Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Back after 5 yrs away

Old 03-01-2011, 10:08 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back after 5 yrs away

Got the itch to fly after retiring. Purchased a used 73'" QQ Yak w/ YS 140. Purchased my servos from servo city, HS-5485 on thro, 2 HS-5665 on Elv, 2 HS-7975 on Ale, 1 HS- 5685 on Rud. I am out of touch as I stated, planning on the new JR 9503 DMX for radio. Unsure on the batteries as they have changed so much, leaning to the A123. Need help on a new charger also, to many choices and a ton ofthreads to get thru and I am still lost.

How does this all look ? Any suggestions?

Old 03-02-2011, 07:03 AM
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
Default RE: Back after 5 yrs away

ORIGINAL: roadkingbill

Got the itch to fly after retiring. Purchased a used 73''' QQ Yak w/ YS 140. Purchased my servos from servo city, HS-5485 on thro, 2 HS-5665 on Elv, 2 HS-7975 on Ale, 1 HS- 5685 on Rud. I am out of touch as I stated, planning on the new JR 9503 DMX for radio. Unsure on the batteries as they have changed so much, leaning to the A123. Need help on a new charger also, to many choices and a ton of threads to get thru and I am still lost.

How does this all look ? Any suggestions?

YS 140 on that model is a LOT.... I've seen it done but it's a horse and on the heavy side for a 73" WS model. Have you run YS before? Great engines but they are not for the faint of heart when it comes to tuning them and they also like lots of nitro. There is a YS support forum here on RCU that may be of assistance if you don't already have experience with those engines. As for the servos, I'm not going to go chase down the specs on those but IIRC my Hitec numbering stuff I think what you've got will be okay.

The X9503 is a nice radio and will do you a good job, but I'd also look at both a Spekrum DX8 as well as a JR 11X before you pull the trigger.

I'm a big fan of A123 batteries and even the couple of glow models I still keep around have A123 packs.

Chargers are a whole 'nuther ball game and each of us has preferences. Mine is for the FMA CellPro line and I have a 4S Multi as well as a 10S. There are so many chargers out there and different price ranges/capabilities, you're just 'gonna have to take any input you see here and do some research. One of the reasons I use CellPro is that they were the first to come out with software for the A123 packs, they use active balancing with a higher amperage and the service/support is local to the USA. They will NOT do a discharge unless you fall off the wagon and go for their newest PL8 charger which is really meant for the guys with big Li-Po's in electric powered models.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:04 AM

Great info, yes I had a YA 140 in my pattern plane, loved it. The charger info is what is throwing me so much info to take in. I picked the 9503 since my last radio was a 9303 ?. Anyway thanks for help.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:12 PM
My Feedback: (44)

I disagree with Zeeb, I think a YS-140 is the perfect glow engine for a 73" wingspan airplane.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:30 PM

I had a 180 in my old GC Extra, it was 72", loved the power. But damm it drank fuel.</p>
Old 03-03-2011, 07:26 AM

The ys140 was sold as an option by QQ with this plane. I had an os 160 on mine, and had to put the battery pack on the engine box in order to balance. If you have to do this, a a123 pack might be a tight squeeze underneath the cowl. I doubt you would have to worry about that though with the ys.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:58 AM
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Nah, just use an 1100 mah A123 on your glow stuff. Two cells and they are just a bit bigger than a AA size cell but there's only two of 'em, the pack weighs only 3 oz. that's what I use on my glow models.

For the OP; if you liked your 9303 (I'm guessing it was an XP) the couple of changes into the X9503 are a nice addition; the lack of a throttle activated timer on my X9303 was always a pain for me since I'm a former Futaba guy and IIRC it also has a backlit screen along with the 50 model memory.

As for the engine; my friend who got me started flying RC models had one of those QQ Yaks and tried several engines on the thing, the BEST one of the three (all YS) was a 120AC....
Old 03-04-2011, 03:42 PM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same plane a few years ago and flew it with the YS140L. The power was perfect. Not over powered by no means, just right.