Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Composite-Arf 33% Gee Bee R2 - First Flight - Pics - Videos - [email protected]@K

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Composite-Arf 33% Gee Bee R2 - First Flight - Pics - Videos - [email protected]@K

Old 12-29-2020, 09:56 AM
5th GeeBee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hannes83 View Post
Why no flights so far Mark? I always thought your airplane is ready to go, what happend?

Hannes
Where do In start. A few months ago I brought the plane to my field for taxi tests and even though I had reinforced the substandard TW assembly, it totally failed. I stupidly set down my tx to grab the tail and bumped up the idle and it taxied away and hit a table, damaging the left wing and right elevator. Stupid mistake on my part. I should have just killed the engine. It took 2 mos. for CARF to send me the wing and elevator. I was about to do the flying wire reliefs on the new wing when I noticed a crack in the "cake frosting" on the bulkhead where the flying wires attach so it had to be re-epoxied.
The good news is that in the meantime, I found an original nib Fults TW assembly. Huge difference in quality. I had to remove the rear bulkhead and mounting blocks to install it because of the difference in the bolt pattern but it came out strong and true. That and being lazy has delayed my maiden. It should be in the air before the end of Jan. (weather permitting). It will look perfect!

Mark
Old 12-29-2020, 10:03 AM
hannes83

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 5th GeeBee View Post
Where do In start. A few months ago I brought the plane to my field for taxi tests and even though I had reinforced the substandard TW assembly, it totally failed. I stupidly set down my tx to grab the tail and bumped up the idle and it taxied away and hit a table, damaging the left wing and right elevator. Stupid mistake on my part. I should have just killed the engine. It took 2 mos. for CARF to send me the wing and elevator. I was about to do the flying wire reliefs on the new wing when I noticed a crack in the "cake frosting" on the bulkhead where the flying wires attach so it had to be re-epoxied.
The good news is that in the meantime, I found an original nib Fults TW assembly. Huge difference in quality. I had to remove the rear bulkhead and mounting blocks to install it because of the difference in the bolt pattern but it came out strong and true. That and being lazy has delayed my maiden. It should be in the air before the end of Jan. (weather permitting). It will look perfect!

Mark
Im sorry Mark!

We are working on a own custom tail wheel unit right now, will be available within the next weeks. Stay tuned!

Hannes
Old 12-29-2020, 11:10 AM
5th GeeBee

Im sorry Mark!

We are working on a own custom tail wheel unit right now, will be available within the next weeks. Stay tuned!

Hannes
Anyone out there building a CARF GB, don't use the included TW assembly! Wait for Hannes version or find the original Fults.
Old 12-29-2020, 11:17 PM
hannes83

Originally Posted by 5th GeeBee View Post
Anyone out there building a CARF GB, don't use the included TW assembly! Wait for Hannes version or find the original Fults.
We use the stock CARF tailwheel over 10 years now, no problem!

We do this custom version for asphalt landings incl. gyro, thats all
Old 12-30-2020, 01:35 AM
hannes83

Our Gee Bee story incl. CARF R2 building thread is available now!
Thank you to Uwe Puchtinger from FMT for the great collaboration.

Order it printed or as an online magazine, KLICK: https://shop.vth.de/fmt_01_2021-0102101/

Old 12-30-2020, 09:04 AM
5th GeeBee

We use the stock CARF tailwheel over 10 years now, no problem!

We do this custom version for asphalt landings incl. gyro, thats all
Maybe the one I received was a one-off. The forks were epoxied into the main pivot. The set screw was threaded into cheap plastic that deformed as soon as I tensioned the pull-pull. I doubt you received the same one I did.
It had a stamped thin sheet metal support that I tried to solder to make it more rigid. You can see what I received on page 76.

Last edited by 5th GeeBee; 12-30-2020 at 09:07 AM.
Old 01-02-2021, 10:17 AM
hannes83

MOKI installation:

Old 01-04-2021, 09:07 AM
hannes83

Step by step, day by day...

Old 01-04-2021, 10:06 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Out of my budget, but that has to be the coolest model airplane, ever!
Old 01-08-2021, 12:35 AM
hannes83

The next one is 95% done, powered by a MOKI 215 :-D

Old 01-08-2021, 09:59 PM
hannes83

Ready for to pick up :-D