Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
 What servos for a GP Lancair? >

What servos for a GP Lancair?

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

What servos for a GP Lancair?

Old 03-19-2004, 06:35 PM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What servos for a GP Lancair?

Well, since is it IMAA legal, I thought I'd post it in here...

But this one is pretty straight forward, what do you all recommend for servos for a GP Lancair? I don't plan on pulling too many acrobatics with this plane, but I don't with it to fail either. Does anyone have any experience with servos on the ailerons, rudder, elevator, ect...?

thanks
Old 03-19-2004, 09:47 PM

Default RE: What servos for a GP Lancair?

Page 3 fo the GP manual, heading Radio Equipment, indicates a minimum of 41 oz servos all around. In the picture they used the Futaba S3001 Precision BB Torq @4.8V- 44/..23 & @6V 57/.19 Top/Oilite 1.6X.8X1.4 1.60. and in Henry Korczak review of the Lancair in the RCU magazine used S3004 Standard BB 44/.23 57/.19 Top 1.6 x .8 x 1.4 1.30.

In other words most Standard servos should do. It may be useful to step up in the torque. You would have to consider increasing your weight verse, cost and brand preference.
I have JR, so I mix JR and Hitec Servos usually with 50+ oz of torque for planes above the .40 range. More if I'm 3ding a .40.

My 2 cents.

__________________________________________________ ______
MAX
Old 03-20-2004, 11:18 AM

I have now built three GP Lancairs. Only one was mine. Pretty much any standard servo will work. The original has JR 537's and Hitec 425's. The second has all Hitec 425's. The third has a mixture of JR 811's and Hitec 425's. No problems whatsoever.

I also installed one servo per elevator half, bringing the total number of servos up to 8 per plane. It is really easy to do and is a small insurance policy. On any of my planes with a .60 size engine or higher, I install a servo on every surface. Some people will say overkill, but I don't want to crash a $700 plane because some $15 servo fails. Last week while out flying, a larger Cap crashed because of a servo failure. He probably would have been able to recover if he had a servo per elevator half.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:45 PM
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm building one now.
The aileron servo bay is very shallow.
My plan is to glue a standard servo in place with the mounting tabs cut off.
No plastic covers from the kit (these are really ugly). I plan to just monokote right over the top of them. They seem to just make it below the surface so they will be hidden.
If I was to spend a little money I would go with Hitec HS 85s with the metal gears. In this case mount them to a cover plate and screw the plate in place. This would be the best setup.
Don't forget to beef up the wing center section. Lots of reviews on wings snapping in two.