Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

29% Katana-S ARF---Aeroworks!!!

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

29% Katana-S ARF---Aeroworks!!!

Old 06-28-2004, 01:25 PM
CCDave
My Feedback: (53)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 29% Katana-S ARF---Aeroworks!!!

ORIGINAL: Fastlif

CCDave, I am not sure about Wildhare and how they secure the wings, but I was under the impression that this was how most big planes keep the wings on.
Fastlif,

I assembled a WildHare Extra Special for a friend just before building the Katana. That plane is much higher quality the fit and finish was alot better... It was also $100 cheaper! As for the wing retention on the WH it uses a wing bolt in the root backed up by a cotter pin it one of the anti-rotation pins.

I like the plane for the most part, I just expected a lot more for the money considering what I had just seen from WildHare...
Old 06-29-2004, 08:56 AM
Fastlif
My Feedback: (2)

CCDave,
I see what you are talking about. Yeah my wings are a real pain to get on, going to do some modding to them sometime. Each time they get a bit better tho, wearing in I guess.
Like the plane, there are tidbits to gripe about, but I think most any plane has that. So would you say you would buy a Wildhare next time? They look pretty darn good to me. The cheaper part does not hurt either.
Old 06-29-2004, 10:24 AM
avionics12
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: CCDave

The third flight got off to a bad start… For some reason it wanted to roll hard left and dive… I was fighting her hard until I could get it trimmed out. Once I got it trimmed I flew for about 15 minutes before attempting to land… It was at that point I figured out what was wrong and why it was squirrelly… As I made my first approach it began to balloon and stall after numerous attempts to land, I finally got her on the ground…

I was witness to this carnage in waiting. I am still amazed that Dave got this A/C down in one piece. The first two flights "seemed" to go OK due to the newness of the A/C to Dave. The third flight was a testament to pilot skills. Dave continually evaluated the A/C condition, decided on a plan of action and "talked" the A/C down without any damage. The multiple stalls on final would have taxed even the best pilot. Way to go Dave ! Remember that your friendship dues are coming up soon!!
Old 06-29-2004, 12:34 PM
CCDave

ORIGINAL: avionics12
Remember that your friendship dues are coming up soon!!
You are right!!! Thanks for reminding me. Just cut me a check Friday!

Fastlif,

If I buy another 50cc airplane I would most likely get a WildHare. I actually have my eye on a AirWild 35% Edge for my next project... Only time will tell, but I can say if I could do it over again I would have bought the WildHare.
Old 06-29-2004, 02:10 PM
Fastlif

Well hopefully they will come out soon with a Katana. I wonder what kind of hardware they come with, seeing as how Aeroworks comes with none, and the instructions are useless, and o yeah the stickers are stuck to the baggy, I pretty much have written off that being useful.
Maybe this winter I can talk Santa into another one. For now I am happy with what I have, and glad I have a Katana. I must say I love the DA, holy cow, what an engine. Servos I am still chasing a jitter in them. Once I find the problem there, I will totally happy with the package.
Old 06-29-2004, 04:00 PM
ilrcflyboy
My Feedback: (5)

I like this plane quite a bit, regardless of the few "ARF deficiencies" that it came with.

My next giant will be the Extreme Flight RC 87" Yak when it's available. I chose the katana because I had sold every plane that I owned to buy a giant and didn't want to go through the flying season without one. I've been told that the Yak will include hardware, AND WING BAGS standard...... Oh yeah...
Old 06-29-2004, 04:36 PM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

..... And CF wing tube, tail tube and landing gear.
Pipe tunnel built in.
15.5 pounds with a DA-50 and Tuned pipe.
1450 sqin of wing area.
Old 06-29-2004, 10:18 PM
rcflyer48
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Discussing Wildhare vs. Aeroworks.
I was also considering a Wildhare and called them. They said that their extra special was not anywhere near as light as the aeroworks and was beefed up to take the heavier engines. They said that with a DA50 the extra special would be between 17 and 18 pounds. They recommended that I buy the Aeroworks for my altitude and needs. That was classy and helpful. The Wildhare may be great for sea level but I live at 5,000 feet in Colorado and lightness and power is what I need for my IMAC backup plane. I realize the wildhare's are very nice but I wanted a light performing plane. I know the Aeroworks team and have found them fair and helpful. I bought the Katana. I spoke to Sean who flew the prototype. I also bought their hardware kit as well. Haven't started building it yet. Your comments have been very helpful. Thanks.

Neil
Old 06-29-2004, 11:31 PM
wgeffon

Ok,

ILRCFLYBOY and I promised videos of his Katana. We didnt get much footage that day but we will on Wednesday.
I will post it here once its up.
Old 06-30-2004, 05:53 AM
Fastlif

RCFlyer,
Good point on your altitude and what Wild Hard did for you, instead of snowballing you. Sounds like their planes will be perfect when/if DA brings out its new DA75, read some stuff that they are working it now. So time will tell.
I love the Aeroworks lightness, for sure, used to fun fly planes, so light is nice. Like I said in previous post, working on it was fun, just you want to fly it so bad that it stinks being in the shop. I would love to build another come winter. Personally I find the 50 size just right, easy to work on, easy gas, easy number of servos and gear, and way easier to haul around. So I hope that 50 size planes continue to come to the market.
Cant wait to fly it again this weekend.
Old 06-30-2004, 07:52 AM
ilrcflyboy

ORIGINAL: rcflyer48

I was also considering a Wildhare and called them. They said that their extra special was not anywhere near as light as the aeroworks and was beefed up to take the heavier engines. They said that with a DA50 the extra special would be between 17 and 18 pounds. They recommended that I buy the Aeroworks for my altitude and needs. That was classy and helpful. The Wildhare may be great for sea level but I live at 5,000 feet in Colorado and lightness and power is what I need for my IMAC backup plane. I realize the wildhare's are very nice but I wanted a light performing plane. I know the Aeroworks team and have found them fair and helpful. I bought the Katana. I spoke to Sean who flew the prototype. I also bought their hardware kit as well. Haven't started building it yet. Your comments have been very helpful. Thanks.

Neil
Neil,

I purchased the hardware kit as well. I threw away the giant scale dubro hinges because of the extensive routing that would have needed to be done on the leading and trailing edges for the circular portion of the hinge and used Robart hinges instead. I also have a lot of socket head screws and blind nuts left over after building. I didn't use the cannisters so there are no bolts in the bottom of the fuse. I also used Micro Fasteners servo screws on the cowl and the hatch in the rear of the plane. Also, I chose to use a 4-40 threaded rod for the servo to aileron connection since the run was extremely short. My original intention was to use Central Hobbies carbon fiber tubes with titanium ends, but they were way to long for this run. That setup was used on the elevator halves though. I suck at soldering (and gasket cutting for that matter) so I didn't want to use the solder clevises that were included. Ball links were used at the servo arms instead. The axles in the hardware package are great, as long as you don't shorten them too much in the pants.
Old 06-30-2004, 12:31 PM
CCDave

ORIGINAL: rcflyer48

Neil
RCFlyer48,

I understand where you are coming from but in this case you are incorrect. The total weight of the plane isn’t nearly as relevant as the wing loading. Lets compare these configurations:

WildHare 28% Extra Special
DA-50
Menz 22x8 Prop
7 - JR 8611s : 1- Throttle, 2 – Rudder, 1 each aileron, 1 each elevator half
1 – JR Standard High torque servo: Choke
SWB Rudder tray
3 ½ Tru-Turn spinner
1- Futaba 149DP RX
2x 6 volt 2150mAh Rx batteries
1x 6 volt 1650mAh ignition battery

All up weight = 19 pounds 4 ounces
Wing Area = 1365
Wing loading = 32.49oz per square foot

AeroWorks 29% Katana-S
DA-50
MSC 22x8 Prop
5 - Hitec HS-5945’s: 1 rudder, 1 each aileron, 1 each elevator half
1 – HS-525 Throttle
1 – HS 545 Choke
3 ½ Carbon Fiber spinner
1- Futaba 149DP RX
2- 6 volt 2000mAh Rx batteries
1- 4.8 volt 1650mAh ignition battery

All up weight= 18 pounds 4 ounces
Wing Area = 1270
Wing loading = 33.10 oz. per square foot.

Both planes were assembled with the goal of keeping weight to a minimum with the given components. I would be willing to guess that if both planes had used the exact same components that they would have come out to practically the same weight.

Even though the WH is a pound heavier it still has lighter wing loading which is the key to a 3D aircraft. Again I think the AeroWorks Katana is a good plane it is just that the WildHare is a better value.

You can take this information how you will, but these are facts based on real world experience. I have assembled and flown both aircraft and if you compare them the WildHare is the best overall value the ARF is cheaper by $100 the wing loading is lighter and the quality is far better!! Not to mention the Instruction manual for the Katana is practically useless! I would rather have a manual give me every minute detail than leave me guessing about almost everything. Yes the AeroWork is designed for advanced builders… I would say I am a fairly experienced builder, but this manual is bad…

I do like my Katana and I’m sure it will be a great flier now that I have resolved the balance problem, but now that I have had experience with them I will never buy another AeroWorks product….

Take it for what you will...
Old 06-30-2004, 10:32 PM
papadale
My Feedback: (6)

rcflyer

I have a wild hare edge 540 28%, I'm at 4500 feet here in Salt Lake. The Plane weighs 17 lbs with a zdz 60 and flys really well. It also lands at a walk no hint of a stall. I doubt you would have had any trouble at 500 ft. Glad you like your Katana though.

Good luck Flyin
Dale
Old 07-01-2004, 06:04 AM
Fastlif

CC DAVE,
Did you seen any problem in the WildHare using the 8611 servos? Just wondering, I have them in my Katana, and so far, they are my only "real" complaint or worry. Bad jitter problem, like servo is looking for center, then it kicks itself, control surface waves about an inch or so, then it goes to center. All brand new gear, tried different recievers, FM that is, extensions, no extensions, batteries, 4.8-6volt, and the story goes...
Now I am down to trying a friends PCM reciever tonight, and maybe RF filters? But I have never used these on a toy plane, have on real helis, so this is new to me. Range check is fine, I flew it, fine, you can see and feel the jitter, so its very dissapointing after spending mucho on these servos. Another reason why I am begging for help, so far JR has not been much help. When I called, guy said don't worry about it, just fly it. ?? Trying to get some help from Danny on the forum here. I cant believe this gripe has not been seen before with all the 8611's out there.
Any help by anyone is very appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-01-2004, 07:20 AM
ilrcflyboy

We put at least six more flights on the Katana last night. Video was shot, but not worth anything. Wayne Geffon put the plane through its paces after a brief "dial in" on the controls. With anything not attached to a control surface moved to the front of the motor box, we're still tail heavy. Going to (sniff, sniff) ADD about three ounces of weight to the nose. There are no stability problems at all, but the plane flies level inverted when it should need a bit of down elevator to track.

Wayne has this thing setup nicely. The mixes are right and the Katana does the IMAC pattern OK. 3-D is rock solid too (Wayne says). Like anything else though, if you have the right person wiggling the sticks, it's all good.

I'd have to give Aeroworks a thumbs up on this one. Nice plane.
Old 07-01-2004, 08:40 AM
wgeffon

ORIGINAL: ilrcflyboy

With anything not attached to a control surface moved to the front of the motor box, we're still tail heavy. Going to (sniff, sniff) ADD about three ounces of weight to the nose. There are no stability problems at all, but the plane flies level inverted when it should need a bit of down elevator to track.

The CG is fine now and there would be nothing wrong with leaving it where it is but knowing what Brian wants to do with this plane a little farther forward will help. Moving the CG forward wont affect 3D on this plane at all.

Really nice plane from what I saw yesterday.
Old 07-01-2004, 09:11 AM
CCDave

ORIGINAL: Fastlif

CC DAVE,
Did you seen any problem in the WildHare using the 8611 servos? Just wondering, I have them in my Katana, and so far, they are my only "real" complaint or worry. Bad jitter problem, like servo is looking for center, then it kicks itself, control surface waves about an inch or so, then it goes to center. All brand new gear, tried different recievers, FM that is, extensions, no extensions, batteries, 4.8-6volt, and the story goes...
Now I am down to trying a friends PCM reciever tonight, and maybe RF filters? But I have never used these on a toy plane, have on real helis, so this is new to me. Range check is fine, I flew it, fine, you can see and feel the jitter, so its very dissapointing after spending mucho on these servos. Another reason why I am begging for help, so far JR has not been much help. When I called, guy said don't worry about it, just fly it. ?? Trying to get some help from Danny on the forum here. I cant believe this gripe has not been seen before with all the 8611's out there.
Any help by anyone is very appreciated. Thanks.

Fastlif,

The 8611's are rock solid on my friends plane... There is the normal buzz but that is it! We used all AirWild HD twisted extensions... Everything needs to be HD with a plane this size... I believe they use 22 guage wire... You might want to post in the radio forum and maybe get some expert advice...

Hope that helps
Old 07-01-2004, 11:56 AM
Fastlif

Yeah I did, not much going there with help. I have JR gold extensions. even if I go direct, same thing. I am using a Regular Futaba FM reciever tho, I hope tonight by trying a PCM things get much better. If not, then I am worried I got some bad servos. Everything else has been changed swapped or looked at. I see on the plane you set up, it was PCM, so that just may be my ticket. Cross fingers and drink a Molson that it is!

For peets sake I want to fly the beast some more.

Thanks CCDave.
Old 07-01-2004, 12:37 PM
ilrcflyboy

Wgeffon pieced together some video from yesterday. Most of the flights are with him at the sticks.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please right-click and save
to preserve bandwidth

http://www.sirs.cc/video/Katana.WMV

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-01-2004, 01:37 PM
Fastlif

Cool. Good Job.
Old 07-05-2004, 07:44 PM
ilrcflyboy

Default 29% Katana-S ARF---Flight Updates

We continue to get this plane dialed in. It's a great flyer and numerous pilots with years of experience in the hobby are offering their praise for the flight characterics of the Katana. Of course, with each flight comes new obstacles.

After our first dial-in attempts, I had to add 1.5 oz of weight right behind the firewall in addition to the battery relocation. I also added a washer to further enhance the right thrust since the plane required a small amount of rudder to keep it climbing vertically.

Today, after flight number 17 today, I brought the katana home. I found that one of the dowels in the hatch came loose (actually went inside the hatch)--this has been mentioned before. Additionally, the brass tubes that the hatch hold down screws go threw slipped and prevented the hatch from opening without a little "encouragement".

Also, one of the metal rings that the wing's anti-rotation pins lock into came out. So, still some minor work after 17.

Otherwise, I'm really enjoying this airplane.
Old 07-06-2004, 07:25 AM
Fastlif

Well I flew mine Saturday over and over. man it takes forever to go thru gasoline. Anyway, I solved my darn jitter problem, by using a PCM reciever it took it all away. Trying to go cheap with FM just did not cut it. I got that fixed and fixed my wheel pant last week for the second time, it keeps snapping the bolts off. So saturday I was flying, I installed one hardened bolt, and one stock bolt in wheel pant, well, the stock one snapped. I am not so sure what it causing it to snap, but I am about sick of messing with it. I have plenty of clearance on the back side, so not like its hitting the ground. I will try to fix that this week some time.
I really enjoy flying it, especially with no glitches, thats nice. Mine is also a touch past the cg they call for, but seems to be just fine, about a half inch further back. So far everything seems to be staying tight and together, the covering in the sun got some bubbles, but what you going to do?
Flying, well it takes some work to hold a good clean knife edge, thats about my only gripe. I am used to working at knife edge anyway, so its not that big a deal. I did some flat spins with it, inverted and upright, that was pretty cool. Still working on getting a real good feeling for it, seems you can hoss it around quite well without worry of it snapping on you, on low rate elevator that is. So thats a good feeling, loops are real nice, even without flaperons. As time goes on, start playing around more and more with it and some programming mixes on flaperons and such.
I love to fly it. I just wish now I had a good week to have off work to just go fly fly and fly some more.
Old 07-06-2004, 08:56 AM
ilrcflyboy

Glad you're enjoying the Katana too Fastlif. Right from the start I had a rudder to elevator mix for knife edge flight. I'll have to look at my radio to see what we ended up at. I know that there is a bit of aileron mixed in, so knife edge is easy.

Found last night while cleaning up that one wing half has some interesting wear. Where the hold-down bolt sits, the sheeting is pressed in a small amount. The aileron on the same wing has a 3" crack in the sheeting behind the leading edge stock. Nothing major, but will need to be repaired. If only I had Cub Yellow on hand, or even within 60 miles.

When I installed the wings on the table, they were snug against the fuselage. After a few flights, this seems to have changed. I don't know if it is a humidity issue or what, but I now have at least 1/16" gap between the wings and the fuse. May have to rotate the wing tube 90 degrees and have a mark for humid and then non-humid flying. Who knows.
Old 07-06-2004, 10:22 PM
toddh
My Feedback: (6)

Hey Brian hows the new exh. gasket working out?(ha ha ha)It was good to see that someone else besides me got to work on a plane at the field that day.The plane looks like it is going to be a keeper.

Todd
Old 07-06-2004, 10:59 PM
ilrcflyboy

The new DA issued gasket works great. Wgeffon walks around with the questionable gasket in his pocket every time he goes flying, just to remember how great I really am.

I'm certainly enjoing this airplane. I informed Aeroworks of that today.
Tonight, we repaired the short section of broken aileron sheeting where it had been joined together, in addition to Pro-bonding the sleeves on the antirotation pins back onto the wings. I also had some loose hinges so I've shot hinge glue back into the holes. With my luck, the aileron won't move tomorrow.

Hopefully putting six more flights on the Katana tomorrow.
Come over and fly some time Todd. We're getting together for IMAC practice July 17 in Bloomington. You're welcome to fly...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.