Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

need setup info for the old hanger 9 46% ultimate.

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

need setup info for the old hanger 9 46% ultimate.

Old 04-06-2012, 03:56 PM
FenderBean

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts
Default need setup info for the old hanger 9 46% ultimate.

Hi everyone got a hold of one of these nibs and was wonder what people used back in the day when this plane was hot. I know todays servos are much stronger so I need the orig stuff for a hot 3d setup. I think back then the 150 was the best engine but I was considering the 170 size if it would improve 3d performance.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:03 PM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: need setup info for the old hanger 9 46% ultimate.

I would use 8711's or better all the way around and change the ailerons to a single servo on the inboard position.

I have a Da170 on greves pipes turning a 32x12 Mejlik. This thing has loads of room for pipes or canisters if you want to go that way and the 170 is no slouch with the pipe/prop setup. I originally had a DA150 on the same pipes turning a 32x10 with 8711's all around. I know the 8711's are overkill but that's just how I am.

If you need them, I was able to find the manuals

http://www.hangar-9.com/Products/Sup...ProdID=HAN1100

Click on the "Resources" tab
Old 04-06-2012, 04:17 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i ran mine on a 3w-150 on mufflers swinging a 30 x 12 mejzlik and one 5955 on each inboard hole for the alierons and one 5955 on each elevator half. I have 8711 (2) on push pull on the rudder.....Its a very draggy slow air plane that will land like a trainer....
Old 04-06-2012, 05:08 PM
bubbagates

ORIGINAL: krayzc-RCU

Its a very draggy slow air plane that will land like a trainer....
and 3D with the best of them [&:]

Basically it's a huge puddy tat until you tell it otherwise. It's got enough drag in 3D to give you loads of time to respond to most anything. Rolling circles are a blast
Old 04-06-2012, 05:18 PM
FenderBean

Well I plan to stick bang with it so the 170 sounds like a winner, Are the greves pipes the ones that help with mid range transition? I have only ran Cans so I dont know what those particular ones do?

Yeah I was going to run one servo on the wings, but what I really need is what torque they used when it released. I still have all my servos from a 100 cc YAK and they are around 300+ oz of torque. I have 6 of those and 1 8711 at the moment I dont mean to sound cheap but I am done over killing on equipment its just not cost effective. Heck some servos can pull more torque that the servo case can withstand. Hitec has some really good high torq servos that want cost me next unborn child Trust me I still go over kill on my servos just needing the orig info so I can make my selections.
Recommended setup from the site shows the old 8411s which is 155 oz of torq so using my newer hitecs at 333 oz should be okay? You would probably brake something before u stall the servo.
I'm planning to run A123s maybe 2X 2cell for ignition and receiver and then a 4 cell for the servos?

thanks for the info so far
Old 04-06-2012, 05:20 PM
FenderBean

Yeah been watching so videos on it and it seems very smooth and floaty for such a large plane, picking it up tomorrow! still NIBs
ORIGINAL: bubbagates

ORIGINAL: krayzc-RCU

Its a very draggy slow air plane that will land like a trainer....
and 3D with the best of them [&:]

Basically it's a huge puddy tat until you tell it otherwise. It's got enough drag in 3D to give you loads of time to respond to most anything. Rolling circles are a blast
Old 04-06-2012, 05:35 PM
FenderBean

With a DA can you get the pipes inside the cowl were u dont have to cut the bottom?
Old 04-06-2012, 05:45 PM
bubbagates

I made my own headers so mine are all in the cowl but I have seen these with DA150's on pipes and just a minor cutout is needed

Yes, these are the updated pipes. I bought them and used them on a DA150 and they were fine, on the 170, there was no difference other than the amount of power I now had

In my post above, you can get the manuals if you want to look over them before you pick it up. especially the addendum that may not be in the box
Old 04-06-2012, 05:58 PM
FenderBean

thanks a I found a very good thread on flying giants for this plane, shows some recommended mods and most people use just one servo on everything minus the rudder, 2 servos for most and seiko for the others. Using a seiko on 6 volts would work I would think.
I will deff go with the 170 if I can find a good deal on one with some tuned pipes so I can avoid cutting up the cowl.

wow just noticed it blanked out my mention of a certain website lol

Old 04-06-2012, 07:50 PM
FenderBean

I have 6 hitec 5955s that have 333oz at 6volts so I'm going to run these and just get a seiko 50 and run it at 8.4volts which is 1000+ oz of torque cheaper than two 8711s. Sound like a good setup?