Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Buyer be AWARE of Chief Aircraft

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Buyer be AWARE of Chief Aircraft

Old 10-06-2003, 02:17 PM
dennisB
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Buyer be AWARE of Chief Aircraft

My one and only experience with Chief:
I ordered about $800 worth of r/c from chief...was told it was all in stock. After a week, called them to find out when it left- "oh, we're backordered on that part, should be in about a week". Clerk was rude and said he never told me the parts were in stock. I cancelled the order, will never order from again.
Old 10-06-2003, 03:51 PM
JBrannon
My Feedback: (3)

I have had problems with Chief also. I ordered at Saito 91 which showed up with only the engine in the box, no docs, no tools, no manifold, no muffler. I called and talked to Larry, who is great BTW. He told me that he would call Horizon and have them send me the replacements. They sent me some of the stuff but the muffler was on back order. They told me Chief would have to replace the muffler from another new box and return that engine to Horizon for replacement.

Well I called Cheif to tell them this and Larry was unavailable so I talked to Dana.

Well Dana cursed me when I told him what Horizon had said and then when I said that I was disappointed when I opened the box and found the muffler was missing he said " You gotta be kidding we dont have F'n time to check sh*t before we send it out."

Then Dana said he would call Horizon and make sure I got my parts. Well I never did.

So I called back again and Talked to Larry who told me Dana was the owner.

Well its real hard to buy anything from Chief now knowing my money is going into that a**holes bank account.

But Larry did get my parts to me after 4 weeks of having a new motor I couldnt use.

Joe
Old 10-06-2003, 03:59 PM
3wExtra

hummm this is like a can of smally worms.... I am sorry that so many people are having REAL problems with Chief AirCrap. but again why let other people know... just let Dana and his bandits keep getting the $ from honest people, right? wrong! as more and more people get out and say things as they are, the less likely these *****#oles are going to get another of us, keep them comming.... I am almost sure that wwe can make a difference....[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 10-30-2003, 09:34 AM
Power RC
My Feedback: (2)

Let me share my story with you about Chief R/C. I bought a ZDZ 40B Sportsman along with a Hitec servo. Received my order quickly but noticed that the prop was not the advertized size of 20X10 and the Engine was in a plastic ziplock bag with nothing for documentation or warranty. Since this is my first gasser I wanted to do everything by the book, but I didn't receive one after trying and waiting finally I got fed up with it and sent the engine back. The order was received in August and I received credit for the engine cost only yesterday the 29th of Oct. I asked for money to help cover the cost of shipping to them the incomplete order and did not receive anything back for my shipping or the original shipping cost of a incomplete motor. I will never even if they are the last source on earth place a order with them, now I will be filing a complaint with the BBB on them too. Just to help others that check prior to purchasing.
Safe flying all,
Rob
Old 10-30-2003, 12:50 PM
vkmaynard
My Feedback: (1)

My first order for a 80" H9 Cap had zero problems. The ZDZ engine and Mejlik prop all arrived on time. RC Showcase receives the ZDZ engines in bulk and ships them to Chief the same way. I had no problems with the zip lock bag thing. Got all the instructions, parts and muffler. I'll order from them again.

I've also talked with Dana and HIGHLY doubt the inflated story about him blessing out a customer. Sounds like some Freudian imaginary someone is out to get me thing.

Victor
Old 10-30-2003, 01:13 PM
3wExtra

Victor, so do you really think that all these people are just making stuff out?
I have no doubt that there are many people out there happy with the way Crap-Aircraft has treated them, but there are many people that have been ripped off by Chief-Aircrap.
And by their tone of voice, and insults i did experience, I do believe that many in that outfit, would or have blessed people when they have asked about to return defective merchandise.
Old 10-30-2003, 05:28 PM
davidm
My Feedback: (18)

I never bought anything from Chief Aircraft, but I am a corporate pilot and a modeler, I see their advertisement in Trade-A-Plane which is the famous yellow fullsize aircraft sales newspaper. They sell instruments radios and other items pertaining to aircraft maintenance.
Makes me wonder why they would get involved in RC and for the price of our planes and engines and radios, is just nickels and dimes for them compared to the Full Size aircraft parts.

David
Old 10-30-2003, 05:43 PM
3wExtra

why, because there is a lot of money on this hobby. there are people that spend tens of k a year. and there is a good margin between 10% to 40% on the most expensive items. and what there is to loose for them.... nothing they do not take resposability of anything they sell.
I will neve buy from them again....
Old 10-30-2003, 11:46 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was going to order from Chief, but I had a gut feeling not too. I wil not oder anything from a company that can easy make it right for his customers, and will not. They can too.....like the oher fellow said, its just pocket change to them. Ask for the best place to buy...and go!!!!! Thanks Capt,n
Old 10-31-2003, 02:20 AM
bn120

SYLHS!

Darin
Old 10-31-2003, 06:52 AM
cap10b

Here is my two cents worth
I buy from Chief never had a problem (Larry is a good guy) but I did notice that when Larry goes to a show or vacation the quality of customer service drops. There are some employees that carry the company on their backs. They carry the screw ups, the owner, everyone that has a headache, backache, basically have Chief Aircraft-itis. We've all been there, but thats not going to stop me from buying from a company that provides a product I need. Plus a very wise purchasing agent once told me when I was a tadpole buying for a fixed based operation "Don't put all your eggs in one basket" meaning spread the money around. Don't buy everything from one or two places. Find out where the diamond in the rough is find out who has good service and who does'nt. When you get a bad experience with a company cool it with them for a while talk to the managers and let them know whats going on. Don't whine and cry, just tell them straight up. Hey you guys are making me look bad, I missed a due date we didn't get the customer up in the air. Give them a chance to make it right. I guarantee you if they know they can keep you as a customer buy giving or sending you something or even knocking a little off the price or shipping they will do it. These people are not dumb they know we butter their bread.

And something else just because Larry has to fixed all the problems caused by everyone else doesn't mean that Larry is the only person that knows whats going on. Talk to them find out who is a good guy who is not. Just as an example some of my present co-workers have to deal with IBM and there are two people there that need to be shot!!! When they answer the phone my co-workers just hang up wait a few minutes and call again to get someone else. When review time comes around these bad apples get tossed and new blood moves up. That's the American way !!

Two can play at the merry go round of capitalism.

Thats my story and I'm sticking to it

jds
Old 10-31-2003, 08:41 AM
3wExtra

Cap10b, I think you did not read my initial posting!

I gave them PLENTY of time and opportunities to make things right. they just laughed and insulted me. I talked to a 4-5 different people (including DANA) at Chief Aircrap and they just basically told me to go and Fu*** my Self.
I did not even understand half of they insults but my wife translated them .

I was a good customer, I did start buying from them when they just started to sell RC products and they had no much idea of what to sell, then it was grate, you could talk to them in civilized way! Then, they care about the product they sold, their customers, and customer service.

Me too experienced way better days with them; but the way they treated me this LAST time is not just one person dropping the ball. It is the entire staff including DANA. I have been noticing this new ways for quite some time, but I did keep giving them the opportunity to make it right.

This time they knew, that they were wrong, they knew that they lied, and they also knew that they were screwing me up and THEY DID NOT CARE. I am glad you are happy with them, but i want to make sure that people does know the kind of business they are before they give CA their hard earn money.
Cheers[:-]
Old 10-31-2003, 09:22 AM
vkmaynard

Yep, I think you are lying about Dana telling you to "go and Fu*** my Self". You obviously have a personal problem with them.

Just like when I bought two Valentine One radar detectors ($820 shipped). There was a guy who did his best to make up stories about how bad the detector was. One thread he was "Jack" then the next time he was "Marty". He used the same phrases, reworded and misspelled "piece of juk" every time in about 20 threads. My 10 and 8 year old sons thought his ramblings were unbelievable and stupid. The radar detectors turned out to be the best, period.

Too bad you had a problem of which we only know your side of the "story". Also the person, who expects a retailer to open every box and inspect the contents before shipping, is on crack or something. Does Sears, Wal-Mart, etc open every box at the checkout counter to make sure the batteries and all the parts are there according to the packing list (if there is one)? Some need to get back to reality.

Don't do business with them, that's you choice. As for me, I will and will buy RC and real airplane (for my experimental airplane) parts from them.

FYI: The instrument panel they shipped for the Hangar 9 80" Cap was not great looking (instruments were not centered). So, instead of going into a rage I called Horizon (who they would have to call anyway) and they sent me a new one in three days and told me to keep the old one. Simple.

Victor
Old 10-31-2003, 11:13 AM
3wExtra

well, victor what can i say... i am glad you are happy with them . The truth is that I do not expect them to to open every box, but I DO EXPECT THAT THEY DO NOT SEND ME USED OR OPENED MERCHANDISE WHEN I PAY FOR NEW! and if they do I expect them to replace it.
I am Astolfo, and have been posting on this forum for a very long time. I do not create duplicate post as you suggest [:-], and it does not matter weather you believe me or not [&:]. obviously there are quite a few people out there disappointed with Chief aircraft, and quite a few people will think twice before they buy from them.
Old 10-31-2003, 12:51 PM
JBrannon

Yep, I think you are lying about Dana telling you to "go and Fu*** my Self". You obviously have a personal problem with them.
I can believe Dana would say that. He has insulted and verbally abused me on the phone. He didnt use the F word but he used several other four letter words that you cant say on TV.

As for Larry, he is the best. He should get $10,000.00 bonuses on a regular basis.

Joe
Old 10-31-2003, 01:27 PM
cap10b

FC26,
Your suffering because of these people chalk it up to experience move on to the next vendor. Put a big astrick by their name in your phone book and dont call them anymore.

We are with ya bud, some companies are put here on this earth as a warning to others.

This aint nothing compared to dealing with Pratt Whitney they tell you to go jump and really mean it. LOL

jds
Old 10-31-2003, 01:39 PM
cap10b

DavidM,
I was a purchasing agent for 20 years at Aviall here in Dallas, Texas. I bought everything from carpet to PT6 and JT15 parts. You name it if it broke we fixed it and I bought it.

That did strike me funny as to why an FBO would sell RC stuff. I know Aviall was owned by Ryder at one time and they talked about selling truck parts next to AC parts.......needless to say the Feds really frowned on that one.

Chief must really be a little podunky FBO or corporate aviation is really hurting more than I thought. When I talked to Larry I got the impression that RC was just a little side line, maybe the bosses kid flys or somebody who has the money and authority flys or is involved some way with the sport.

Oh well as long as they can produce who cares.

jds
Old 10-31-2003, 01:43 PM
3d-aholic
My Feedback: (7)

Hmm, I bought a Saito 91 there, opened the box only when I received it, held the engine "by hand" on my plane to see its CG effect. Saw the engine was way too light. Put it back in the box with everything else completely sealed and untouched and sent it back about 2 days later. Haven't heard any problems with my refund.

Unfortunately, with mail order, you just can't do certain things you need to determine if something is going to work...including measuring.
Old 10-31-2003, 02:30 PM
William Robison

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I have had absolutely no problem dealing with Chief in purchases or returns. Larry and Dana have both been helpful and courteous every time.

That having been said, folks, this Chief bashing and defending has been going on for more than a month now, with no resolution is sight.

I think we can all say that further comment will not bring us to a resolution, either.

With this in mind, the thread is closed.

Bill.
Old 08-12-2016, 10:37 AM
2.4ghs
My Feedback: (15)

I have been trying to order a pilot plane over 2000.00 and I have sent 4 emails to crap aircraft with no response. I contacted Tony with pilot and told him my problem and he told me be a sure Dana will contact you, well it has been a week now and nothing from Dana, now I have waited this long I would never do business with a company like this. I guess they don't want my money, I told Tony he needs to find another vendor for his planes as he could be selling a lot more of them.
Old 09-22-2016, 11:32 AM
Johnnysplits

I just came across this thread. I think it's pretty funny that people who have dealt with Chief who live in Florida had no problems. Of course those people would have great service because when you live within driving distance of the place, I'm sure nobody would be cursed out over the phone. Chief is about a 1 1/2 hour drive from me. Trust me, if someone there cursed me out, I'd be on their doorstep in a heartbeat!
Old 10-01-2016, 08:45 AM
crankpin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have been buying planes from Chief for six years. Never a problem. Once when one of the 28% Decathlon wing box was forked by the carrier, one phone call, and I had another box of wing halfs for it in 3 days, even before I sent the other back. When buying DA engines, I only go to DA. That way I am assured I will not get something that someone sent back, or has been setting on the shelf for some time. Radio gear, same way, direct to Horizon. YS engines, direct to Central. My thought is that Chief mainly deals in airplanes. Engines, radios are only a compliment to the buyer.
Never had anyone at Chief try to sell me an engine or radio gear purchase when ordering the airframes.
My 2 cents.
Crank

Last edited by crankpin; 10-01-2016 at 08:48 AM.
Old 10-01-2016, 11:19 AM
2.4ghs

You are just one of the lucky ones, I had problems with them at joe nall and also on line and also on the phone, I got a sick nasty letter from Dana, and after reading his letter I would never ever order from him ever. I would never post his letter on line but if you want to see it let me know. My opinion is his customer service SUCKS. He doesn't understand that he is not the only one we can by parts from and he don't really care. JMO
Old 10-06-2016, 04:26 PM
rustie66

Default Chief Aircraft

Originally Posted by 2.4ghs
......but if you want to see it let me know. My opinion is his customer service SUCKS. He doesn't understand that he is not the only one we can by parts from and he don't really care. JMO
Sure, post that letter. It's always interesting to read what a company will write back to one of their customers.....
Old 10-06-2016, 04:58 PM
2.4ghs

It just wouldn't be ethical to post if you want to read it I would be glad to send it to you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.