Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

winter storage

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 04:18 PM
left seat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default winter storage

I have a question about winter storage. I currantly two aircraft that I fly off water at my cottage. The first one is a CarlGolberg 73in wing span Piper Cub running a FS 70 four stroke. The second is a Lanier 109 wing span Taylorcraft running a DLE 35cc for power. Over the summer I have built a shed at my cottage to house both the planes. In the fall, when I close down the cottage for winter I usually brought both planes home for the winter. As the temperature can reach -30 I was worried about leaving them in this extreme cold all winter. Still, it is quite a chore to bring them home for the winter and I was wondering if I'm actually doing the right thing. Besides the batteries would it be ok to leave them up there over the winter in that brutal cold? Or should I continue to bring them home like I usually do?
Old 09-07-2018, 06:24 AM
hsukaria

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't imagine that cold would be good for the wood and covering. The gas engine should be ok if you keep gas in the engine and a little in the tank. The glow engine I would oil the crap out of it. But I don't know what you can do to prevent damage to the airframe due to frost . You could try one year with a crappy plane that you don't care too much if it does get messed up. I have always stored mine in the basement.