Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Reactor / gear ripping out

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Reactor / gear ripping out

Old 01-04-2012, 09:35 PM
RickP
My Feedback: (2)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Reactor / gear ripping out

I fly at a field where the runway is grass and like landing on the top of a sphere. I know the answer is to just land soft, but I hit the early side I rip the gear and gear mount out. I've done this twice and it's usually when my batts die (rimfire 50cc) Plane flies great, I love it, but after I fix it this time I afraid I won't be able to fix it anymore. I thought about putting nylon bolts in to save the hard parts, but I am just curious. Anyone else have this issue and what did you do?
Kind regards,
RickP
Old 01-05-2012, 06:50 AM
phantomdriver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Reactor / gear ripping out

How do your batteries die? On a 50cc frame you should be running independent battery from frame servo's & ignition.
A friend at our field has a DL50 in his reactor and he is running a smartfly sport with (2) batteries for reciever & (1)
for the ignition. Great flying plane. I'd also be concerned about prop strikes and bending crankshaft....
Mike
Old 01-05-2012, 07:52 AM
mighty9
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think he has a brushless motor setup.Simple thing would be to time your flights so you have power for landing
Old 01-05-2012, 09:47 AM
jbarnes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Reactor has terrible landing gear. Its weak and the mounting plate is poorly constructed. What I did was cut out the fuselage directly under the gear plate and put a 1/4" 5ply plate for the landing gear. I then replaced the gear with a replacement set from TNT that was 2" taller and made from 1/4" aluminum. Make a balsa block sanded to shape to replace the fuse section you cut out and you are good to go. I had over 100 flights on mine with zero problems after this fix. Eventually sold it and repalced it with 100cc Yak. The Reactor is probably the best flying 50cc plane I ever owned. Check the Reactor thread here on RCU for more details about this issue and possible fixes. Jerry.