Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Top Flite P 51 Giant Scale

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Top Flite P 51 Giant Scale

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2003, 08:07 PM
REDCURTIS
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top Flite P 51 Giant Scale

I was on the verge of buying one of the Top Flite Giant Scale P 51 kits to build. I ran across a man who I consider to be a super builder this morning and he had built one, but he told me the quality of the balsa was awful. What experiences have you guys had with this kit.

Is there a better quality 51 kit out there. What can you tell me??
Old 09-04-2003, 11:58 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Default TF P-51 Giant

Redcurtis. I have built that kit and didn't find the wood to be a problem. I'm not sure what exactly he is referring to??. The wood is not contest grade wood but that's not really required with this type of kit. Mine built and flies fine. You might also consider asking this question on the warbird forum.. Regards BobH.
Old 09-05-2003, 12:48 AM
REDCURTIS

Bob:
I am not quite sure what he had in mind when he told me the balsa was inferior. However, I have seen the airplane and it is a beauty. He is acknowledged as a master builder around here and when he talks you listen.

I appreciate your comments also. I will probably go ahead and buy the kit. Whatever problems there may be with the wood can certainly be corrected.

Curtis R.
Old 09-05-2003, 01:34 AM
CAPtain232
My Feedback: (40)

Curtis,

As a professional builder I can tell you that you CAN buy two identicle kits and the quality of the wood will vary. UNTIL you start buying kits from CARDEN and the like where they pick through and through away more wood than they use, this is just the way it is. TYPICALLY kits have AVERAGE wood in them which is pretty decent and very usable, but every now and then you get a kit with bad wood in it, and just the same you will get a kit with the BEST BALSA you ever saw.

Top Flight kits are generally pretty decent.....I would continue to do as you are here and inquire about this particular kit, but do not let one report of poor wood turn you away. If there are several reports, then yes I would stray away also. I think you will find that you may still go for it though.

Good Luck
Old 09-14-2003, 12:15 AM
crashnburn
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Top Flite P 51 Giant Scale

I am currently building the kit myself nad haven't noticed any real problems with the quality of the balsa. Having said that I have thrown some into the scap pile replace with better grade stuff, however I have done that with every kit I have ever built. My only complaint so far is there seem to be an awfull lot of shaping of balsa blocks to be done for a "kit".
Old 09-14-2003, 03:32 PM
rc_sport

I took this pic this morning at the RCHTA show
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	By76206.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	61279  
Old 09-14-2003, 04:57 PM
REDCURTIS

Nice Photo. I wish I could speak to the person that built that P 51. From what I have been able to ascertain, the Top Flite kit is usually very good and I do plan to build one this fall or winter as the case may be.

I am also looking at a Carden Kit to build. It appears that they are certainly first class without question. A little more money, but perhaps much better results.

Would be interested in any further comments from the members.

Red Curtis
Old 09-14-2003, 05:08 PM
REDCURTIS

One other thing. I have just finished building a Gee Bee Y from Pacific. It was an AFR and while the quality was good, the fit and finish cannot approach a really well build kit model. I have attached an image for your viewing. I would recommend this kit to anyone considering such an airplane. I have a Saito 180 in the airplane and while it has never been flown, I do have high hopes!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wt59166.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	61324  
Old 09-22-2003, 02:56 PM
MustangFan

I think you will find most of the wood is OK.

I had a few 3/16X4 planks that were hard.
I needed to bend them for the fuse so I wet them before use.
I could have (maybe should have) replaced them, but that was the only problems I encountered.
I am NOT a master builder, but a novice. The kit went together well.

Several people at our flying site have this plane and it flies great. I am looking forward to finishing mine.

I have been told to "beef" the landing gear area with glass or carbon fiber, it seems to be a weak point on anything but good landings.

Good Luck
Old 09-24-2003, 06:54 PM
Capt. Crackup
My Feedback: (1)

Red Curtis, Take a look at the Warbirds for sale...I have a nice Topflite P51 for sale.....Flies AWESOME........Take a look.
As for the kit the wood is not the best. but builds fairly easy. Definately take a close look at the elevator linkage and find a better way to do it(Yes my elevator setup is not stock) and you will be surprised to see the wing center section is not glassed, but is "double sheeted". Takes a little time to build but flies really well...Recommend you take a look at mine. Skip D
Old 09-22-2014, 08:14 AM
ninod

Looking for ideas on gear mounting area in order to beef it up.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:44 PM
Chris Nicastro
My Feedback: (3)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

The gear loads have to be distributed into the wing structure better so the gear wont blow out the top of the wing. Use ply to strengthen the ribs and you can also lengthen the ply parts to spread the loads. Use epoxy and fiberglass to tie the skin to the ribs, spar and webbing.
Just think of the gear as a lever and imagine the forces going into the wing structure and you will do fine.