Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Matching servos using the Tx

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Matching servos using the Tx

Old 02-16-2011, 11:08 PM
Robert_Ellis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Matching servos using the Tx

This is my 2nd 100cc airplane - my other one had Hitec 7955s on the ailerons (2 per side) so I used the Hitec servo programmer to match them. Piece of cake.

This comp arf 2.6 meter has JR 8411s (2 per aileron). I have a JR 11x radio. I'm new to JR so sorry if this is a dumb question. I'll run the 4 aileron servos on separate channels and use the Tx to match the 2 that are ganged together.

I have them mechanically matched at neutral, but toward the end of the throw each way, they are not identical. My question is what do I adjust in the radio to match them? It looks like "Travel Adjust". Am I right? If I then up the throw in D/R & EXP I assume they will still be matched?
Old 02-17-2011, 04:17 AM
rcairflr
My Feedback: (44)

Default RE: Matching servos using the Tx

I don't have a JR11X radio, so I can't help with that. But the first thing I would check is the the distance from the center of the hinge line to each servo arm. The distance should be the same and should be the same as the length of the servo arm (1-1), a lot of
people think the measurement is taken from the wing skin to the servo arm
Old 02-17-2011, 06:09 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

ORIGINAL: Robert_Ellis

If I then up the throw in D/R & EXP I assume they will still be matched?
I've been "bitten" when I "assume" way too many times in my life so I try to avoid making assumptions and you should as well in this case....

I don't have an 11X either, but word has it that the aileron setup options are the same as my 12X so I'll mention the aileron "balance" function. I've not had to use it since I run Hitec servos and program them so they match up really close anyway. But for situations like yours, the 12X has a balance function specifically designed to match the servos throughout their travels without binding. Essentiall what happens is that there is a master servo on each wing and the second servo is "slaved" to the master with a 7 point curve being able to be used to eliminate binding with the primary.

Check your manual and look for the balance function, if it isn't there then it's not available on the 11X but I've been led to believe it is part of the 11X programming. If it isn't there, you're 'gonna have to match your servos the old fashioned way which is to set 'em up on the bench and look for two which match each other as close as possible for each wing. If there are different end points set in the travels, it will most likely cause an issue with the percentages set for control deflections with the Flight Modes as well as mid travel range binding between the servos. How much can be determined with inline meters used on each pair of servos during setup, it may be minor or something you need to resolve.

JMHO.... [8D]
Old 02-17-2011, 06:31 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

11X has balance for multi servos.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:51 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 175 Likes on 150 Posts

ORIGINAL: rcairflr

I don't have a JR11X radio, so I can't help with that. But the first thing I would check is the the distance from the center of the hinge line to each servo arm. The distance should be the same and should be the same as the length of the servo arm (1-1), a lot of
people think the measurement is taken from the wing skin to the servo arm
This makes no sense, on a Comp ARF the hinge is only about .010 thick so one really can't measure the center. And I'm pretty sure you meant control horn and not servo arm. On all the Comp ARF airplanes I have set up I have measured from the inside wing skin at the hinge line. The horns must be same length from the inside wing skin and preferably have the ball link center directly over the hingeline. Usually this gives you about 2" from hinge to ball link and the use of a 1.5" or even a 1.25" servo arm will give you plenty of throw while maintaining good mechanical avantage.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:23 PM
rcairflr

You are right, I meant center of hinge line to the center of the ball link on the control horn. If this dimension is not the same for both servos setups, your servos will not rotationally travel the same distance and make your setup more difficult.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:14 PM
Robert_Ellis

OK I did a little more research in the manual. Here's the scoop.

Yes on CompArfs the hinge line is the wing top skin. And yes the horn hole is over the hinge line and the same distance to the top skin. Because the wing is thinner at the tips, the outside horn sticks out more from the bottom skin. But the distance to the hinge line (top skin) is matched.

One set of servos matches nearly perfectly, the other 2 do not. So I might as well program them both.

On the 11x, there is a WING TYPE of 4-AILERON 2-left and 2-right so this is what I can going to try, it says you can adjust travel on each servo to match.

Gonna give it a try tonight.

Thanks for the input.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:28 PM
Robert_Ellis

And yes when you enable the 4-Aileron wing type, the Balance function becomes available allowing fine tuning of the servos.

Gotta say, I like my JR 11X better than my old Futaba 12FG
Old 02-18-2011, 03:58 AM
rcairflr

ORIGINAL: Robert_Ellis

OK I did a little more research in the manual. Here's the scoop.

Yes on CompArfs the hinge line is the wing top skin. And yes the horn hole is over the hinge line and the same distance to the top skin. Because the wing is thinner at the tips, the outside horn sticks out more from the bottom skin. But the distance to the hinge line (top skin) is matched.

One set of servos matches nearly perfectly, the other 2 do not. So I might as well program them both.

On the 11x, there is a WING TYPE of 4-AILERON 2-left and 2-right so this is what I can going to try, it says you can adjust travel on each servo to match.

Gonna give it a try tonight.

Thanks for the input.

The hinge line is not the top of the skin, it is the center of the hinge. I don't have my camera right now since the wife has it on a trip with her, so I cannot take a picture to show you what I mean.
But again I will try to explain. The distance from hinge (which should be imbedded in the middle of the wing, not the wing skin) to the center of the ball link should be the same on both servos. So the distance from the
outboard wing skin to the center of the ball link will be greater since the wing thickness is less at that point. By setting up the horn in this manner the inboard and outboard servo arm will rotatioinally travvel the same distance
from neutral to full throw.