Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

MXSR ailron problem question.

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

MXSR ailron problem question.

Old 03-17-2012, 08:12 AM
popsy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MXSR ailron problem question.

Hello all,

I'll try to explain the best i can...

On my MSXR , when i turn on the radio, then the receiver switch. Everything works fine exept the right servo ( ailron ) I have changed the Y extension, didn't change a thing, then i have changed the servo extension. same problem.

When I unconnect the y extension, then reconnect...everything works fine... turn off receiver switch, then radio... Then if i turn everything on again... right servo ( ailron ) won't operate !!!! there i am back to unplug the Y from servo extension, plug it back and then it works !!! if i turn off everything...next time i turn on, nothing works, i am back to same scenario again and again. ( i have changed the Y twice and the servo extension twice as well )

What is the problem ????

Thank u
Old 03-17-2012, 08:21 AM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: MXSR ailron problem question.

I would take the servo and plug it directly into the receiver using no extensions. If it still fails that way then you have a bad servo. Depending on your radio I would use separate channels for each aileron, the benefits far outweigh using a Y cable but again your radio must support this and most 2.4GHz radios do.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:33 AM
popsy

ORIGINAL: bubbagates

I would take the servo and plug it directly into the receiver using no extensions. If it still fails that way then you have a bad servo. Depending on your radio I would use separate channels for each aileron, the benefits far outweigh using a Y cable but again your radio must support this and most 2.4GHz radios do.

I have the Futaba 7C 2.4....I am allready using ch 2 and 5 for elevators...and ch 6 for kill switch. no room....

TY i will take everything apart again....
Old 03-17-2012, 09:02 AM
popsy

WEIRD VERY WEIRD...

Now that I have pulled everything apart, plugged in the servo directly ( no extension nor Y ) servo works great...not a problem.....

Then, i hooked it up to the servo extension, no problems.......Then hooked up the extension to the Y and plugged it into receiver.... no problems..so far everything is fine....

Then hooked up the left servo, onto the extension... NOW the right servo works fine, but the left servo does not operate!!!!!!!!

Same problem has my first post, but now on the opposite side !!!!!! This is the third Y that i try.....

Can it be a receiver problem ? It is new, never flown it before....

Weird or what ?

Popsy
Old 03-17-2012, 09:11 AM
popsy

I just finished building an extra 330L 50cc. With same setting, on the same radio but different receiver... and i am not having this problem !!!! can it be that this brand new receiver is in fault ???

TY
Old 03-17-2012, 09:29 AM
ameyam

Hold on, Hold on. Though on a smaller airplane, I had the same problem to a lesser extent on my Reactor 46- One of the ailerons would seem to stutter or lag. After going through a dozen or so extensions, I realised there was some basic problem

1) I cut the servo cable exactly in the middle, then got some extension wire and soldered it colorwise between the two parts. This eleminated the extension

2) You should be able to plug in your aileron direct into the RX. Say 1 & 6 are aileron and 2 and 5 elevator, 3 throttle, 4 rudder, then 7 would be optikill. I think you can connect one of the channels parallel with the battery

Ameyam
Old 03-17-2012, 09:35 AM
popsy

ORIGINAL: ameyam

Hold on, Hold on. Though on a smaller airplane, I had the same problem to a lesser extent on my Reactor 46- One of the ailerons would seem to stutter or lag. After going through a dozen or so extensions, I realised there was some basic problem

1) I cut the servo cable exactly in the middle, then got some extension wire and soldered it colorwise between the two parts. This eleminated the extension

2) You should be able to plug in your aileron direct into the RX. Say 1 & 6 are aileron and 2 and 5 elevator, 3 throttle, 4 rudder, then 7 would be optikill. I think you can connect one of the channels parallel with the battery

Ameyam

Ameyan... The R617FS receiver that comes with the 7C 2.4... has 7 slots only. B(7) for battery,1 ail, 2 and 5 for ele, 3 throttle, 4 rudder and 6 for optikill...

I have no option here..
Old 03-17-2012, 10:39 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 151 Likes on 130 Posts

Either get rid of the optical kill or get a 7 ch RX. Even if you did manage to get it to work electrically with a Y you will never be able to get the ailerons completly dialed in.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:42 PM
thepamster

I recommend y'ing the elevators and flapperoning the ailerons. If you are using the elevon function currently for the elevators the extra servo on ailerons may  be confusing the receiver, though I am not sure how. Its worth a try.

The Pamster
AMA 202345

Old 03-18-2012, 03:50 AM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are these normal Y connectors or the reversing Y connectors. If they are the reversing ones, certain servos and receivers do not play nice with them
Old 03-18-2012, 06:14 AM
skip1320

617 rec is fine you have to slave 1and 6 for ail, ch5 for remote kill its simple,done it a hundred times.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:11 PM
greg12345

i had the same problem at the field with my mxsr today. make sure u have a y harness and connect one aileron servo lead YELLOW TO YELLOW and the other one BROWN TO YELLOW(it will be tough to get in)           100% GUARANTEED I HAD THE SAME EXACT PROBLEM WITH THE SAME EXACT PLANE AND I RUN FUTABA
Old 04-02-2012, 02:45 AM
popsy

After checking and testing everything, over and over again.

I did took the servo off the wing, and after testing ( on and off for about 20 times ) it directly into the receiver. It turned out that the servo Spring rc # 4481 was defective.

Took it apart just to have a quick check. It showed that the 3 wires were skinned just after the welded spots on the electronic board. I assume that they were shorting at some points.

I did ordered another of the same from SDS hobby,( redwing are out of stock ) I just didn't want to change all the servos, and I wanted the same all around.

I did checked all of the remaing 4 servos and they are perfect so far...

We'll see how long those will last once the season starts..

Thank you all for your help.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:54 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 248 Likes on 200 Posts

Nix the aileron Y harness.

Y the battery to the throttle servo, use 7 for the kill and mix the ailerons in the transmitter.

2.4 systems don't play well with y's sometimes.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:55 PM
popsy

Unbeleivable....

I have ordered a new servo , I dropped it in. The one i had on was defective, i thought it was my problem......

After putting back everything together again.... same damn problem occurs again... Radio on, switch on everything works perfectly....switch off, radio off.....turning on radion and switch and again one aileron servo doesn't work...........

And i have the EXACT same set-up on my Extra 330 50CC and everything is perfect....

Battery prob, or R617FS prob ??????

Just can't beleive i'll have to take everything apart again.....

Popsy

Old 04-06-2012, 01:06 PM
BarracudaHockey

Still have the Y harness?
Old 04-06-2012, 01:25 PM
popsy

yes i still have the y..... and again i have to say....same set-up on my extra 330 and it works great....so to me the y is not the prob.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:45 PM
speedracerntrixie

ORIGINAL: popsy

yes i still have the y..... and again i have to say....same set-up on my extra 330 and it works great....so to me the y is not the prob.
The Y is the problem! You may be able to get away with it on a different airplane but not for long. Think of the airplane as a room. I think that we will agree that sterio equipment will sound differently in different rooms. We would say that the " acustics " is different. The same thing happens with radio waves. Some airplanes have more or less materials that like to reflect RF. Some airplanes, just the interior shape can effect how the radio signal can be reflected.

So back to the issue, get rid of the Y and set up the ailerons with the dual aileron servo mix located in the wing function of your TX. Not only will you loose your current issue, but for once you will be abke to adjust your ailerons so you have equal throws. Equal throws are practically impossible with a Y.

Old 04-06-2012, 02:49 PM
thepamster

+ 1 on loosing the Y cable for ailerons. Earlier I recommended Ying the elevators and flapperoning the ailerons. That is what I have done though I am certain others would recommend not Ying anything and I don't entirely disagree.
  You could swap receivers from your Extra to see if your problem moves over to the Extra which would point to a receiver problem. It is possible that your bad servo could have damaged servo control circuit so you only fixed half of the problem by replacing servo.
  You could also contact Futaba manufacture support here on RCU as they respond fairly quickly during the week.
  I don't think you have a battery problem.
  I find it odd that when you first turn on radio it works ok but then off and on again and it doesn't. Your radio does not know you already had it turned on before so that does not make any sense.
  I think you may have broken the "keep it simple" rule with Ys, extensions, mixes, and such. 
  Since you say you have the exact same setup on your Extra is it really "Exact" as in mixes, settings, tx switches in "same positions" etc?
  Just a few thoughts.

The Pamster
AMA 202345
Old 04-06-2012, 04:15 PM
popsy

Guys,

I just got back from LHS... tested the receiver with a Y and 2 futaba servos he had in stock, and it works perf. tried with 2 Savox high torque, and it workrs perf. Tried my 2 Spring RC s4481M http://redwingrc.com/accessories/springrc-4481.htm , and it doesn't work with 2 servos on Y harness... I ended up buying 2 savox and finally my problems are behind.....

Thank u all for the repplies.

Best
Old 04-06-2012, 04:49 PM
thepamster

That is great news. Never heard of Spring rc servos until this thread. I think I'll steer clear of those.
I just don't trust servos that appear to be very low in cost though I think the major brands that are charging over 100.00 for a servo are taking all of us to the cleaners.  Well, some of us.

The Pamster
AMA 202345
Old 04-06-2012, 05:36 PM
speedracerntrixie

Guys,

I just got back from LHS... tested the receiver with a Y and 2 futaba servos he had in stock, and it works perf. tried with 2 Savox high torque, and it workrs perf. Tried my 2 Spring RC s4481M http://redwingrc.com/accessories/springrc-4481.htm , and it doesn't work with 2 servos on Y harness... I ended up buying 2 savox and finally my problems are behind.....

Best

That was not a realistic test. In the actual airplane, the two servos for ailerons will have long extentions as will the elevator servos. The elevator servo leads will be running paralell to a pair of steel rudder cables. With all the servos plugged into the RX, current consumption will be increased as will any external RF noise that can be picked up by the servo leads. Servo design from brand to brand is not all that different. IMO the Spring sevos were manufactured with poor quality components. Obviously the other servos are built better but as they get some use and components degrade slightly the issue could arise again. I would not be surprised if you get everything installed in the airplane and it starts doing the same thing.

Old 04-06-2012, 05:44 PM
popsy

ORIGINAL: speedracerntrixie

Guys,

Best

That was not a realistic test. In the actual airplane, the two servos for ailerons will have long extentions as will the elevator servos. The elevator servo leads will be running paralell to a pair of steel rudder cables. With all the servos plugged into the RX, current consumption will be increased as will any external RF noise that can be picked up by the servo leads. Servo design from brand to brand is not all that different. IMO the Spring sevos were manufactured with poor quality components. Obviously the other servos are built better but as they get some use and components degrade slightly the issue could arise again. I would not be surprised if you get everything installed in the airplane and it starts doing the same thing.

When i'll be done putting everything back on, I will let you know if it works or not.....hope it does....
Old 04-07-2012, 04:03 AM
popsy

I did mentionned that i have the same set-up on my extra 55cc,and everything works fine, but it doesn't have the same servos, it has power HD 1214TH .... The spring servos were the prob, they cannot be hooked up on Y.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:46 PM
BarracudaHockey

Hmmm...