Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

29% Katana-S ARF---Aeroworks!!!

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

29% Katana-S ARF---Aeroworks!!!

Old 12-20-2005, 08:42 PM
SfADAM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 29% Katana-S ARF---Aeroworks!!!

MSC Finally I “maidened” my Katana, so far so good, It handles very good, stall straight ahead no sign of tip dropping. I trimmed few clicks right aileron. I need to side balance, I suspect that is tip heavy.

As I stated before I do not trust the servos (Hitec 5645) I was moving the ailerons side to side and when I move left the ailerons returned to zero, but when I moved to right the aileron came almost 1/8” shorter of neutral. When I Use the elevator in flight the plane handles well but its seems erratic does not return to neutral. Am planning to replace then with Hitec HS-5955TG.

I did some modifications, I lightened the engine box I save 3 Oz in the nose and 1 oz of lead in the tail for 3 Oz.. I used 11 1/8” dowels in the fire wall. I just got the carbon fiber goodies from TBM that would help a lot. Here are some pictures of details. I placed the LIPOL 2 cell batt and throttle servo as far back as possible to help me balance the plane Still a little nose heavy nee to play with weight placement.

I used 1/4"-20 nylon left over from previous planes to hold the wings, I glued with JB weld after taping the root rib and making some slot axially in the rods to have better surface for the weld, as nut am using a ¼-20 blind nut threaded in reverse, that way is providing a bigger contact surface.

To avoid damage in the servo cables at the receiver (Multiplex IDP 7CH) I used large silicone tubing which I cut axially see picture When I need to hold few cables I used Ty rap with a piece of silicone.

For the elevator push rod I used all thread 4-40 with Central Hobbies carbon rod on the out side with 2 4-40 nylon insert from Nelson Hobbies. I could not find in my shop the right size H9 Titanium pro-link. It worked fine.

The Engine was performing as always I ran the first two flight without cowling It spun 6500 RPM with a MA Scimitar 22*10 prop It hoover at ½ throttle. After I installed the cowl I could not get full power from It I suspect that the velocity stack and the cowl geometry are causing some siphoning and pulling the fuel out of the carb, traces of oil in the wing root seems to validate this theory (did you have similar problems, are you using a stack?), I could not test further ran out of time. Next week end will be busy at the field. You’re right Christmas day 95 F, we´re almost on the equator and at sea level.

I will post more pictures next time
[img][/img]
ORIGINAL: MSC

Thanks SfADAM, I have the tank sitting on 1/2 inch foam and is right in front of the wing tube. No problems with vibration (fuel foaming etc.) but the G-62 isn't the smoothest engine out there. My carb ended up being way too wore out to have it rebuilt. So, last night I had to order a new one. Should be in this Friday and hope to be at the field on Sat to fly. I bought this engine and plane (Cap 232) used from a "friend" and it turned out to be a flying tank (it weighted 22 1/2 lbs) and the engine never would idle very well. Was told that it was because he did not "tune" it. Well, long story short, got what I deserved for not really checking over this one before the cash changed hands. SfADAM post some pics of your build.

Sure hope weather is good this weekend.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57861.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	373420   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh17041.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	373421   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61713.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	373422   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cy77133.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	373423   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc78576.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	373424   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wq43680.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	373425  
Old 12-21-2005, 03:33 PM
MSC
My Feedback: (5)

scfadam, I am not running a stack on the G-62 and I have not had a problem with it. I don't have an RPM gauge so I'm not sure what the RPM's are but it pulls this plane like a rocket. In fact it will go straight up out of site in no time. I got rid of the back plate on the engine and went straight from the rear of the engine to the firewall. I have 1 1/2 standoffs on it now. I will take a picture of the new set up this weekend. I hope to get to the field this Friday afternoon and some time over the weekend to fly some more. Need to get my trims right. Still haven't had enough time to get it done..

Looks good so far. I am surprized about the Hitec 5645 not working for you. Are they binding in some way to keep them from coming back to neutral? Mine are fine although I would not mind having a 5955 on the rudder for more strength to hold a knife edge. Good luck and we'll catch up some more later.
Old 12-25-2005, 11:38 AM
cobia
My Feedback: (30)

MSC merry Christmas got the Kat she looks good everything is perfect going over ever thing with 30 minute epxy This plane will be put to the extreme limits of every manuver including full throttle blenders lets see how well Aeroworks are built.There will be Vidio and pics and probably crashes .Roger Barnes Team Wild Sky.
Old 12-26-2005, 07:41 PM
H.Dale
My Feedback: (3)

I have finished and test flown my Katana. It is pretty much a standard setup. DA50, one rudder servo up front, two 2300ma NiMh batteries attached to the motor box. It is still tail heavy. With this setup it balances at about 5 1/4". I have read where most of them with a DA50 are a little tail heavy but by moving the batteries the problem was usually solved. I am wondering if I am missing something? I don't mind my plane being a little tail heavy but this is way to much. The flight was a real thrill especially when you have to give it down to land.

Any suggestions would really be appreciated.

Hal
Old 12-27-2005, 11:04 AM
go vertical
My Feedback: (1)

add weight until it balances
Old 12-27-2005, 04:56 PM
xmarkman60

my hatch is warped where it joins the turtle deck . off by a good three eighths of an inch, any body else have that problem ? i wonder if they will give me a new one?
Old 12-27-2005, 07:43 PM
cobia

H dale what servoes did you use on elev.I was going to go with Hitec 5625 but weight 2.1 oz the fut 3050 is 1.6oz thats 1 oz less in the tail I think its 5 to 1 ratio so if you loose 1 ounce in the tail thats transfers 5 to the front and that means you loose 6 oz off your planes total weight.becouse you dont have to add weight to the front. I could be wrong.but it worked on my edge. if it is possible check your ballance with wings off by useing your fingers in wingtube .pick the plane up see if the tail is about 15 degrees down.what was your final weight RTF.
Old 12-28-2005, 05:54 PM
SfADAM

Mine was warped too. I tack glued the back of the canopy to the turtle deck and glue the canopy with RC56. I covered the tutle deck in the canopy area with masking tape worked just fine
ORIGINAL: xmarkman60

my hatch is warped where it joins the turtle deck . off by a good three eighths of an inch, any body else have that problem ? i wonder if they will give me a new one?
Old 12-28-2005, 10:40 PM
MSC

xmarkman60, mine also was warped and had to tape the canopy down first and then glued the cover on the deck area. It works but wished it was better fitting.

I flew the plane last week with the new standoffs and definately have to make more adjustments to the motor mount. I hope to fly tomorrow PM to see if adding additional spacers help.

I did not have a ballance issue with my plane. However I'm running a G-62 up front so it weights more to start off with. Did have to move the batteries to the rear though to keep it from being too nose heavy.

good luck all.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:07 PM
cobia

Hi MSC how is the weather down there .does the Kat want to float on landing.
Old 01-01-2006, 12:09 PM
MSC

cobia, Weather is a little windy but will be flying in an hour or so. The Kat does float and it seems like I have to fly it down. Haven't flown it in a while but did get the motor spacers in last week and will try it now to see how it works. Will post later tonight / tomorrow.

Happy New Year to All.

MSC
Old 01-02-2006, 08:32 PM
cstevec

MSC, were you actually having a problem with the motor spacers you had or did you just not trust em? I use delryn (ever how you spell it) for spacers in two of my birds & it has lasted a loooonng time. Cuts down on the vibration some too. If I remember right you had nylon? which is very similar but just a little softer I think.

I wish I had time to work on my Kat. Every time I think I'm gonna have a few days, something else comes up. Hopefully I'll get it together by spring.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:33 PM
MSC

cstevec, good to hear from you, been a while. Yep I decided to go with Alum spacers instead of nylon. After two flights I checked the bolts and every one of them were beginning to loosen. So, decided to get that problem resolved. Once again, weather is preventing us from getting to the field.

Take care and hope you get the time you need to finish it up.

later
Mike
Old 01-09-2006, 10:53 PM
cobia

MSC did you have problems with wings going together at the fuse.
Old 01-12-2006, 04:00 PM
MSC

As a matter of fact I do. I went with a carbon fiber rod and it's very tight on the left wing (looking at the rear of plane). I took some emery cloth with my drill and sanded the wing tube and I've sanded on the carbon fiber. The last 6 inches getting the wing to the fuse is very tight and I have to be careful not to force too much as I'm sure the fuse will crack if not careful.

I've flown a couple of times since replacing the engine standoffs and am now pretty close with the engine offset. I've gotten all surfaces to 0 subtrim now. The weather has been very windy and the last flight I made last week I landed too hard on the tail wheel and it snapped the metal rod right off. Looks like someone took a saw to it, such a clean cut. Ordered new one and won't be able to fly until I get that in. So, if the weather is OK this weekend I'll probably fly the UCDO and the Extra.....

Talk to you later.
Mike
Old 01-15-2006, 07:04 PM
cobia

Msc I have A Zenoha question my G38 Is kicking the hell outame .I choke wiyh my finger flip till i get fuel to the carb turn on switch it either kicks back or runs backwards a couple seconds. to rich or to lean flooded need advice.gona fly again tomorow .Roger
Old 01-19-2006, 05:43 PM
MSC

cobia,

I'm by no means an expert and at the expense of being wrong here I think there is more information that is needed. Is this engine set up with electronic ignition or is it CDI? If electronic, you may have to look at retarding the pickup just a tad. If it's CDI you really should be using a spring starter or at least a thick leather glove.

That above being said, I have an Electronic ignition on mine and I still use a glove. Seen a very good friend get a kick back that almost took off his fingers. It was cold outside and man, he hollered like a new born kid. It hurt just looking at it. So, my advice, wear a glove even if you think you know your engine.....

Good luck to you. I am sure there are many other "more experienced" modelers that can definately lend some assistance..

Later
Mike
Old 01-20-2006, 01:12 AM
cobia

Leaking fuel valve thenI would flood it and start flipping .Know I have A big chicken stick .they do change when its colder.just got the Kat wings to go tight with fuse had to sand wing tube for 2 days had to drill antirotion pins loose and realaign them but the wings and stabs are going together now these planes should hold up to some rough hard 3D stuff .find out next weekend.Roger
Old 01-20-2006, 11:22 AM
adrian-RCU

finished mine today

ZDZ50ng - hi tec 5645's and 5955 - 22x8 bolly - TBM lions - all up 17.2 lbs

will test fly tomorrow
Old 01-20-2006, 02:23 PM
MSC

Good Luck to all. I'm going out tomorrow with mine as well. Finally got the tail wheel back in place. Haven't had calm weather in a while now. I'm hoping tomorrow will be less than 10 mph winds so I can spend some quality time setting it up.

Wing tube is a pain in the rear....

Later guys
Mike
Old 01-22-2006, 08:39 PM
cobia

Adrian how did the Kat fly.MSC did you hover that Kat yet.Ill test mine next weekend Iwillget some pics out in A few days the Kats do look good.
Old 01-22-2006, 10:25 PM
cstevec

Adrian, how does your ZDZ like that Bolly prop? My 50 prefers a 23X10 Mezlyck for best all around performance but does well with a 22X10 as well, just turns faster.

Well, starting tomorrow I am going to get back to work on the Kat. I need to put a couple of color stripes on the fuse & then do the assembly. I still have the wrecked one lying in the corner of my shop & I can't stand to look at it any more. I promised myself I wouldn't dissasemble it until I needed the parts for the new one & I think I can finally find the time to work on it so Hopefully by the end of the week I can make it look like a plane.
Old 01-25-2006, 12:06 PM
cstevec

Well, decided to play hookie from work this morning seeing as how its my birthday. I finished up the covering last night & this morning this morning & now I am enlarging the cannister tunnel for my can. The ZDZ 60 cannister combo worked perfect in the last one so I figured why change a good thing. As soon as I finish this I can mount the gear then build the engine box. Hopefully by the end of the day she will be in a good enough condition so I can take some pictures. The covering came out pretty nice & since I already did one of these the rest of the assy. should go pretty quick.
Old 01-25-2006, 05:27 PM
cstevec

Since today is my birthday the wife has decided to take me out to dinner so I guess I'm not gonna get as much done as I had hoped. I did acomplish quite a bit though. Landing gear is installed, engine box is built, pipe mount is complete, engine mount blind nuts are installed. Not to bad for a days work. All the hard stuff is behind me now.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:13 AM
cobia

Cstevec did you get A chance to temp ZDZ 60 if so what did you get I have A ZDZ 50 mounted on my Kat now but if its going to be around 17 lbs I my go with A ZDZ 60 or Brison 4.2 How much prop Clearance with 24 inch.thanks fo the info cstevec.Roger

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.