Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Troy Built Models Carbon Fiber Accesories quality?

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Troy Built Models Carbon Fiber Accesories quality?

Old 11-16-2003, 04:17 AM
MarkNovack
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Troy Built Models Carbon Fiber Accesories quality?

Hi all,
I plan on building 35% and 40% Carden Edges this winter. I would like to avoid carrying unecessary weight and the idea of replacing the wing tube, stab tube, and landing gear seems like an easy way to win back a pound.

Before I go and spend a few hundred on these pieces, I was wanting some informed opinions on their carbon fiber work. There listed specs tell me that these pieces are sufficeint for plug in wings on a 747, but I would like to hear from somebody who has actually replaced these pieces.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 11-16-2003, 11:57 PM
3wExtra

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Troy Built Models Carbon Fiber Accesories quality?

mark, the wing tubes are awesome,[sm=thumbup.gif] the landing gear[sm=thumbdown.gif], is another beast. They delaminate no matter how good and soft you land.
One of the most common mistakes that I have noticed when a carbon fiber or fiber glass part is designed is the tendency to fabricate it in the same shape as it's metal or previous counterpart. This is especially evident in landing gear where the gear is molded to the same dimensions as its metal counterpart. By making a composite landing gear flat one can speed up the production process but you loose out on rigidity and weight savings. When a composite landing gear is constructed with carbon or glass fabric bagged into a female mold resembling a gutter all of the fiber that is running the chord of the gear is adding weight and contributing no rigidity. Since the gear is flat, rigidity is also compromised. The solution to this problem is to make a carbon fiber gear that has a teardrop cross section with unidirectional tow running the length of the gear. By creating a teardrop cross section you increase the strength and rigidity of the gear while lowering it's weight. When the gear is molded with a teardrop cross section only one can be made at a time due to the mold configuration thereby compromising production speed and simplicity. Carbon cloth or Kevlar can be added to the leg of the gear where the axle is mounted and where it is mounted to the fuse to offer splitting resistance.
Old 11-17-2003, 05:49 PM
shill
My Feedback: (22)

I have never had a problem out of the gear Troybuilt sells. The only failure has been due to landings that would of flattened out aluminum gear. Some people always say they made a nice smooth landings and then the gear just delaminated. They also forget to tell you what the previous landings were like.
Also Mark could you please email me or PM me on here as I have a ZN Line Extra 330 to build and I would like to ask you some questions because there is no real instructions with the kits.

Thanks Steve
Old 11-17-2003, 05:52 PM
flyinrazrback
My Feedback: (69)

Graphtech has just finished making a different design for the larger carbon gears that has something differnent in them, kevlar, or something of such. You can look at them on his website, graphtechrc.com, these new gears are supposed to be better than the previous ones and he makes them for carden.
Old 11-17-2003, 07:01 PM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

I love there landing gear that Graphtec RC/ Troy Built Models make. I recently had a hard landing and the only thing that happened is a broken prop and ripped the gear out. The landing gear took the stress very well.
Old 11-17-2003, 09:36 PM
3wExtra

they might work for a while, but techincally speaking they are not how they should be built. where have you seen something like these landing gear on real airplanes? they are no structurally sound. period. they could last for a while, but hat still does not maken them right.
Old 11-17-2003, 10:50 PM
Mrt1750
My Feedback: (1)

I have to agree with FC26 I have had graphtech gear delaminate after one hard landing but that wasn't the worst part the gear flexed enough on a long take off for the prop to strike. The pilot has over 30 years of comp. flying or it would have been a complete loss, he was able to bring it around but it had 1/3 of a prop and landed hard. The only damage was that the gear delaminated it did not ripe out. These gears are light but they flex like springs not good for landing gear in my opinion.

Thanks
Mike
Old 11-18-2003, 09:38 AM
3wExtra

I do not understand why people take things this personal, I am not bashing troybuilt. I think they are good people, however not everyting they sell is top notch, just like other shops. i think their carbon tubes are first quality i have seen planes crash with their tubes, destroy the plane (not mine) and the only thing in one piece is the tube. very good product!
Old 11-18-2003, 10:14 AM
A320driver

I will go right along with FC26. Troy built wing tubes are great, had one for over 2 years, the landing gear does exactly what he says it does, same for just about every set of carbon gear I have seen. It is the side loads that seem to be the killer when it comes to carbon gear.
Old 11-18-2003, 02:47 PM
Jerry K

Just something to think about. First let me say I have just received my first carbon wing tube but have not flown it yet but I have bent two alum. tubes in the past. This pertains to both wing tubes and landing gear I want my damage to be easily repaired. I would rather replace a wing tube than tear out the sockets in the wing. As far as the landing gear goes I would rather straighten out a bent alum. gear or replace it then repair a torn out landing gear.

Jerry Kirwan
Old 11-18-2003, 02:52 PM
RCJones

So is there anyone that makes them properly?
Old 11-18-2003, 02:53 PM
3wExtra

not yet... that i know