Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

21cc on Dynaflite Super Decathlon?

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

21cc on Dynaflite Super Decathlon?

Old 09-09-2003, 04:35 PM
Wnuk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 21cc on Dynaflite Super Decathlon?

I'm looking for a plane for my 1st giant scale project. I've been given a 21cc Kioritz gasser that came out of a Cub weighing about 18lbs. I've read a lot of positive comments on the Super Decathlon on this site and am wondering if the 21cc engine would be good choice for this airplane.

Any comments?
Old 09-10-2003, 06:12 AM
beepee

Default RE: 21cc on Dynaflite Super Decathlon?

I fly mine with a Quadra 42 and it has power to spare. The 21cc engine is going to be of significantly less power. My guess is that it would be maginal, at best. You could give it a try by building VERY light. Also, be prepared for finishing tail heavy. Some have reported finished weight of 15 lbs or less. At this level, the 21cc may be a good fit.

There are 80" span versions out there, which may be a better fit. Is the Goldberg ARF still around?

Good luck!

Bedford
Old 09-10-2003, 08:08 PM
Smokey
My Feedback: (16)

I had a G23 on mine. Took one flight and decided that it was not strong enough. I now have US41 on it but have not tested it yet.

Smokey
Old 09-11-2003, 01:54 PM
Hurri

I too put a G23 with C&H ignition which gave me an extra 400 rpm , 16-8 Apc prop , weighed 17lbs . It took a long run to take off , once up there was fine , ,loop from level flt etc . But decided to put a Quadra 400 in it , what a differance , only trouble is that the Q400 exhausts out side & muffler that comes with it would look like heck as that Decath; cowl is so narrow , so made my own muffler . Incidently that plastic cowl that comes with kit is the worst one have ever seen , made a new one from f/glass .