Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Carbon Fiber (CF) Spinner destroys itself

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Carbon Fiber (CF) Spinner destroys itself

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 08:48 PM
DMcQuinn
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbon Fiber (CF) Spinner destroys itself

My first experience with a CF spinner. Bought a Pete's Models 4.5 inch spinner from RC Showcase ($100). Cut out around the wood prop leaving about 1/8 inch clearance. Screwed the 6 button head screws to the backplate reasonably snugly. After about 60 seconds of warm-up, I advanced the throttle of the 3W 100 twin. The CF spinner left the backplate and was destroyed. 5 of the 6 screw holes were torn out. I noticed no vibration. I shut down the engine. The backplate had 2 of the 6 screws still in it. My theory is that the screws loosened up and allowed the spinner to vibrate itself from the screws. then, with no more tension on the screws, some of them also departed. If the screws had come completely off first, then the holes would not have been torn through. I have another one coming ($55 for just the CF part). What do I do differently?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57880.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	116715  
Old 03-29-2004, 09:12 PM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Carbon Fiber (CF) Spinner destroys itself

Yeah they do have their problems, Mine was the exact opposite, the screws didnt want to come out and I was forced to cut it[:@]
Old 03-29-2004, 09:36 PM
DMichael
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Carbon Fiber (CF) Spinner destroys itself

Sorry to hear about that.

I have a Pete's Models 5" spinner on a ZDZ 160. I have found that it's a good idea to dump the small screws that come with it and substitute regular socket head 4-40's. You can tighten and untighten them more with more security. Small amount of locktite can be used as well. With the button heads that come with it, you just strip them out.

Dave
Old 12-10-2021, 08:20 AM
jak_kkaall

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Would a ply ring glued in the middle on the inside of the cfspinner make it more structurally stable and more rigid? I've already avoided the joints of the segments that make the spinner, when cutting the prop holes and used a band of epoxy on the interior edge of the holes to prevent spreading cracks. Also using blue locktite on the 6 button screws. But the idea that some had their cfspinner explode runs through my head. I love the looks and really need the low weight.