Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Power expander?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 03:00 PM
colbyneal1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power expander?

Do I need to run a power expander with 5 hv 400oz torque servos OR should I just plug them straight into the 7008sb futaba reciever. how many amps can a reciever handle anyways? futaba's website says nothing about it that i could find.

Last edited by colbyneal1; 12-03-2014 at 03:55 PM.
Old 12-03-2014, 04:21 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In my test I have found the Futaba Rx's (R6014HS) can handle 8amp. Also in my test of my HV servos (Savox), very seldom do they really pull any load even under a stall condition. On my current build 46% Pitts the highest amp pulled in testing was 1.2amp and that was just prior to the stalling of all eight simultaneously.

Last edited by acerc; 12-03-2014 at 04:24 PM.
Old 12-03-2014, 05:58 PM
colbyneal1

Thanks for the info ace, Im on my first big airplane setup. 35cc extra. I didn't really want to get a power expander if not needed. Just one more thing that could fail is what I was thinking.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:30 PM
acerc

Power distribution boards do have their place and I use them when need be, such as multiple servo control surfaces. I like them because they provide a balanced power to each servo as well as isolating a servo if one becomes a problem. They are also helpful for the same reasons when running two batteries. I also would like to note that I have fried a Rx on a 20cc profile. Apparently there was to much of a load for to long. I test my equipment so I know what it is capable of but I also have no issue with taking further steps to insure my investment returns home in one piece.
All that being said Futaba states a power load of 3.5-8.5 on your Rx so as long as you don't overload it, it should be fine. I would advise buying an inline load tester so you can check your set-up and what it will pull. One of these http://www.gravesrc.com/hobby-people...ts-energy.html will tell you all you need to know.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:00 PM
colbyneal1

Awesome! I already own a watt meter for my small electrics. I didnt think of using it for this though, great idea!
Old 12-03-2014, 07:24 PM
acerc

LOL! Then you already know it will tell you all you need to know, you just didn't know you knew.