Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

please help me identify this

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

please help me identify this

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2016, 02:03 AM
coleboom

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default please help me identify this

I bought this plane a the swap meet yesterday... when it occured to me I didn't know what brand it was... I couldn't find the vender

This plane has a zdz 50 engine (at least that is what he told. me)  I paid 360

the wing span is in the range of 83 inch

Also there is no secondary battery switch or hookup Do you suppose they intended to share with the receiver... the switch was marked 4.8 V nimh

Another also
I am reluctant to just assume the cog is about right.. If no one can identify this airframe. then can someone tell me how to get close with this wing shape?

There is a big muffler... the engine has a long pretty straight exhaust pope going into a muffler which is about 8 inches long and 3 inches or so in diameter... the exhaust flow in the front and out the front and down as well

anyone tell me anything about this setup... I feel a little foolish for not having asked more questions

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	2185073   Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	2185074   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	2185075   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	2185076   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	2185077   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	2185078   Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	2185079  
Old 10-09-2016, 03:46 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by coleboom
I bought this plane a the swap meet yesterday... when it occured to me I didn't know what brand it was... I couldn't find the vender

This plane has a zdz 50 engine (at least that is what he told. me)  I paid 360

the wing span is in the range of 83 inch

Also there is no secondary battery switch or hookup Do you suppose they intended to share with the receiver... the switch was marked 4.8 V nimh

Another also
I am reluctant to just assume the cog is about right.. If no one can identify this airframe. then can someone tell me how to get close with this wing shape?

There is a big muffler... the engine has a long pretty straight exhaust pope going into a muffler which is about 8 inches long and 3 inches or so in diameter... the exhaust flow in the front and out the front and down as well

anyone tell me anything about this setup... I feel a little foolish for not having asked more questions

Looks kind of like an Extra 260 but the canopy is not quite right. Could be one of the Chicom cheap knock-offs.

Some use a single battery for the rx and ignition but on larger planes it's better to use separate batteries for each. Regardless ,there should be a kill switch mounted on the outside of plane for the engine ignition....if not, install one. Simply follow the battery lead out of the ignition box and see where it goes.

For cg just measure 25 to 33 percent back from the leading edge along the root. That will get you close.

It looks like a canister muffler was installed . They decrease the noise while not decreasing performance that much.

As far as the plane, well the engine is not a popular brand so hopefully it still runs. Check the servos and hopefully they didn't install junk. Go over and inspect everything on the plane and change lines on the fuel tank too.

Good Luck.

Last edited by flyinwalenda; 10-09-2016 at 03:53 AM.
Old 10-09-2016, 06:53 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

It's a Colombo Anderson 27% Extra 330. Good buy, they fly great, I won several IMAC contests with the 38% version. Set the CG to 30% of MAC an you are good to go. ZDZ never got really big in the US mainly due to poor representation. They currently have a new distributor that seems to be on the ball. The ignition on yours requires no more then five volts. Get a rebuild kit for the carb and all should be fine. May take a bit of looking as they either used Zuma carbs or Tillotson.
Old 10-10-2016, 04:00 PM
coleboom

thank you I am grateful for the info. The guy who sold this to me said the zdz ran great... I have been doing some research and evidentally they are tuned for a muffler .. Odly it has a 3 blade 18x10... seems a little odd but as long is it pulls well I will be happy....

Hitec servos all around.. I haven't had a chance to mess with it yet so likely It will wait till spring... I will put a battery and optical switch in for the engine..

I actually bought this plane cause a buddy of mine has been searching for something like this. he may actually buy it from me.

wixh me luck
Old 10-11-2016, 02:58 AM
flyinwalenda

Installing a 3-blade prop along with the canister muffler are both methods to reduce the noise when flying.
Old 10-11-2016, 03:04 AM
coleboom

thanks
Old 10-11-2016, 10:52 AM
coleboom

odd 18 3 blade should be more like 20
Old 10-11-2016, 12:05 PM
coleboom

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
It's a Colombo Anderson 27% Extra 330. Good buy, they fly great, I won several IMAC contests with the 38% version. Set the CG to 30% of MAC an you are good to go. ZDZ never got really big in the US mainly due to poor representation. They currently have a new distributor that seems to be on the ball. The ignition on yours requires no more then five volts. Get a rebuild kit for the carb and all should be fine. May take a bit of looking as they either used Zuma carbs or Tillotson.

I have been researching.. evidentally Colombo Anderson doesn't exist anymore? or if they do I cannot find info... How did you know it was CA All the info I can find points to CA being kit builds so there would be no standard scheme.
Old 10-11-2016, 03:23 PM
flyinwalenda

Here is what the site looked like in January
http://web.archive.org/web/201601291...shop/index.php
Old 10-11-2016, 05:11 PM
speedracerntrixie

To the best of my knowledge what you have was a kit build. The kits were a lite ply fuselage with pre sheeted foam wings, tail and turtle deck. I had built 3 of the 38% versions and the smaller ones are exact duplicates just smaller. The three cowl mounting tabs and angled motor box are dead giveaways as is the rather blunt canopy.
Old 10-12-2016, 01:11 PM
coleboom

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
To the best of my knowledge what you have was a kit build. The kits were a lite ply fuselage with pre sheeted foam wings, tail and turtle deck. I had built 3 of the 38% versions and the smaller ones are exact duplicates just smaller. The three cowl mounting tabs and angled motor box are dead giveaways as is the rather blunt canopy.
PS
this is a ZDZ 40 now it makes more sense that it is turning a 3 blade 18 x 10 prop I have read great things about this engine.
Old 10-01-2017, 01:44 PM
coleboom

Default Oops

I sold this to a buddy who played with and and sold it back... Long short... I am proud owner of this beautiful airplane. My friend didn't love it because it isn't really a 3d plane this is clearly a Pattern plane..

NOT columbo anderson.

no foam anywhere stick construction d tube

Anyone got any idea what it actually is?

definately ZDZ 40
Old 12-19-2018, 07:55 PM
coleboom

I have put a 55cc engine on this plane. before I started I found balance point of just the fuselage. when done swapping I checked again and I was still balanced. I flew this once before and it flew well. Just to be sure we found mac and tried to balance it at 30 percent from front edge at mac. This thing is WAY tail heavy. like 4.5 pounds on the front to balance it at the 30 percent mark
this doesn't seem possible. it doesn't even balance on the spar. tube actually. any comments. I Will attach some pics

The spot where the triangles meet the fuselage is just about where this balances when I put the wings on easily more than 30 percent even at the wing root...

see the red line just in back of where the red covering starts.. That is the predicted cg by using 30 percent at the MAC then extending from the 30 percent point on one wing 30 percent at the mac on the other... See the broken black line in back of that going to the bottom of the fuse? It is balancing about an inch in back of that... Like 40 percent of the wing root.

Any imput... could this plane need to balance that far back? was it designed to fly way tail heavy....
I am thinking about maybe putting a couple of pounds on the front... and flying it. come spring... I would Hate to destroy this plane... BUT WHY would it have flown so well before with it being this tail heavy?

I am posting a couple more pics these are before the engine change

Last edited by coleboom; 12-19-2018 at 07:57 PM.
Old 12-23-2018, 04:30 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

CG isn't one exact spot, it's a pretty wide range on a plane that size,, I agree that balance point seems a little aft,, but if you like the way it flies there,, leave it, I tend to set up my aerobatic planes with an aft CG,, just the way I like it too.

p.s.
I cant tell where they are, I assume they are all the way forward in the motor box,, but I would move my batteries up to the stand offs before I start adding weight

good luck
Old 12-23-2018, 03:42 PM
speedracerntrixie

After doing some searching it would appear you may have a Chip Hyde products Extra 330. I wasn't aware that he did a smaller version then the 34% pictured but he may have. The CHP ARF was very close to the Colombo Anderson kits in outline with the CHP being all built up. I have included a picture of the 34% so you can see the similarities. As far as CG is concerned, the red mark shown in your pictures looks to be a bit too far forward. I would set the CG maybe a 1/4" to 3/8" forward of where the multi colored triangle graphic meets the fuselage. That would give you a good safe starting point. When it comes to fine tuning the CG I am of the school that the airplane will safely fly with somewhat a large range but depending on your expectations on performance can get rather narrow. If you want a good IMAC sequence airplane, then the CG should be adjusted for good knife edge tracking. Too far forward and the airplane needs to carry up trim, in knife edge this translates to pulling towards the canopy. Likewise with too far back that would need down trim and then pull towards the gear in knife edge. I like to set up the airplane to track straight while in knife edge, this also ends up giving me a good break into spin entries as well. Too far back and the airplane will like to mush around and not stall cleanly. All this of course assumes that your thrust line and incidences are correct. My 38% version few best with the engine at zero up or down thrust, 3 degrees of right, wing set at .5 degrees positive and stab set to zero. The canopy rail is your zero reference. Hope this helps some.
Old 12-23-2018, 06:09 PM
coleboom

you are right. this pic came from WRAM 2004. PLANES PLUS AND ChipHyde.

thank you for the great advice. I decided to balance it on the joiner tube. this required about 14 oz on the front. batteries right behind the firewall. 55cc. probanly extreme. I cant do much 3d. so I am thinking just the basic aerobatic I can do. probably going 14 pitch and pretend it is old school pattern thank you everyone for the advice