Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Quality of 30cc Troy Build Airplanes

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Quality of 30cc Troy Build Airplanes

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 06:07 PM
dksnyder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quality of 30cc Troy Build Airplanes

I am considering buying a 30cc airplane to power with an O.S. 1.60cu in glow motor which I have on hand.
Troy Built Models makes an attractive Yak 55...
TBM YAK-54 Scheme 5 30cc 71" Wingspan ARF
Does anyone have any opinions on the quality of TroyBuilt Models?
and, what do you think of using the O.S. 1.60 Glow motor in a 10 - 11 lb. airplane vs. the DLE 30cc gal engine?
I have no experience with gas motors, and I am nervous about having to learn a whole new power system.

Any info would be appreciated,
Thanks
Don
Old 07-08-2015, 04:39 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 346 Likes on 277 Posts

Don, gas motors aren't any more complicated than glow once you learn a few things and the cost and mess are way lower in that size especially in fuel costs.
Old 07-08-2015, 06:03 AM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dksnyder
I am considering buying a 30cc airplane to power with an O.S. 1.60cu in glow motor which I have on hand.
Troy Built Models makes an attractive Yak 55...
TBM YAK-54 Scheme 5 30cc 71" Wingspan ARF
Does anyone have any opinions on the quality of TroyBuilt Models?
and, what do you think of using the O.S. 1.60 Glow motor in a 10 - 11 lb. airplane vs. the DLE 30cc gal engine?
I have no experience with gas motors, and I am nervous about having to learn a whole new power system.

Any info would be appreciated,
Thanks
Don

The 1.60 has adequate power for the plane especially if you use a pipe on it and a larger prop such as the APC 18.1 x 10. On muffler, the 160 will turn an 18x8, 17x10

The DLE 30cc will turn an 18x8 wood prop at slightly better rpm than the piped 160 will turn the 18.1x10. Either way there's adequate power.

I was in your shoes 6 years ago. I made the move to gas and haven't looked back to glow for anything other than my grandson's 40 powered trainer. There is very little to learn actually.

Set the low speed needle until it transitions clean (if too lean it will usually die transitioning) and set the high speed needle to maximum minus a couple hundred rpm. You can break the engine in on the same prop you intend to do most of your flying with. You can use the same gasil mix for break in and after. Some don't use the same but that's just preference.

The engines in this class work well with a 50:1 gasil mix (2% oil or 2.6 ozs oil per gallon). Use a good synthetic oil (HP Ultra, Redline, Bel Ray MC1 Racing synthetic, and there are quite a few others). Some like to run a 40:1 (2.5%) and yet others 33:1 (3%). These mixtures of gas/oil work fine. It's very simple any more with current gas engines.
Old 07-10-2015, 04:54 AM
mustangman177

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking at this same model and thinking of putting in a DLE 35 RA in this model. Never bought a Troy Built Model before, the price is hard to beat on this model. Anyone have one ?

Thanks in advance

Cary
Old 07-10-2015, 05:55 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 346 Likes on 277 Posts

If its ESM or similar, what I have found is they cost less than a Hangar-9 or Pilot RC kit, the hardware isn't as good and there's some things you'll have to replace or figure out.

Some folks think that's an acceptable trade off for the lower cost, some people would rather pay more and get a nicer product out of the box.

That's a generalization, I've never messed with that particular kit.

TBM in general though is excellent to deal with and I know a few of the guys there from doing reviews and buying stuff for my personal use and never had any problems with them.