.0 KB
ID:	942875  
Old 05-09-2008, 06:38 PM
dwr

Jim, now that you have a bunch of flights logged on your GB can you tell us about how it handles and the details of your takeoff and landing drill? Have you discovered any "dark corners" in the flight envelope? Hope anyone that has flown the CA GB will add comments. Any one making progress on their build? DWR.
Old 05-10-2008, 11:12 AM

Here are few more shots of my Gee Bee progress. Perhaps this will shed a bit of light on my choices for RC placement, etc.
Also, be advised, the scale door hinging can be quite tedious if you want the door to open wide, close and fit properly...

Notice placement of Futabe 401Y Gyro (rudder). Also, mounting of 42% Products voltage regulator and Rx on/off switch (2200 LiPo is on backside) at fuse center.

Name:	Da83438.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	946662   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf14728.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	946663   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu50565.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	946664   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ib82181.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	946665   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ny27597.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	946666  
Old 05-10-2008, 05:17 PM

DWR,

The flight characteristics are nothing like a yak or Extra, as you would expect. At high power settings your left thumb is very busy keeping things coordinated (rudder and throttle both). At the lower power settings (2/3) and below it flys pretty much like a big ugly stick. I think this plane is definitely more user friendly with a smaller motor. DA 100 or the RCS 215. I enjoy fast fly-bys and hi g turns but I have the feeling its going to bite me if I'm not careful. Landings are not that bad. About like a overweight P-51 with no flaps. My buddy put the radar gun on it right at touch-down, 42 to 46 mph. To put that into perspective, my friends 40% Extra touch-down at 20 mph. Our strip is 600' with water at both ends and I need to touch-down right on the numbers. It takes off nice and easy, pave or grass. Just feed the power in slowly! I was most concerned about it flipping over like most Gee Bee's do, but after flight number 60 (this morning) it has never been on it's back. And I've made a few really ugly landings.
If more people by the CA Gee Bee we'll have to set up a gathering. I hope this was of some help. Jim

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.