Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

GSP Giles 202

Old 09-10-2003, 01:57 AM
Fred
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GSP Giles 202

Hi anyone Flying the 109" Giles from Giant scale planes ? I did a search and came up empty ?
Thanks
Old 09-17-2003, 04:43 AM
JRMAN

Default RE: GSP Giles 202

FRED
I AM BUILDING ONE AT THE MOMENT BUT AM A BIT OFF HAVING IT FINISHED.LOOKING FOWARD TO FLYING IT. INSTALLING A 3W 150 WITH HITEC 5495 SERVOS. CANOPY WAS A LET DOWN, HAVE ORDERED A NEW ONE. OVERALL BUILDING IS PRETTY GOOD. SOME OF THE SHEETING NEEDS SOME WORK. HOPE THIS HELPS A LITTLE BIT.
Old 09-17-2003, 03:21 PM
Fred

Hi JRMAN
Thanks for the reply,,
What was wrong with the canopy ?
Still waiting for mine to get here.thought I would get a head start on some of the mods ,,( see what others are having to do ),,Keep me posted,,Thanks
Fred
Nifty name for a town,,you can tell you ain't from Texas ,,,,,boy..LMAO
Have a great day
Old 09-18-2003, 05:48 AM
JRMAN

HI FRED
THE CANOPY WAS PAPER THIN ON ONE SIDE AND TO THICK ON THE OTHER. IN OTHER WORDS IT WAS NO GOOD.
I HAVE ALL THE WING TUBES FITTED AND GLUE IN, SERVOS ALL MOUNTED, ALL EXTENSION LEADS HAVE JUST ARRIVED FROM USA. FITTING A POWER BOX SYSTEM WITH A MULTIPLEX 9 CHANNEL IPD RECEIVER AND TWO 3000MA METAL HIDRIDE BATTERIES.
I WOULD BE INTERESTED IN WHAT SORT OF SET UP YOU ARE INTENDING YOU ARE INTENDING TO USE.
Old 09-18-2003, 04:20 PM
Fred

Hi JRMAN
I just received mine and am looking through it everything is in pretty good shape except for the hatch and the landing gear did a number on it but I think I can fix it ok,,
My set will be
4 HT 5645's on the wings
2 HT 5945's elevators
3w150 on pipes or cans not sure yet,,
TME smoke
3600 powerflights x 2
2 receivers/PCM
Airtronics Stylus
It is one cool looking bird in the bones !!
Is not near as big as my AW Extra but I plan on using this one for 3d fun any way .
Gotta go finish looking thing over
Have a GReat Day
Old 09-23-2003, 09:24 PM
Fred

I found a pretty good Vifeo of this plane flying
http://www.giantscalerc.com/images/a...s300Flight.mpg
IF you down load it and it is just a box with squares,,there is ( one ) little button to click on and it will play in a diffrent player,,it gets pretty wild !! Let me know what you think,,
Catch you later
Fred
Old 04-25-2006, 05:35 PM
niceflattop

Fred,
I am looking at purchasing a giant scale planes, giles 202. I am interested in how yours turned out? Do you have any pictures/video? What engine did you go with and what elevation do you live at?
Thanks for the help.

Lance
Old 04-25-2006, 05:43 PM
btoby

this conversation is three years old
Old 04-27-2006, 02:11 PM
Fred

I had forgotten about this thread ,,I have sense built 2 more of these planes ,,and all three flew very well..have to do allot extra work on them ,,but worth it in the end .......Look at my gallery my latest one in the orange one,,and it too flys like one string ,,I went with a 3w150,,the new hi tech 5955 on the elevators,,and we are at 4200 ft...plenty of power ,,it came in at 37.8,,I did cut out lots of the plywood ,,in the hatch and turtle deck ,,,balanced right on the wing tube they say it should be in front of it but it flys better balanced on the tube ,,I have heard bad reports on their customer support but I have had no problems,,they even sent me 3 canopy's till I got a good one ,,no questions asked ,,they had a flaw one side was real thick and the other was paper thin ,,,,over all the plane is built ok ,,but you better double check everything ,,I did not use the stab hold on method I did a mod there with 2 tabs that bolt to the fuse ..
Make sure the servo box's a glued well on all three of these I found one or two that needed to be re glued
Old 10-04-2006, 09:04 AM
bobzilla
My Feedback: (63)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any chance you have a pic or two of the stab mod you did for giles. Im getting ready to build new one..any other
"must do" mods you could think of would be so kind..
thanks Fred
bobz
Old 10-04-2006, 12:44 PM
frankjr

i have a 96 inch and have been flying it 4 about 4 years and i love it
Old 10-04-2006, 03:20 PM
Fred

Hi bobz I will get a picture and post it ,,it was easy to do,,all so on all 3 of these I had to adjust the wing tube mount to make it square , I have also had to redo the servo boxs ( all of them ),,they are not glued in very well,,,Oh and a the real biggie is the tube in the wing !! I lost one in a crash when it pulled through the foam and out the top of the wing ,,Wish I had seen the Hemple vid before it happened ,,LOL,,,, I was flying my latest one and noticed the wing would squeak when sliding it on the tube,,after about 60 flights ,,I have been practicing the advanced sequence for IMAC,,lots of out side snaps,,My fix was to drill a 1/8 hole about mid way down the wing on the bottom side ( wish I had done it before I covered it ) , I thinned some gorilla glue with water and used a surenge to inject it in the hole,be sure to keep an eye on it I used a piece of tape to keep the glue in the wing.,I used about 30cc and I think it would have taken more , but I know how the glue expands , I now have over 150 flights on it no problems . I know this all sounds discouraging ,,But when you get it done you will be very happy with it ,,I know I have done three and if something happens to this one I will do another,,they fly that good !!!!!!!
I hope this helps ,,,I will be glad to answer any questions you have ,,just ask
Have a good day
Fred
Old 10-04-2006, 04:02 PM
bobzilla

thanks for reply and info Fred..and I'm printing and building me a database of things to do.
Bill should did a nice landing on one wing...(but Futaba servo?? yukie..hehe).
So I take it the injection of Gorilla surrounds the tube outside and re-binds to other support structures..or foam.
Im putting in a 3w 150 new that I have laying around..and just plain tired of seeing it. Did you have any problems with the cowling fitting or getting 150 to balance? I sorry, I wish I could invite you to vegas for dinner and I would pick your brain..hehe..
thanks for the help, and I be sending pictures..as I go..I stole your pics from your gallery..and already see some ideas..

please visite my websites and enjoy over 1000 carnage and flying pics

www.theultimategamer.net
www.airbornelizards.com

bobz

Old 10-04-2006, 04:28 PM
Fred

HI Bobz
Yes it surounds the out side of the tube, I did slide the tube in the wings till the glue dried ,and I plan on being in Yuma Az. for a week in Feb. I have some pictures I looking for and will post when I find them ,
Old 10-04-2006, 04:57 PM
Fred

Just behind the spinner you can see the ( TOP ) of the cylender head,,lots of room for the 3w150,even for the stock mufflers
the ugly picture is to show the LACK of glue used when they built the wing just two 1/4 inch wide strips of glue and that was it ,, !
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99601.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	535319   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kg15121.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	535320  
Old 10-05-2006, 10:54 PM
bobzilla

I sent the check yesterday for my Giles. Im ordering the video from tower that give some great help on learning to cover better..I SUCK! I love your color schemes and would like permission to kinda copy some parts, Fred?
I will be getting ARC in about 2 weeks I think (personal check slows things down). I not really sure what hardware comes with plane, so I wait till I get plane and buy as needed. The engine is ready, new 3w150 with johnston mufflers.
I gonna use a Li-ion 7.4v with regulator for ignition (its the older style 3w..but never ran engine). I have 6-8611's and a Duralite powerbox that I will start with for flight servos. (Did you hear about JR coming out with a new 8700 series with over 700+ oz of torque..they are selling them in Japan..I hear. Hope to see in US SOON. Here is a link
http://www.omp.com.au/servos.htm
check it out..
Ok..enough of my rambling..
later..
bobzilla

Here are my 2 current fly baby's. AM yak's 33% and a 30%.

Name:	Om31904.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	535945   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tp46005.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	535946  
Old 10-06-2006, 06:52 PM
Fred

Hi Bob
Nice planes,what does the 33% Yak weigh ?,No problem on the colors schemes,,their is no hardware in the giles,,and be sure to check the canopy ,,I had two that where paper thin on one side and really thick on the other,,GSP was happy to replace and had it in a few days,,no problem..I used to run all JR servos but they got to chattering BAD,,I would send them in and they said they couldnt find anything wrong ,Put them back in and they chatter ,,I replaced them with Hi tech and no more problems..I use 5695's on everything except the elevators and have been using the 5995's ,one on each half ,not problems ( yet ),,lol
Keep me posted on your progress,,Oh and on the wing bolts they use a big phillips machine screw,was a pain to get to so I screwed a plastic wing nut on back wards ( wing faceing the head of the bolt ) the bolts are metric and I used a standard SAE wing nut ,once it;s on it therer for good makes it easy to bolt the wing on now..
Talk about rambling ,, lol,,
Very nice web sight by the way ..do you fly out to wards Laufflin....
Old 10-06-2006, 07:37 PM
bobzilla

yes..the road to laughlin..just as you get going down that long hill out of railroad pass...we fly that dry lake on the left (Eldorado Lake bed)
I wonder why they sell the Giles so dang cheap....it is only $224 now..so I could not pass up a deal..even if I
have to rebuild parts..its a way I can get my 3w150 into service.

I also am the webmaster and member of EVFlyers and we have another field in Boulder City.
www.evflyers.org

Are you still flyin your Giles..or moved on Extras etc??

bobz

(I have never weight plane..but I know from the forums..it is heavier than what they advertised..by 1 or so.
If flys so light and floats in so nice.
Here is what the rest of my room looks like..a disaster..hehaha

Name:	Ge94537.jpg
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	536290  
Old 10-06-2006, 08:02 PM
Fred

Nice disaster

I do fly a AW 39% Extra,,But in my opinion the Giles's have been a straiter flying plane ,,I dont have to use near as many mixs just a tad of up elevator on full rudder .it has some roll coupling but not enough to dial out ,

Name:	Yw68871.jpg
Size:	154.2 KB
ID:	536297   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av68819.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	151.1 KB
ID:	536298  
Old 10-06-2006, 08:05 PM
bobzilla

yes..i see..I mount my yaks horz stab same way..looks like i will be quite busy with mods...
the hatch is one I will need more photos..if you can ..but later..if ok.

bobz
Old 10-06-2006, 08:07 PM
bobzilla

FRANK...do you have some pics of your Giles?? or any mods that you did..to make better...Fred is helping me with my first one..maybe you have something to contribute..thanks
bobz
Old 10-06-2006, 08:55 PM
Fred

not sure what you need on the hatch.but here are a few

Name:	Da83450.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	536334   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up46810.jpg
Size:	155.4 KB
ID:	536335   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv56007.jpg
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	536336   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vp38728.jpg
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	536337   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rc41848.jpg
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	536338  
Old 10-06-2006, 11:00 PM
Fred

RC Humor
actully a test to see if this works
Old 11-08-2006, 07:17 PM
bobzilla

Hi Fred,
I got my giles today..and WOW what a plane...I had really no damage in shipping (whew) and noticed some minor cracks in the sheeting on the wings and turtle deck. The instructions from website is quite lacking but understandable..still
a little comfused about that steel rod affair in rear. I also see that vert stab just inserts into some crappy foam with those two extrenders..don't seem very secure..and I know you mentioned you modded..If you could elaborate on that I would appreciate that. The side of my fuselage had some part separating from the formers..which i will re-glue. The aluminun landing gear I got seem quite short..it is wide, but not very tall..and I noticed in your picture of the orange/white Giles, your plane seems tall, did you use another gear or composite?

Here is a short list of some questions I have..and hopefully I not burdening you too much.

1. The motor box looks good..should I pin still and/or wrap heavy duty fiberglass cloth?
2. That clear canopy seems a might hard to fit right inside the hatch..how do I glue that inside, do i cut lightening holes from bottom to get to?
3. I see you opted for pull-pull instead of using rear mounted rudder servos. Did you have problems then making CG right?
4. Did you mount elevator servos in stab or side of fuselage? I'm also using just 1- 8611 or 1-5955 per elevator..will that be enough?
5. Did you beef up the landing gear block/area...seems it could stand some.

thanks for your help and I'm sure I will dig up some more questions as I go along..and thanks again..
Bobz
Old 11-09-2006, 04:35 PM
Fred

The motor box looks good..should I pin still and/or wrap heavy duty fiberglass cloth?
2. That clear canopy seems a might hard to fit right inside the hatch..how do I glue that inside, do i cut lightening holes from bottom to get to?
3. I see you opted for pull-pull instead of using rear mounted rudder servos. Did you have problems then making CG right?
4. Did you mount elevator servos in stab or side of fuselage? I'm also using just 1- 8611 or 1-5955 per elevator..will that be enough?
5. Did you beef up the landing gear block/area...seems it could stand some.
************************************************** ******* *************** ***************** ********
Hey Glad you got it , Nope I don't mind helping out ,,I just hope I can save you some headaches..
so here we go..............
1. Yes pin the fire wall and add epoxy to all the joints,,but as for Fiberglass I have not need it
2. The canopy is a pain in the arf..I cut all the lightning holes to save weight ,and it makes it easyer to glue the canopy in
I used Gorilla glue and sticks cut to the width of the cockpit area that fit snug to press or push it to the sides,once that had dried .you will see a big gap in front of the canopy on the cockpit floor I used gorilla glue and water to fill it and it is still going good ,,
3. With the pull pull it balanced right on the wig tube and fly's better on that CG than theres...
4. I mounted 1 per side 5955 in the stab,and so far I have not had any blow back I fly some 3d and Intermediate IMAC
5. I changed out the screws with 6/32 socket head bolts and lock nuts,,but didnt re glue anything,,we fly from a grass field and so far it has held up well,,Yes I did use a composite gear from http://www.rcsupergear.com/ but I cant recommend it ,,for the Giles..Why ?? the layup system he used the glue is too soft and any temp above 95 they get REAL soft and twist, you can twist them back and put a wet towel on it and will hold its shape till it gets hot again,,I have to admit though the guy really tried to work with me he sent me another to replace the first and we had lots of emails conversations about it but really never got it fixed ,, Oh they sent the wrong gear with this one the sent a 33% edge gear. Mine is 12" tall and 33" wide.
6. Do the mod on the stabs and toss the rod an caller deal on the tail.
Well I hope this get you going ..and don't hesitate to ask questions..
Have a great day

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.