Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Harris smoke pump powering?

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Harris smoke pump powering?

Old 09-25-2011, 01:55 PM
ceecrb1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harris smoke pump powering?

I have a goldwing/redwing MX2 30cc....
Currently powered by a 2300mAh L¡fe (servos and radio)
The ignition is powered via a 2s2c 2100mAh Lipo with the voltage reduced from a UBEC.
All (6) servos are Power HD DS090M.

Now i'm looking into adding a smoke system, and have stumbled across the harris smoke pump.... i'm leaning towards it as it is small and light.. i'd rather not carry around too much dead weight!
Would I be fine using the RX powered version or better with the externally powered version?
The problem I see is that if I use the externally powered version.. and I use the ignition battery i'll allow noise to re-enter the radio system. (there is an opto-isolating kill switch).
But If I use RX Power there is a danger of emptying everything....... HOwever with RX power I can simply disconnect it from the RX for day to day use, being secure that it does not draw any current.

My intention is really only to use the smoke at events... club days, public exhibitions (which I have started doing this year). etc... where I would generally just be doing one flight and starting from a full charge... My intention is not to use it "every day". (other than when testing, in which case I can take the spare LIFE to the club).
Old 09-25-2011, 05:22 PM
DMcQuinn
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: Harris smoke pump powering?

I run mine from the receiver. it uses so little energy that it doesnt matter.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:46 AM
ceecrb1

Default RE: Harris smoke pump powering?

Just wondering.

Would I be right in thinking that I COULD do this:

add a futaba Y connector, cut the red wire from the connector that comes from the RX.... Then I could add a spare battery to the other free leg of the Y?

In which case I could use a small 2S lipo I have, and it is separated from teh A123's that are powering the servos.

I only ask as there was a very notable slowing of the digital servos when I bench tested with the pump running, not sure I want to risk it!

Like in this photo....

EDIT: just realised I drew the +ve and -ve the wrong way round!! pay more attention to the colors than location!! hahha oops!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87921.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	1674170