Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

35% hardware

Old 01-06-2004, 07:35 AM
Mike Bell
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 35% hardware

Picked up a 35% edge that needed some work a while back and I will be needing hardware soon.
I don't want to be a cheapskate but don't want to go overboard either.
Any suggestions? This is the first big bird I have rigged.

Mike
Old 01-06-2004, 09:10 AM
Bama
My Feedback: (18)

Default RE: 35% hardware

Hi,
Have you checked out Dubro's new HD control horns? I used them on my 27% Cap and I think they are way overkill on it. I would feel very comfortable using it on a 35%. They have a dual control horn/ pull-pull package for the rudder too. I used the Dubro horns and ball links with Hangar 9 pro-links connecting them. They were pretty reasonably priced, I think it was $6-8 for a pack of 2 control horns and the pull-pull horn with cables and linkage was about $10-12.
Hope this helps,
Alan
Old 01-06-2004, 02:59 PM
Hank68

Hey Mike,
I used the Dubro HD horns on my 33% Katana with ball links and titanium turnbuckles.My brother is using them on his 43% Ultimate.They are plenty strong enough and I like the way they look.They are fully adjustable so you can dial them.

Hank
Old 01-06-2004, 08:20 PM
Stick Jammer

You don't want to skimp on hardware for a 1/3 SA plane. If you don't have nice, slop free, reliable linkages and servos, flutter will kill the plane in short order. As far as linkages go, basically if you use anything that is in line with the original RocketCity stuff you'll be good to go. Spend as much as you can afford on any servos you need.
Old 01-06-2004, 11:56 PM
capthis
My Feedback: (67)

Some one tipped me off to a cheaper alternative for control rods. I have used the H9 prolinks with good success but they do get expensive when you buy several. This other method is simply a 4-40 all thread rod from dubro. This all thread rod is inserted through a carbon fiber rod, with some medium ca or poly glue to where you have threads sticking out on both ends. I have got these rods on the rudder of my aerorks edge, and are holding up fine. I have also used this method on smaller planes with only an inch of threads glued into each end of the carbon rod to keep them lighter but I wouldn't trust this on a 35%er

Maybe most people know of this setup but I thought it was pretty ingenious!
Old 01-07-2004, 12:22 AM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

www.sure-link.com

www.troybuiltmodels.com

www.centralhobbies.com

That should get you off to a good start[8D]