Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Wing tube failure at center due to holes drilled in tube

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Wing tube failure at center due to holes drilled in tube

Old 05-22-2004, 01:47 PM
DMcQuinn
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wing tube failure at center due to holes drilled in tube

Here's a failure that I have not run in to yet (until yesterday). Entered a snap from medium speed and both wings separated from the plane (35% CAP). The aluminum tube broke in two at the exact center. I had three holes drilled (for number 6 screw) to lock the tube inside of the phenolic housing. The reason there was three holes is that I have rotated the tube over the years in order to make new holes at the ends of the tubes (where the wings are screwed to the tube). This plane has done hundreds (maybe thousands) of snap rolls and other agressive manuevers (walls, blenders, etc.), and the tube finally snapped. The fuselage was destroyed in the resulting "lawn dart", but the wings fluttered down unscathed. In the future I will never drill a tube anywhere the middle, but rather, use a clamp to lock the tube to the fuse.
Old 05-22-2004, 01:56 PM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Wing tube failure at center due to holes drilled in tube

I have never understood the need to anchor the tube in the fuse. Once the wings are bolted on, the tube is going nowhere.

What am I missing?
Old 05-22-2004, 02:09 PM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: Dick T.

I have never understood the need to anchor the tube in the fuse. Once the wings are bolted on, the tube is going nowhere.

What am I missing?
The phenolic tubes inside the swings of many planes are longer than the tubes. This will allow the tube to slide farther into a wing more than half way of the length of the tube.

If this happens you have a long tube in one wing and a short tube in the other. You can fail the tube or over stress the wing doing this.

The preferred method of stopping the tube from sliding is a simple hose clamp at the center. Just snug the clamp up and the tube will never mover.

And as was learned by the originator of this thread NEVER drill holes near the stress points of a tube.

Bill
Old 05-22-2004, 02:56 PM
Pinhead159
My Feedback: (33)

even tho the tub can slide farther into one wing than the other, if he has holes drilled at the ends to hold the wing one the tube still cannot move.
Chris
Old 05-23-2004, 08:56 AM
rcdoug
My Feedback: (8)

Chris,

Some designs don't use screws in the end of the tube to hold the wings on. Just bolts through the fuselage into the wing. A small clamp works fine in that situation.

Doug Wheeler
Old 05-23-2004, 12:11 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

i see everyone that wants it to say in place use a hose clamp i dont put anything on mine as it will only slide 1-2 inches at best on any of my birds if not i anchor a piece of wood inside the wing to prevent the tube from moving, although some tube are drilled and tap on the end for some birds this has worked great 2
Old 05-23-2004, 12:23 PM
RC_Flyer

It seems to me from reading all the post and watching them at the field, that the large R/C aircraft have more failures than the standard size. I’m beginning to wonder if the AMA should limit the size of R/C aircraft for our own protection. I love the big iron but……
Old 05-23-2004, 12:36 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

more and more folks can get into the bigger birds because of ARF and credit cards he he they is why u see them more than yesterday
Old 05-23-2004, 01:10 PM
stomper
My Feedback: (20)

If the wing sockets are to long and allow the tube to move from side to side, then just ad the proper thicknes blocks glued down inside the sockets to keep the tube center.

Never drill holes in the center of the tube!!
Old 05-23-2004, 11:05 PM
capthis
My Feedback: (67)

ORIGINAL: www.panteraplace.com

It seems to me from reading all the post and watching them at the field, that the large R/C aircraft have more failures than the standard size. I’m beginning to wonder if the AMA should limit the size of R/C aircraft for our own protection. I love the big iron but……
You're kidding right?? It always seems like something doesn't it? (yet hardly ever is!) I bet if you were to do a study of flight failures, and crashes, you will find that big planes are actually safer, and have a better track record. I think the biggest reason for this would be because most people flying the big planes have several hundred dollars invested, and take more time setting things up, preflights, etc... Big planes are becoming more prevealent, due to more being manufactured, assesories becoming less expensive etc, so you will prolly see more at the field. Things are also getting better every day, radios are more reliable, servos stronger, engines more reliable. All this being said we should defineatly get the ama involved to pass on some more rules to "keep us all safe" In the famoud words of John Stossell, "Give Me a Break!"

R/C airplanes crash! It's a fact of life, and yes big planes can cause more damage than smaller planes. But the last thing we need is more rules! [:'(]
Old 05-24-2004, 12:27 AM
akflyer
My Feedback: (7)

www.panteraplace.com

I bet you vote for a bigger government too huh.... The ABSOLUTE LAST THING we need is for the AMA to give us another darn rule of put a smaller cap on the maximum size plane we can fly. Hands down, there are more out of control 40 size trainers burning in and causing near misses in the pits or over the flight line. MOST people who fly the bigger planes are a little more skilled then the guy with the trainer, not to mention you are talking about 300-500 versus 3000-6000.
Old 05-24-2004, 07:56 AM
JBrannon
My Feedback: (3)

Its amazing how quickly the uninformed turn these threads into an aurguement thats adds absulutly nothing to the comminuty. Thats the reason most RC fliers dont visit these sites and those that do refrain from posting.

The reason there was three holes is that I have rotated the tube over the years in order to make new holes at the ends of the tubes (where the wings are screwed to the tube).
He says in the first post that the wings were screwed to the tube at each end, there for the center screws were not needed. If one of the wing screws came out the plane would crash any way. I use screws in the wings and none in the center.

Joe
Old 05-24-2004, 08:01 AM
taxman232ex

It also seems to me that this is spam since you made a nearly identical post in the AMA forum. Quit being such a douche and just go away!

Taxman
Old 05-24-2004, 10:59 AM
JBrannon
My Feedback: (3)

Its a fact that the largest percentage of RC crashes are trainers, also the largest percent of out of control planes that cause people to to run for cover are trainers also, so you want to ban those to? Go out to your field and document crashes and you will see I am correct.

Old 05-24-2004, 12:12 PM
sillyness
My Feedback: (25)

I'd like to propose a ban on chicken wings and legs. Those bones are entirely too hazardous. All it takes is someone near you to tell a joke... next thing you know you could have one stuck in your throat sideways. I'm going to post a plea on the FDA website.

Also... it's a proven fact that traction goes WAY down when the roads are wet... driving in the rain must be stopped. I'll be logging on to DOT.

Who's with me???
Old 05-24-2004, 01:01 PM
stomper

ORIGINAL: sillyness

I'd like to propose a ban on chicken wings and legs. Those bones are entirely too hazardous. All it takes is someone near you to tell a joke... next thing you know you could have one stuck in your throat sideways. I'm going to post a plea on the FDA website.

Also... it's a proven fact that traction goes WAY down when the roads are wet... driving in the rain must be stopped. I'll be logging on to DOT.

Who's with me???
Old 05-24-2004, 01:30 PM
capthis
My Feedback: (67)

For anyone who hasn't seen the other thread he started here you go! http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Gian...1839356/tm.htm

I am just glad to see I am not the only one who thought that post was totally off base!
Old 05-24-2004, 03:41 PM
figueroa
My Feedback: (22)

It seems like this j%$k is jealous because he can't afford a large scale plane. The best he can do is make off the wall comments .
Old 05-24-2004, 09:44 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I was wondering if there were any stress marks on the tube?
Old 05-25-2004, 01:23 PM
DMcQuinn
My Feedback: (13)

Here is a picture of the wing tube. The phenolic tube around the aluminum tube was also broken in half. The reason I used the screw into the tube was just to make it easier to align the tube. I remove the tube from the fuse and both wings for transport. When assembling, it is easier to get the tube positioned so that the ends of the tube are aligned with the holes in the bottom of the wings. I was using the method of connection whereby there is a #6 screw from the bottom of each wing in to the last inch of tube. This is the method recommended by the kit manufacturer (Carden) for retaining the wings on the tube. NOTE that Carden does NOT recommend drilling any holes in the middle like I did.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu62083.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	136302  
Old 05-25-2004, 01:54 PM
stomper

ORIGINAL: DMcQuinn

Here is a picture of the wing tube. The phenolic tube around the aluminum tube was also broken in half. The reason I used the screw into the tube was just to make it easier to align the tube. I remove the tube from the fuse and both wings for transport. When assembling, it is easier to get the tube positioned so that the ends of the tube are aligned with the holes in the bottom of the wings. I was using the method of connection whereby there is a #6 screw from the bottom of each wing in to the last inch of tube. This is the method recommended by the kit manufacturer (Carden) for retaining the wings on the tube. NOTE that Carden does NOT recommend drilling any holes in the middle like I did.
Well I now what your talking about as I have the H9 Cap and the wing bolts up the same way. I just slip the tube into one of the wings
and install that cap screw lose, then slip the tube and wing into the fuse and that alligns the other wing panel/tube for it's own cap screw.

I really don't like this methed of wing attachment at all, but now understand the holes in the center.
Sorry for your loss.