Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

First 65cc 3d plane, need help with electronics!!

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

First 65cc 3d plane, need help with electronics!!

Old 07-17-2022, 01:34 PM
Knight4444

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First 65cc 3d plane, need help with electronics!!

As title says, accomplished pilot but never have jumped into gasoline aircraft. Just ordered a extreme flight 85 inch gamebird, powering it with a dle65cc motor. Rubbing 900oz torque savox brushless servos and a 10 channel spektrum reciever.

Question is this, hooking up the wiring and powering this plane. I'm gonna have a 2500mah life pack for my ignition on a remote switch. For my rx battery I'd like to run two separate packs as a redundancy. Planning on running (2) packs of 2s 2500mah lipo packs. Am I just plugging these two lipos into the rx? If it's 8.4 volts per rx pack then would I not have 16.8 volts total going into my reciever? Just confused on this as I was told to run 2 reciever packs. Just trying to keep my investment safe all while preventing my rx from going up in smoke.

Thank you all for the help.
Old 07-17-2022, 03:12 PM
A. J. Clark

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

With your setup I would go with a spektrum powersafe receiver. They already have two connectors to plug your batteries directly to the receiver. This would give you the two battery redundancy. You could use LiFe or Lipo. Otherwise you can use two batteries to your receiver as long as you don't connect them in series. I think the power safe receiver would be the most reliable.
Old 07-17-2022, 04:10 PM
Knight4444

Originally Posted by A. J. Clark
With your setup I would go with a spektrum powersafe receiver. They already have two connectors to plug your batteries directly to the receiver. This would give you the two battery redundancy. You could use LiFe or Lipo. Otherwise you can use two batteries to your receiver as long as you don't connect them in series. I think the power safe receiver would be the most reliable.
so if I go with the power safe is there anyway I can out safe on it? If no safe then I presume I'll have to get their 100 dollar gyro for stabilization?
Old 07-17-2022, 08:55 PM
tedsander

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts

Not to be snarky at all, but if you need SAFE and stabilization for that size plane, you aren't near as accomplished as you think.
You need to be always flying your current planes with all of that turned off, before moving up, no matter the conditions (within reason).
Bigger really does fly better, without the crutch. Any value they add is at most slightly incremental, and can be often detrimental to learning some of the higher level aerobatics with that size plane.

(And yes, I do have an Aura system in my big gasser, for that slight incremental benefit.)
Old 07-17-2022, 09:06 PM
Knight4444

Originally Posted by tedsander
Not to be snarky at all, but if you need SAFE and stabilization for that size plane, you aren't near as accomplished as you think.
You need to be always flying your current planes with all of that turned off, before moving up, no matter the conditions (within reason).
Bigger really does fly better, without the crutch. Any value they add is at most slightly incremental, and can be often detrimental to learning some of the higher level aerobatics with that size plane.

(And yes, I do have an Aura system in my big gasser, for that slight incremental benefit.)
No its not needed and I haven't flicked the safe switch in probably 5 years (average about 20 flights a week) but it's also a safety factor as about 4k is tied up into the plane. I'm an instructor for jets and 3d at my club and have been for some time. It's not a question of skill level, its a question of safety. For the airframe and the people on the ground. Asking about a safety option for any bird is never a bad thing. I only say this as I watched a sponsored pilot who came to our field for a demonstration loose orientation and hit the switch. After seeing someone who is considered professional use it, it occurred to le that its just a safety option. 2nd thing which made me ask the question, we had a pilot flying a 30cc p51 last year. He suffered a vertigo issue while his bird was up there. He hit safe and fell on the ground. Without safe that bird would have been a pile of balsa. no im not a professional but know my way around a 3d routine.

I guess it's not possible, was just curious if you can run it.
Old 07-18-2022, 07:53 AM
tedsander

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Knight4444
No its not needed and I haven't flicked the safe switch in probably 5 years (average about 20 flights a week) but it's also a safety factor as about 4k is tied up into the plane. I'm an instructor for jets and 3d at my club and have been for some time. It's not a question of skill level, its a question of safety. For the airframe and the people on the ground. Asking about a safety option for any bird is never a bad thing. I only say this as I watched a sponsored pilot who came to our field for a demonstration loose orientation and hit the switch. After seeing someone who is considered professional use it, it occurred to le that its just a safety option. 2nd thing which made me ask the question, we had a pilot flying a 30cc p51 last year. He suffered a vertigo issue while his bird was up there. He hit safe and fell on the ground. Without safe that bird would have been a pile of balsa. no im not a professional but know my way around a 3d routine.

I guess it's not possible, was just curious if you can run it.
Apologies then, and your points well made. I assumed (and we all know what that means) you were perhaps getting in a bit over your head due to the initial post and your newer status on the forum. A call to Spektrum may be in order as to recommendations and the ability to implement it in a plane with a higher servo count, and higher amp draw.
Old 07-18-2022, 01:32 PM
A. J. Clark

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Knight4444
so if I go with the power safe is there anyway I can out safe on it? If no safe then I presume I'll have to get their 100 dollar gyro for stabilization?
True there won't be any as3x / safe with a spektrum powersafe receiver. You would have to use a add on.
Old 07-19-2022, 03:02 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 358 Likes on 288 Posts

The current Power Safe receivers from Spektrum don't support the AS3000 plug in module. In short, if that's the way you want to go you can't do it with powersafe, even to get AS3X let alone SAFE

You can go with a Cortex or Igyro but that's not self leveling.

You have some options but none of them involve both powersafe and Safe.
Old 07-19-2022, 03:20 AM
Knight4444

Interesting. I ordered a power safe reciver for $320.. ouch lol. Also ordered the as3000 as my hobby shop called spektrum and said they work together flawlessly. I'll update if that isn't the case. Hope I didn't just waste 100 bucks on as3x lol
Old 07-19-2022, 03:27 AM
Knight4444

Ordered the ar20310t reciever. Says on the as3000 description that it works with this rx just fine. I think I'm good to go, maybe this ar20310t is a newer model, not sure. Happy to have power redundancy and as3x as our field generally is 15 to 20mph winds. Ya as far as safe, not worried about not having it. It isn't needed but figured worth asking as if it was 20 bucks more I'd throw it on. Mann. These gas planes really nickel dime you hahaha. Extreme flights saying it is around 2500 to setup one of their 85 inch planes.. I think they are referring to pre covid prices lol. I think I'm right around 3500 in at this point lmao
Old 07-19-2022, 03:28 AM
Knight4444

Ordered the ar20310t reciever. Says on the as3000 description that it works with this rx just fine. I think I'm good to go, maybe this ar20310t is a newer model, not sure. Happy to have power redundancy and as3x as our field generally is 15 to 20mph winds. Ya as far as safe, not worried about not having it. It isn't needed but figured worth asking as if it was 20 bucks more I'd throw it on. Mann. These gas planes really nickel dime you hahaha. Extreme flights saying it is around 2500 to setup one of their 85 inch planes.. I think they are referring to pre covid prices lol. I think I'm right around 3500 in at this point lmao
Old 07-19-2022, 04:32 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 358 Likes on 288 Posts

Yea sorry the AS3000 does work with that receiver,

I was talking about the latest power safe receivers with the orange IC3 plugs that integrate with the Smart batteries.

Still it's only AS3X stabilization, it's not panic recovery SAFE
Old 07-22-2022, 03:57 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
Yea sorry the AS3000 does work with that receiver,

I was talking about the latest power safe receivers with the orange IC3 plugs that integrate with the Smart batteries.

Still it's only AS3X stabilization, it's not panic recovery SAFE
I just recently received the newest 14 channel PS receiver and it doesn’t support the AS 3000, I also just received the new 20 channel PS receiver that does support the AS 3000.

Bob
Old 07-22-2022, 06:14 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I like to use these or a version of same.

https://www.chiefaircraft.com/smt-pe-11.html